CS Told Me That They Do Not Handle International Disputes!

I was already in a mood dealing with a dispute with a Canadian customer who appears to be trying to pull a fast one.

(Image supplied was suspicious, Image requested was not forthcoming.)

When the agent told me that CS did not get involved in international deputes you could have knocked me off my chair with a feather!

I asked to speak to some one higher up the chain of command and though she had been putting me on hold several times to get information for me, there was no one available on a Friday morning.

So what are we suppose to do?

Are we hung out to dry because eBay.com shut down the Vancouver office?

Is there a .ca customer service?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

"Is there a .ca customer service?"

Unfortunately not.

All inquiries are routed to the same "customer service" function with most employees located in the Philippines (and a few hundred in the USA).  They mostly handle domestic (USA) inquiries and often do not have the proper training to handle questions specific to Canadians.

It may be easier to post your question here.  Many experienced users may be able to guide you.

The Vancouver customer service department (with 700 employees) was closed seven years ago.

http://tamebay.com/2009/05/ebay-closes-vancouver-customer-service-centre.html

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I'm going to assume that this is a snad complaint that you don't feel is legitimate and cs will rarely get involved with those regardless of where you or your customer is located. They do not require a buyer to show proof of damage etc so even if they say that they will ask the buyer for pics, that doesn't mean much. They generally assume that the buyer is telling the truth and tell the seller to pay for the return and that it may be possible to appeal once the item is received back. Of course you would be out return shipping at that point even if you win. If you insist on fighting the claim now, there is a good chance that ebay will 'step in' and then if you lose, you will receive an unresolved claim defect.

You do have a return policy so is the issue here that you don't think the item is snad and do not want to pay for return shipping?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

snad?

The issue is, not as described, but it was a two piece item and it appears they switched out one of the pieces so that it no longer almost 9.25" but 8" tall.

Listing shows the item standing next to a yardstick at a little over 9" btw.

Which reminds me, CS used the premise that since I said it was almost 9.25" that I must have been off by a whole inch.

I used linear because the largest market place does, other wise I would have given the exact mm measurement.

CS did say that if the item she returns is not the one I sent her, then they will reimburse me the shipping.

I want ebay to pay the return shipping up front if they are going to disrespect this TRS with 16 years experience and 100% positive feedback across all 4 sites. I can want what I want but I'm not holding my breath.

On another similar note on this discussion.

As they say in that last video they sent us, the Canadian market has grown, that should mean we need our own CS.

The UK has it's own CS.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Is there an open eBay dispute?

If there isn't stop communicating until the customer actually does something, like returns a different item than you sent.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

snad - significantly not as described

eBay has no way of knowing if you sent the item in the picture or another one so it is a he said/she said scenario. Even if you show or tell them you received the wrong one back it is unlikely that they will do anything about it and I would be very surprised if they refunded your return shipping back. They are definitely not going to pay the return shipping for you ahead of time...there is nothing in the MBG that says that they will do that.

I doubt that it would matter in this case but I always try to put both imperial and metric measurements in my listings.

the Canadian market has grown, that should mean we need our own CS.

The UK has it's own CS.

The UK has almost double the population. I would imagine that most other sites have their own cs though as the Canadian and U.S. sites are linked in ways that no other sites are. I don't see how a separate customer service for Canada would help you in this situation unless they changed the rules for us too.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It's a measure of how little the eBay PTB know about Canada that they opened a call centre, which needs low wage employees, in the most expensive city in Canada.

If they wanted a diverse staff, since Canada has a very high immigrant population (I'm class of '52 myself) then suburban Toronto would have been a better choice. Or even Ottawa.

If they were looking for charming and intelligent, New Brunswick is always looking for employers. Also bilingual.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It's a measure of how little the eBay PTB know about Canada that they opened a call centre, which needs low wage employees, in the most expensive city in Canada.

If they wanted a diverse staff, since Canada has a very high immigrant population (I'm class of '52 myself) then suburban Toronto would have been a better choice. Or even Ottawa.

If they were looking for charming and intelligent, New Brunswick is always looking for employers. Also bilingual.

At the time they opened the centre Vancouver was not yet the most expensive city in the country, the BC government was subsidizing call centres and Vancouver in general was overrun with foreign companies setting up shop there to take advantage of the low Canadian Dollar.

The battle for who could grab the most "action" for call centres was between BC & NB with ON a trailing third place.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I like NB myself.

The bilingual part is an asset.

Vancouver was handy since it's on the same coast as the main office in California.

Since we are now primarily techno driven the moon would work too! 😄

Point is mute until we contact the brass.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I'm confused:

Fist off eBay tells me I have to take care of the shipping by the 27 th.

This morning they closed the case in favor of the buyer and I got a unfavorable mark on my dash board.

I thought that the 27th  was included.    I figured, since I had waited long enough for the buyer to send me a picture that CS told me they where going to ask her to send, I'd send her the return shipping today..

Too late! The 27th was not included in the deal. Time and date would have had me taking care of the problem last night.

I follow the links to an appeal and this is what I read:

To start an appeal:
Find the item in your purchase history and select See case details.
Select send us an appeal.
For domestic purchases, you’ll need to select Call us. For foreign purchases, you’ll need to fill out a form with more details.

Here is where my confusion comes in .
For domestic purchases, I've been told I'm an international seller so I assume that means purchases and sales by US sellers and buyers? Even if I'm on .ca.

I sent them a written appeal, should I have called them instead?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Imo the chance of winning an appeal is greater if you talk to them in person.  It's supposed to be easier if you pay for the shipping and then appeal after you've received the wrong item back but even that is difficult to prove. In eBay's eyes you refused to pay return shipping by the deadline so I would be surprised if you won the appeal. Of course...I have been surprised by many things in life. 🙂

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Talk to them in person?

I don't think they like me much.

Not after I gave an honest review.

Sometimes shooting from the hip is dangerous!

Now they don't pick up when I call and don't return my calls when I ask for that service.

I must be blacklisted.

BTW odd that all my listings came under scrutiny.

(not so odd since it happens every time I cause a fuss on this board)

Nice that they caught the one item in the wrong category, but the other listing they removed was nit picking at it's best.

Nice try, but I quickly removed the offending excuse as to why I could not get to the company's under construction website and had to open the package to complete the description. 

Would be nice if whomever was spending hours looking for flaws in my listings spent it on repairing flaws in the coding instead.

I still can't get to paypal to change my FVF currency and it's been months.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

'spending hours looking for flaws in my listings"

Frankly I do not think anyone at eBay spent anytime looking at your listings to find policy violations.  That is not what eBay does. That is not how they work.  They have no time for that.  They depend on other members to report violations.

If eBay staffers were looking for violations (or someone else report them) all your listings would have been taken down!

Why?  Because they contravene policy which does not allow you to add the "Powerseller" icon as you do in all descriptions.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/item-description.html

NOT Allowed: Including our PowerSeller, Top Rated Seller, or Top Rated Plus icons or similar logos and expressions. 

Good Luck.

PS - I have not and will not report those policy infractions.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply