Calculated Shipping Gotcha.

Not sure why Ebay doesn't fix this or at least warn the lister a error has occurred. the other day created a listing for a item that can be shipped by Small packet (probably for the others). Listing saved fine and was processed.

Went to the ebay.com site to double check and the shipping details were fine for Canada but when I changed the country to US it came up with a error that the zip code was incorrect???.

So went back and revised the listing and realized that I did not enter the MINIMIUM dimensions correctly for the package. It was a small box. Corrected and it is fine now.

So not sure why Ebay doesn't remind the lister that the dimensions are wrong during submitting. And what a stupid error message to come up that the user has entered a invalid zip code. Had nothing to do with it.

Bringing this up as you may have buyers in the US that would not see a shipping calculation for the item and just move on. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This is an ongoing problem.

The difference between the USPS service standard and the Canada Post service standard is tiny, but very important.

There will apparently be a Chat with tyler@ebay.com next Wednesday. Something else to add to an evergrowing list.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I guess it goes to show how much the really care about ebay.ca or they don't have the resources to fix these nagging little issues. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It has absolutely nothing to do with any USPS service. I don't think it is necessarily an ebay issue either. If I enter the dimensions that are too small for expedited USA on the Canada Post site in their calculator, it actually gives me a price for expedited USA even though I would never be able to print a label using those dimensions. So perhaps the problem is on the CP end, not just the ebay programming part of it.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You are right.

But.

The problem is that eBay has been told about this often, and yet no warning popup on the SYI form.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It has absolutely nothing to do with any USPS service. I don't think it is necessarily an ebay issue either. If I enter the dimensions that are too small for expedited USA on the Canada Post site in their calculator, it actually gives me a price for expedited USA even though I would never be able to print a label using those dimensions. So perhaps the problem is on the CP end, not just the ebay programming part of it.

That may be true, but the annoying part is the error presents itself to the buyer when they receive a error message that a invalid zip code has been entered. the zip code has nothing to do with it. I don't see how difficult it could be on EBay's end. CP specifically states what the minimums are on their web site for various shipping services. It's just a database thing, and all it needs to do is notify the lister that the dimensions may be incorrect for the specified service. At least that would give the lister the option to change .

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I agree, the seller should be made aware at the time of listing.  This has been brought up many times to eBay reps but it obviously isn't a priority.  The problem is most common with expedited because the min. dimensions for domestic expedited are smaller than for the same service to the US. Sellers should be warned too when they use calculated shipping and specify a service that doesnt exist for the countries that they are shipping to.    

Message 7 of 7
latest reply