Buyer stated package not delivered, I refunded. Now see through tracking item was delivered after

So I sold a $40 item to a US buyer and used Tracked Package. The contact me stating they have not gotten the item and tracking states that notification was left with details of where buyer could pick it up. They said they did not get that. I asked them to contact their local post office and provided tracking. They said the post office could not verify where the item was, so I refunded. I now see the tracking states "Item was Successfully Delivered" a couple days after I refunded. In retrospect, I should have gotten eBay involved or contacted the Post Office myself, but here I am.

I have contacted the buyer through eBay to ask that they return the refund but want to know if I have any other recourse through eBay or PayPal if they do not return the money or even return my message.

Thanks in advance,

BSN

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer stated package not delivered, I refunded. Now see through tracking item was delivered afte

No, you don't have any recourse with ebay as they can not take the money back from buyers.

It might be 'easier' for the buyer to refund if you send them an invoice through PP. Use the ebay item number to reference the item.  If you don't see their PP email address, open the original transaction on PP, click on 'switch to classic site' and the email address should show up there.

Generally when the tracking says that notice has been left, ebay considers it the buyer's responsibility to pick up the item or arrange for another delivery.  I believe that in most cases, they would consider the package as being delivered and that if an item not received claim was opened, you would have a good chance of winning it.  In this case perhaps the post office really didn't know where it was or perhaps the buyer was just waiting to see what you would do.  We can only guess. But in a situation like this it is a good idea before you refund to ask for suggestions on the discussion board and also to phone ebay and see what they say.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Buyer stated package not delivered, I refunded. Now see through tracking item was delivered afte

I’m sorry to hear this.

You refunded well ahead of when you were required. Now, all that you can do is hope your buyer is honest and will send you that money back.

Next time, yes, ask the buyer to open a case. This keeps everything on the level.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

No, you don't have any recourse with ebay as they can not take the money back from buyers.

It might be 'easier' for the buyer to refund if you send them an invoice through PP. Use the ebay item number to reference the item.  If you don't see their PP email address, open the original transaction on PP, click on 'switch to classic site' and the email address should show up there.

Generally when the tracking says that notice has been left, ebay considers it the buyer's responsibility to pick up the item or arrange for another delivery.  I believe that in most cases, they would consider the package as being delivered and that if an item not received claim was opened, you would have a good chance of winning it.  In this case perhaps the post office really didn't know where it was or perhaps the buyer was just waiting to see what you would do.  We can only guess. But in a situation like this it is a good idea before you refund to ask for suggestions on the discussion board and also to phone ebay and see what they say.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

yes, you reacted to quickly. First off when it says item is available for pick up at your local post office, it sometimes take 24 plus hours to get to their actual pick up post office..

so now i would send the buyer a polite note, saying, i see now that your item has been received, so i am going to go ahead and send you a paypal request for payment. then all you can do is cross your fingers. and hope they do the right thing..

Best of luck to you.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for this information. I'll try the invoice through Paypal to see if it gets any traction. I really regret not letting eBay make the decision and should have sought out advice from the community sooner. Well, I'll not make that mistake next time. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply