Buyer open a dispute after leaving positive feedback

loml888
Community Member

Buyer opened a dispute from a transaction that was over a month ago. They left positive feedback. Now they are unhappy with an item even though i disclosed in the listing the defect they are unhappy with. Paypal has also deducted her payment now and it is pending. Not sure what to do. If I decline the return will paypal deposit the money. 

Any help would be appreciated

Nancy

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Buyer open a dispute after leaving positive feedback

PayPal will hold the funds until they complete the review of the Buyer's SNAD claim. If they find in your favor they will release the funds back to you. If they find in the Buyer's favor they will require the Buyer to send the item back to you at their own expense and they (YOU) will refund  the Buyer the original purchase price + original shipping costs. You will still have to pay the PayPal transaction fees on the purchase.

I don't think you have anything to lose by declining the return at this point (if it is just a Buyer request and not a PayPal final decision. PayPal could find in your favor saying the item was/is as described and the Buyer is not eligible for a return/refund.

paypal1.PNG

paypal.PNG

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The positive feedback has nothing to do with the Dispute.

Go for the return for full refund as described.

At least you keep the positive feedback,

Probably not the best place to put this, but I have been told that DHL will sell you a Return Shipping Label that will work internationally. If you do this let us know if it really does work?

Also make sure the label says Returned Merchandise, so you don't get charged border fees.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Well just look on the bright side - at least they can't leave you negative feed back.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I don't think you have anything to lose by declining the return at this point (if it is just a Buyer request and not a PayPal final decision.

REALLY bad advice. If the OP declines the return, the buyer will escalate and will automatically win since it's a SNAD claim. That will leave the OP accepting the return AND getting a unresolved by seller super defect.

The only "safe" way is to call eBay or PayPal (it's not clear from the OP where the claim was opened), you want o know with certainty that they will close the claim on the sellers favour right then and there on the phone before even uttering anything about "asking eBay to step in".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. The buyer has just requested a return and my PayPal funds from this purchase will be unavailable while this request is open.

I have these choices to respond:

Accept the return
Provide a return shipping label or postage to the buyer via email. You are responsible for the shipping cost. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.

Give a full refund
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.

Offer a partial refund
You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.

Decline the return
This will automatically close the buyer's request.

Send the buyer a message
You can reply to the buyer.

I feel like since I disclosed the defect in the listing, I should decline the return. But what happens if they escalate it.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, I had assumed the Buyer had gone through PayPal for the return request since the ebay transaction was over a month ago, my bad , a PayPal snad claim doesn't get you an ebay defect for the transaction though ~ correct?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If a seller declines the return in a PayPal case,  the buyer escalates the claim and PayPal rules in their favour, the seller will,likely receive an unresolved claim defect.

from my dashboard....

Transaction period: Mar 01, 2016 - Feb 28, 2017
A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.

Have to say I'm surprised to read that.   I didn't think that eBay had access to PP business any longer but it sounds like they do, although the blurb is a little unclear.

It seems to be saying that a case can be flipped from eBay over to PP when escalated.  (???)

Also "seems" to be saying that eBay has access to the outcome of PP only cases.

Did I read that correctly?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

eBay knows if a buyer has been refunded through PayPal or through a PayPal case so they do have access to PP info when it relates to an eBay sale. 

I dont find find the info unclear.  They are just saying that an unresolved claim will result in a defect if an eBay claim is opened in eBay ,escalated and found in the buyers favour OR if a PP case is opened, escalated and found in a buyers favour.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

(PJ wrote:  from my dashboard....
Transaction period: Mar 01, 2016 - Feb 28, 2017
A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.)

The blurb mentions """....escalating a case to PayPal for review...."""

It seems to be saying that a case can be opened on eBay and then escalated to PP.   Really?  That seems odd.

Also, how does eBay know if a PP case was escalated or if the seller just refunded right away?

In a previous thread someone posed the question of whether a case could be opened on PP if the case was lost on eBay but no one seemed to know the answer.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

(Having trouble with posts.)

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

How much does this item cost? Is it "small" enough to chuck it up to regular operational losses? if they do return it, is it likely for you to be able to resell it and still be profitable after paying the buyer the return shipping? 

I personally would respond to the buyer first and mentioned that the defects were all noted in the listings to begin with, so you're unable to accept a return, and that the item price were set with the item defects into consideration. Then leave the question open by asking them if there is anything else you can do for them. See what they say next. Choose the option "Send the buyer a message. You can reply to the buyer." to communicate and send the ball back to their court. 

If they suggest a partial refund and if the amount they ask is reasonable, personally I'd go with the partial refund route instead of outright declining the return, since I wouldn't want to risk getting a defect from declining the return. If they did leave you positive feedback in the first place I think the buyer simply missed the fact that you described the defect in the listing since nowadays a lot of people buy with smartphone and might not read everything in an item listing description. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It seems to be saying that a case can be opened on eBay and then escalated to PP. Really? That seems odd.

Yes that would be odd but that isn't what it is saying. You don't open a case on eBay you open a request  and if it isn't resolved you ask eBay to step in.  On PP you open a case which can later be escalated. The terms are different on each site so it is not referring to opening a case on eBay....there's no such thing in eBay speak right now.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply