Calculated Shipping After May 2nd Fuel Surcharge

For anyone else who may use the shipping calculator in their listings like me, I had a buyer who reached out to me this morning asking if I had upped my shipping fees. I said I didn't but told them since I use the shipping calculator the the increase was most likely because of the recent (May 2nd) fuel surcharge. 

I know the surcharges are monthly and I thought they were a couple of percent but she told me the item she was watching went from $15.34 shipping to $16.39 overnight. That is for a small box 350 grams.

I know my local gas station is at $1.87 for regular.....I can imagine all those trucks, trains and planes moving our mail around do not run cheap!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Canada Post Fuel Surcharges are based on the cost of diesel fuel.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Canada Post trucks use diesel fuel.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Of course! I was aware of changes but didn't expect $1.05 overnight (at least that's what my buyer told me!)

I wasn't sure how it all worked with respect to the shipping calculator with my listings, found out this morning!

Thank you ! 😊

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I don't use diesel (and Canada Post only use it for some vehicles) but I have to say I was shocked a few days ago when I passed a station offering regular at $1.88 and diesel at $2.19.

It shocked me because in the past few years diesel at that station was within pennies of the price for Regular gas. You know, back in the "good old days" (last year) it would have been 1.15 for Reg and 1.18 for diesel.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Sigh yes...when ever I hear about "the good old days", I can't help but think of the quote from Andy (The Office): "I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."

Message 5 of 5
latest reply