Buyer lied about item condition to get a full refund.

torukia
Community Member

-I videotaped that the item worked.

-I sent the item to the buyer.

-The buyer forced a return, claimed not working.

-I received it, recorded unpacking, turn it on... it work. But there is damage to the item. (Was brand new)

-Called Ebay, asked what to do, was told to report buyer and do nothing more. To not issue refund and wait.

-Waited, refund window closed. Buyer immediately opened case.

-Called Ebay, asked what to do, was told again to not do anything and that i do not not need to provide my proofs yet.

-Waited not even one day, case closed, buyer receive full refund.

-Called again, asked what to do next, was told the case was reviewed, that the decision was final and that this situation was un-appeal-able. I was recommended to not open disputes in the future. And that the way i handled the case was wrong. That i should not have had ebay step in. (???)

-Received an other email, that my appeal was denied. (???)

So the first 2 calls, they're talking like the buyer is doing something illegal and that it will be handled and i have nothing to do yet.

The 3rd call, the guy talk like i did something wrong.

I'm down a lot of money and confused?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

tyler@ebay  -- sounds like some customer service reps need more training...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

But there is damage to the item. (Was brand new)

I agree.

EBay doesn't do much about "he said/she said" discussions.

If the problem you reported was that he said the item didn't work and you said the item did work, they will decide for the buyer almost inevitably.

But if you had reported that the brand new item was returned damaged, the outcome might have been different. Returned items are required to be as shipped.

Sometimes it comes down to choosing the right argument.

You may be able to get a courtesty refund of the payment from eBay. Maybe.

Meanwhile you have a working item, with (cosmetic?) damage available for resale. I hope you will relist it at a selling price that will cover your costs including procurement, eBay and Paypal fees, and shipping both ways.

And put the customer on your Blocked Buyer List.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

-I videotaped that the item worked.

So you opened the box and operated the item?

It was then no longer "brand new".

A lot of sellers just love to videotape things.

But eBay can't tell if the item you taped is the item you sent.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

But if you had reported that the brand new item was returned damaged, the outcome might have been different. Returned items are required to be as shipped.

That was and may still be in the rules but eBay no longer takes that into account.  They expect the seller to refund the money regardless and then the seller may appeal.  Even then, the seller is  unlikely to be made whole.  If the op was actually told just to wait and not told of the possible consequences, customer service  gave bad advice.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

We have to anticipate everything we sell will be returned (and sometimes not even returned!) for a full refund.

As such, I have "rules" to minimize loss:

1. I don't sell anything more than $100 (including shipping costs).

2. Never sell things with moving parts - they should always be sold locally for cash. I have made a few exceptions (a Lego train set and other toys).

3. Always communicate kindly and promptly with buyers. They're not always bad on purpose.

Sorry about your item.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Well recording from the time you receive the package from the postman and sign, then unpack, and turn on the item, is plenty of proof on the state of the received item. That's what i did.

I taped the Serial Number before sending and sealing the send and it matched the one i taped when i received.

I guess my point was, Ebay reps gave me instructions. Bad ones. Then told me i would be asked to provide proof later into the case.

And then someone else picked up the case and closed it immediately.

Rep said any proof i would have, did not matter at this point because the case was already reviewed. That the buyer claimed there was a problem *for him* and that give him the right for a full refund at the buyer's full expenses no matter what.

Regarding damage to the item. He said "Yeah Ebay can't help you, you should have insured the item". I told him i did, but the guy taking a hammer to the item before shipping it does not qualify for a valid shipping insurance claim. The buyer kept the item for a long time before asking for a return, so who knows.

For whats about talking to the customer nicely and all, i'd say i do. But this one never contacted me about any issue, he just opened a defective item case and lobbied for a full refund and permission to return.

He entered a obvious fake reason and let Ebay do the work for him after that.

Just another salt story about Ebay facilitating fraud/scam/extorsion against sellers, or however you'd like to  call it.

Ebay reps did things i did not ask of them, told me i was doing the right thing and that notes were put on my account that i just needed to refer to next time i called. Well i didn't get to call back, because i was instantly shafted. When i did call back, last rep said "Oh yeah, there are notes. They won't change anything." GG.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply