Buyers that use the wrong return reason

So, recently I've been receiving return requests with the wrong return reasons. For example, one buyer stated an item didn't fit, but opened a return case, stating "Item wasn't as described". I provided measurements and even provided extra measurements when I was asked by the buyer. I called eBay help centre, and didn't receive any help. 

Of course, I was forced to pay for the return shipping. I don't think this was very fair, but eBay has done nothing to fix the problem, even after they admitted that the return case was wrongly opened. This isn't the first time this happened; another time, a buyer stated the item wasn't as described because the "colour wasn't correct" and I had given clear pictures, as well as stated the colour of the item twice. Again, forced to pay return shipping. 

Is there anything I can do in this case? Has anyone else had this problem? I've had to just put them down as write offs. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It's a business expense.

You can give measurements, but even then the item may not fit the body with those measurements.

For example, I carry a lot of weight on my upper arms. Do you provide that measurement?

You can put in the bust measurement, but do you say how measurement is at the front of the garment and how much at the back? A dress cut for a bosomy woman is uncomfortably tight on a woman with a small bosom, but a wide back, though both could measure 44" around.

And colour? If you say red, do you mean cherry? or scarlet? or brick?  We all know monitors differ on colour.

Sigh.

Basically it comes down to who will pay for the return.

If the buyer chooses "not as described", and let's face it most will, you can either pay for return shipping and refund, or allow the customer to keep the garment and refund.

Best to get a saleable garment back and recoup at least part of the loss by reselling.

And here we go with Cookie Jar Insurance , which is basically adding a small amount to every asking price as a self-insurance premium that goes into a virtual Cookie Jar until it is needed to cover costs like return shipping, or losses when a garment turns out to be unsaleable and is donated, or items damaged or lost or delayed in transit.

And the inevitable day when you sell a green sweater and a purple blouse and send the sweater to the blouse customer and the blouse to the sweater customer and only one complains.

Not every transaction will go perfectly. That's why we have Blocked Bidder Lists.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

After you have received the item back and have refunded, you can appeal the case. If you win, you eBay may refund the return shipping cost that you paid.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply