Can a Canadian get an ITIN to eBay?

Have any Canadians out there been able to get an ITIN to eBay?

I've been using a US address because I live on the border and cross it to ship to US buyers. Now, as we all know, I will need an ITIN to keep my US address so I can show quicker shipping time estimates, keep my feedback, not have to relist everything on .ca...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you are paying taxes in Canada you don't need an ITIN.  If you are registered on the US site you shouldn't need to change sites or eBay ID but your registered address will have to show that you live in Canada,  you can still list on .com and use your 'ship from US' address.   You would have to register on .ca with Managed Payments and use a Canadian based chequing bank account in $US. 

if you have already registered with the US site I'm not sure if you can start your registration again on .ca.

tyler@ebay  does the above sound correct and doable?  What happens if he has already started MP provpcess on .com?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Another one running into MP trouble because they have been pretending to be a US resident. In the PayPal days (pre-1099k) it didn't matter that much (still a policy violation).

With MP it actually does matter!

As far as getting an ITIN, as a non-resident it's difficult but possible in limited circumstances.

Details on these IRS pages:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/am-i-eligible-to-apply-for-an-individual-taxpayer-identification-number

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005! Absolutely correct that you do not need to change your site registration for an account in order to onboard into payments being managed by eBay. However, if the registration address on the account was a US-based address the typical onboard process would be to push OP into the .com payments flow. Which would be why they're being asked for a TIN at this point. 

Once onboarded, there is no way to change that process other than by opening a new account registered on the preferred site (.com or .ca) and ensuring that a Canadian-based physical address is used as the registration address. Then the payments registration will adapt to that location and take them through the proper flow. 

Based on what @stormin_norman_ogreman has shared I'm concerned that they may be locked into .com/US payments rules, which means they will be asked for an ITIN or some kind of taxpayer identification. If that is something that is feasible to aquire (thanks @recped for the context there) it may help, but I don't know what the ramifications would be if it's not something you actually need. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005! Absolutely correct that you do not need to change your site registration for an account in order to onboard into payments being managed by eBay. However, if the registration address on the account was a US-based address the typical onboard process would be to push OP into the .com payments flow. Which would be why they're being asked for a TIN at this point. 

Once onboarded, there is no way to change that process other than by opening a new account registered on the preferred site (.com or .ca) and ensuring that a Canadian-based physical address is used as the registration address. Then the payments registration will adapt to that location and take them through the proper flow. 

Based on what @stormin_norman_ogreman has shared I'm concerned that they may be locked into .com/US payments rules, which means they will be asked for an ITIN or some kind of taxpayer identification. If that is something that is feasible to aquire (thanks @recped for the context there) it may help, but I don't know what the ramifications would be if it's not something you actually need. 

tyler@ebay 

@mikesgarage60 

For sellers in this situation....and there seems to be a number of them, is there a 'legal" and simple work around so sellers do not lose their years of feedback or risk the fear of becoming the target of scammers? These sellers have worked long and hard to build up their reputations. They shouldn't have to risk  reprecussions for a change eBay has made. For these sellers  it would be major work to move 100 or 1000's of listings if they were forced to start over from scratch. (Another concern would be the dreaded waiting to get paid conundrum.) I unfortunately remember what that was like when my Employer typed in the wrong transit numbers when we changed payroll agencies.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For sellers in this situation....and there seems to be a number of them, is there a 'legal" and simple work around so sellers do not lose their years of feedback or risk the fear of becoming the target of scammers? These sellers have worked long and hard to build up their reputations. They shouldn't have to risk  reprecussions for a change eBay has made. For these sellers  it would be major work to move 100 or 1000's of listings if they were forced to start over from scratch. (Another concern would be the dreaded waiting to get paid conundrum.) I unfortunately remember what that was like when my Employer typed in the wrong transit numbers when we changed payroll agencies.

-Lotz

It may be too late but sellers who kept their residence location as the USA probably had to make the change to Canada BEFORE eBay decided to induce them into MP. Once registration is requested it's too late because the account has already been identified as being US.

The problem is that completely different legal entities are managing sellers in different countries (or regions in the case of the EU).

One thing I do not know the answer for is what happens to a US resident who signs up for MP in the US and then a year or two later makes a permanent move to another country that has a different legal entity handling the payments. Do these people also have to open new accounts or can they be switched?

tyler@ebay  (any answer for the last paragraph?) It's a question that will come up down the road for some people.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

-Lotz

It may be too late but sellers who kept their residence location as the USA probably had to make the change to Canada BEFORE eBay decided to induce them into MP. Once registration is requested it's too late because the account has already been identified as being US.

The problem is that completely different legal entities are managing sellers in different countries (or regions in the case of the EU).

One thing I do not know the answer for is what happens to a US resident who signs up for MP in the US and then a year or two later makes a permanent move to another country that has a different legal entity handling the payments. Do these people also have to open new accounts or can they be switched?

tyler@ebay  (any answer for the last paragraph?) It's a question that will come up down the road for some people.

Hi @recped - right now there is no vehicle to make a change like that. In the scenario you mention the only option we would currently have is to advise them to open a new account with the updated registration address in their new country of residence. 

The aluminum lining in this is that the Payments team is aware of this limitation and working to address it, but what that will look like (and when it will be available) is very unclear at this point in time. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 7
latest reply