Calculated Shipping not working SOMETIMES for US or International Customers

Calculated shipping is not working for me on SOME listings. 

I had a message from a US customer asking what the shipping cost of an item was.  I tried to use the calculator in the shipping info screen in the listing, but it comes back with: Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code.

The shipping policy is the same, and dimensions are similar or the same as other listings which are currently showing correctly.   I used the 'sell similar' function to list a whole string of similar items, some show shipping correctly and some do not. 

It makes no sense to me, and I imagine costing me sales.

anyone else run into this?

Example:

item 153543648272 does not work correctly

item 163753789452 does

item 153543646776 does not

item 153541268362 does

?? @happy_pigeon >?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The first question we always ask is-- Are you entering dimensions and weight in metric?  Canada Post went metric in 1974 and anything else is guesswork.

There is also a disconnect @pjcdn2005  has identified and I can never remember between some USPS and Canada Post services which will generate that message.

Twiddling the (metric) dimensions fixes it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The first question we always ask is-- Are you entering dimensions and weight in metric?  Canada Post went metric in 1974 and anything else is guesswork.

There is also a disconnect @pjcdn2005  has identified and I can never remember between some USPS and Canada Post services which will generate that message.

Twiddling the (metric) dimensions fixes it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The usual issue is each shipping option has different minimimum and maximum dimensions. The eBay listing form only has one dimensions for an item and is used for all shipping services selected. When creating a listing the is minimal checking for dimensions so very little warning. However when the listing is live more extensive checking is done and some shipping options do not work.

Most common issue is with Expedited Parcel Canada and USA. The minimum for each service is significantly different and USA is higher and will not work with. If just slightly smaller than ISA minimum then cheat and add 1-2 cm to meet minimum. If big difference use a bigger box.

Other services have like Small Packet and Tracked Packet have min and max and a maximum total dimensions of 90 cm. Don’t remember the calculation for total.

Also weight has min and max.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks.. I'm aware of the 'common' issues. 

this isn't that

These are medium sized items. 

The string of listings in question were made as copies of each other using 'sell similar' with only the part number, photos, one line in description, and price changed. 

Items with literally identical dimensions (yes metric) and shipping policy still results in one listing showing correctly and another not. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I also used Business Policies for years. I stopped selling 3 years ago so no idea if things changed. Could be another eBay glitch. Hopefully some has a answer.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hey - i had tried fiddling with the dimensions and weight before and nothing seemed to work. gave it another shot this morning, and finally got a combination that results in a calculated shipping cost again.    6 tries later.. 

I've switched all the listings to these dimensions and it all seems to work for now. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

it's broken again. what a stupid system! I wonder how many lost sales I have due to this... occasionally a potential buyer will let me know it isn't working (or ask for a rate) and I can get one for them but seriously how does the calculator still not function?  If  there was a way to connect it directly to my Shippo it wouldn't be an issue, i can put literally any dims in there and it will give me rates/options. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@motomike_canada 

There is a good chance that the calculator is working but that some of the information entered doesn't fit with certain parameters.   Canada Post lists minimum size requirements for each service.  If you enter dimensions that are small that the service you have chosen, the calculator will not show a price. When sellers are having problems with the shipping calculator for US sales, that is usually the problem.

I noticed that quite a few of your items do not have a shipping cost to the US but the cost to Canada is fine so I am guessing that one or more of your dimensions on those items are smaller than the CP minimum as Canadian parcels and US parcels do not have the same size standards.  Canada Post actually allows packages smaller than the minimum to be mailed so I'm not sure why they even post them however, ebay shipping always uses the minimums and in order for the calculator and ebay shipping to work, you need to use them too.

Minimum measurements for Expedited parcel USA and Xpresspost USA -- 210mm x 140mm x 5mm  Each number MUST be at least the minimum in order for ebay calculated shipping to work.

Tracked Packet and Small Packet - - 140mm x 90mm x 1mm

You've posted on an old thread so it will likely be closed by the mods but if you have a question, please start a new thread.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 9 of 9
latest reply