Buyer offering same as buy it now price??

Hello,
I am a new Canadian seller and I am curious as to why a buyer would offer me a price equal to the asking price? Is this another seller trying to have my item hidden while I wait for funds??
On top of that I counter-offered the same price and also asked for “payment within 2 days. Item will be shipped when funds are received.” As to not have my item hidden from serious buyers while waiting to get paid. The offer was canceled once counteroffer was received.

What’s going on??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

DC’s General Store
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'm not sure of your buying audience's average age, but from my selling area (stamps) I at least have some aged customers (I'm only "moderately aged" 😉 ) and I think sometimes we assume our buyers have a working knowledge of eBay.

I have lately had a LOT of buyers telling me they've purchased stuff when it is only in their shopping cart and they don't understand I can't see what is in their shopping cart.

So as an "alternate universe" perspective, buyer thinks they have to put an offer in, they put an offer in the seller counter offers the same price, the buyer thinks "why is he doing that" and they get nervous and cancel the counter offer.

One of the dangers of reading all the problems folks post here in the boards is that it tends to make us start to think all buyers are criminals which they aren't of course.

As a new seller it is GREAT that you are frequenting here because over time it will save you time and $$$, but you'll have to keep my caveat above in mind.

Seeing what you're selling I would be surprised if it was a scammer or competitor, but that is only my guess.....in my world I would simply have accepted it and if my spider senses were tingling I would have sent with tracking....

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"I have lately had a LOT of buyers telling me they've purchased stuff when it is only in their shopping cart and they don't understand I can't see what is in their shopping cart."

I have had the same thing from Buyers also recently, they assume that we Sellers can "See" what they have put in their "cart" this may actually be a problem...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

"I have lately had a LOT of buyers telling me they've purchased stuff when it is only in their shopping cart and they don't understand I can't see what is in their shopping cart."

I have had the same thing from Buyers also recently, they assume that we Sellers can "See" what they have put in their "cart" this may actually be a problem...

The only thing I can confirm is if you put something in your shopping cart and don't pay within a certain timeframe you WILL get messages from eBay reminding you.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I don't know if this is a scam in your case but there is a similar scam aimed at newer  sellers. The buyer will offer the same or a higher amount to avoid going through the buy it now / checkout system.   Then they will often send a message to the seller asking for their text as they have 'questions' or want their email address so that they can pay through paypal.  They obviously don't need a sellers email to pay and any questions can be answered through messages. But once they have the email address they can send a fake notice from ebay and or paypal showing that the item has been paid for. They are hoping the seller will send the item without checking to see if they were really paid.  Since new sellers payments are often held, it can be confusing.

I'm not sure how these scame work now that most sellers are in MP and not receive payment directly through PP but the scam is definitely still around.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Remember most criminals are not too bright. And it takes a while for them to notice there have been changes.

Also, the newbies they are targetting are also unaware of the quirks of the site.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 's comments are very valid.

Because of the way you responded and the "buyer" dropped the case we'll never know for sure if it was a scam in the works, but that scenario is certainly a very possible one. (If I had to bet I'd probably bet on pjc's "universe" ahead of my "universe" scenario).

The most important learning from the possibilities as a new seller though is to keep everything, communication etc all inside eBay processes. The protections for you as well reside in the ebay processes.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Awesome reply!

It’s a pretty intimidating place when your starting out and I am most definitely on guard.
From someone with no knowledge of the many processes and options involved with selling here I can appreciate what your saying.
I will give my future buyers the benefit of the doubt. Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply