Buyer made mistake when buying - do I have to refund shipping cost?

I had a buyer recently purchase a magazine form me. Cost was $10 + $8 (shipping).

Buyer opened a return request when she received it. Apparently, after receiveing the magazine she says that she relized that she purhcased the incorrect month/issue of the magazine that she wanted. She sent a separate message to me stating there was absolutely nothing wrong with the mag and thanked me for the great quick delivery/service. So basically she stated the error was entirely from her end.

I am OK with her returning the magazine for a refund of the item cost, but with this scenario where the error was admittedly all on her end, do I need to refund any shipping cost at all?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

byto253
Community Member
The buyer is on the hook for shipping both ways. But because it is a partial refund you will not have fees refunded. Not fair on the fees but the way it is.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I realize that fees are not credited on a partial refund however, if the buyer open a remorse return eBay does give the option of refunding in full or less the original shipping.  Since that is specified on the refund screen I think (but can't confirm) that fvf's are credited whichever choice the seller makes.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If you are giving a partial refund, there is nothing that says you have to refund the entire selling price. You can reduce it by the amount of the fees that eBay still charges you.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks to all for the input.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply