Buyer wants a full refund...

Long story short, I messed up my quantity numbers and sold out of an item a buyer was expecting, I offered a substitution, they agreed to accept it.

They received the substituted item and now do not want it and are not happy with it and want a full refund.

Do I just throw money at the problem to make it go away and give them a full refund or escalate it and ask for them to ship the item back on my expense, last time I asked another buyer to do that, it made the buyer even more upset...
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your last customer is not your present customer. Don't be afraid.

You can send a Return Shipping Label and refund on reciept.

If the buyer is in the USA, you can buy a USPS return shipping label through Shippo.

You send the pdf, with a cheery note telling the upset customer that you will refund in full when you get the unwanted item back.

If he doesn't use the label and doesn't return it, you don't refund. Eventually the cost of the Label will be refunded.

There is no reason to believe that refunding the customer will make him happier or make him leave positive feedback.  Bullies happen.

Basic position:  NO REFUNDS WITHOUT RETURN.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Your last customer is not your present customer. Don't be afraid.

You can send a Return Shipping Label and refund on reciept.

If the buyer is in the USA, you can buy a USPS return shipping label through Shippo.

You send the pdf, with a cheery note telling the upset customer that you will refund in full when you get the unwanted item back.

If he doesn't use the label and doesn't return it, you don't refund. Eventually the cost of the Label will be refunded.

There is no reason to believe that refunding the customer will make him happier or make him leave positive feedback.  Bullies happen.

Basic position:  NO REFUNDS WITHOUT RETURN.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

As with any of these situations they can be handled many different ways.

You don't mention how much the item is worth,  knowing that would help a lot.

It is important to keep in mind it is "your fault" the buyer is in this situation, so I do think cutting them a break is more important than a normal situation.

If the item is not worth much here is what I have done in the past:

-advise them it is ok to send the item back

-advise them that in a gesture of trust you'll refund them for the full value now so they can send the item back for the most economical way possible.

This way runs the risk the buyer just keeps it, I don't know the "morals" level of your buyers, but mine (in the stamp world) I think every time have returned on their own dime with no issues (note that I have only had a couple over the years, it isn't a common problem for me so I might just have been lucky).

I do know that when I've left the trust in the hands of the buyers, some have returned and purchased thousands more dollars of stuff from me with no problems......

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You didn't say what the item is.

If you make a miscalculation it is your mistake, the customer shouldn'y be treated as a burden (I'm not saying you have).

I would try and locate the exact product in almost the exact condition or better even if it costs slightly more. I would explain my situation to the customer, apologize and then ask if they would like a refund or would they like for me to purchase the item and send it to them.

If I can't get a hold of the item I would offer an apology and a refund. If ever I were to come across the item in question on eBay I would send them a PM with the link.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply