Buyers opening case that item not received

Looking for some suggestions/thoughts how to handle...

Here is the scenario. Say, i have listed an item including an explicity condition in my listing 'if buyers buy without tracking shipping option or whatever, as a seller, i do not have any control but still i do take pics of package as shipped from local post office & then send to buyer and hence for some reasons if buyers do not receive the item or any delay, this does not entertain any refund from me as seller.

Now question is: Buyers still escalate the case saying item not received & then i put some time in clarifying or sending package pic to buyer, etc. but still my payment is hold until they receive or close the case.

Where is my fault here as a seller? i still have indicated all explicity conditions cleary and transparently and any reason why ebay still even accepts such escalations? 

thanks in advance for all your time

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ebay has a money back guarantee that supersedes your terms and conditions. If you send something without tracking, and the customer opens an "item not received" case, you will lose each and every time. Sellers cannot make up their own terms and conditions, ebay does that for us.

Taking pictures, or making a video of yourself packing and sending the item is a waste of effort. Ebay will never entertain that as evidence. Pictures and videos can be doctored. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

But in one of my old cases, i got resolution as 'This item isn't eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee'. So trying to understand how did they differentiate this or how do we know based on what its money back or not?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

There are some items (digitally delivered I believe, for example) that are not eligible. Almost everything is, though. Look up the MBG on the site and they will spell out what is and isn't eligible. But if you are selling something that is eligible, you need tracking to protect yourself. Or, if it's a lower cost item that doesn't justify spending the extra, you take your chances.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Taking photos of your shipment is not a complete waste. While it won't help you with an INR or with scammers, it certainly DOES help ease the mind of some buyers that may be getting impatient waiting for their lettermail, or resolve their trust issues.

As for "doctoring" photos and video... I had one buyer accuse me of that for a $20 item, along with fake feedback. Sigh... I sell dozens of low valued items every week. It must really take someone with several missing brain cells to think that high volume sellers sit around doctoring photos and manufacturing fake feedback on a bunch of $10-$20 items. But I digress...

I always leave follow-up feedback ("Sorry your item hasn't arrived yet. Your refund was issued today") for my INRers to warn other sellers. Then I block them. I typically do the same for my SNADers.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The question your post raises for me is: If you have so little faith in your choice of shipping method getting stuff to your buyers, why are you using that shipping method?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Say, i have listed an item including an explicity condition in my listing 'if buyers buy without tracking shipping option or whatever, as a seller, i do not have any control but still i do take pics of package as shipped from local post office & then send to buyer and hence for some reasons if buyers do not receive the item or any delay, this does not entertain any refund from me as seller.

Don't do that.

Never tell a customer that the transaction might not go perfectly.

Don't poke a sleeping bear.

Never tell a customer that you are shipping without tracking.

Never tell a customer that Canada Post has been having problems with deadlines.

It may not be your FAULT, but delays in transit are your RESPONSIBILITY.

Having a photo of the ready to ship item might give your customer her warm fuzzies, but neither eBay nor Paypal will be interested. The (third party) tracking number is what they want.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Well..I give atleast 2 shipping options to customers one cheapest kind of small packets or letter mail without tracking and the 2nd one With tracking which is usually expensive than 1st one. So customers most of the times decide to go with cheap shipping options especially if the item itself is just $20 and cheapest shipping to US is say $10 and then with tracking , its much more expensive.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Why do you give them that choice? You’ve already observed that most of your buyers have figured out that receiving their item is more important than being able to track it and will pay accordingly. The tracking is for your protection, not theirs.

As an aside, consider enrolling in Canada Post’s Solutions for Small Business program so you can send those domestic Regular Parcels as domestic Expedited Parcels for the same price and with up to $100 insurance included.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Say, i have listed an item including an explicity condition in my listing 'if buyers buy without tracking shipping option or whatever, as a seller, i do not have any control but still i do take pics of package as shipped from local post office & then send to buyer and hence for some reasons if buyers do not receive the item or any delay, this does not entertain any refund from me as seller.

Don't do that.

Never tell a customer that the transaction might not go perfectly.

Don't poke a sleeping bear.

Never tell a customer that you are shipping without tracking.

Never tell a customer that Canada Post has been having problems with deadlines.

It may not be your FAULT, but delays in transit are your RESPONSIBILITY.

Having a photo of the ready to ship item might give your customer her warm fuzzies, but neither eBay nor Paypal will be interested. The (third party) tracking number is what they want.

Good point to bring up.

I had a recent customer who wanted a item delivered by a certain date. Even with an upgrade in shipping it most likely wouldn't arrive until a few days after due to my experience. The customer got the package the day before the deadline but I don't think the person appreciated my pessimistic viewpoint.

The lesson learned is better to be chewed out for having tried then hated for not trying at all.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply