Can anyone help me with the HS code for LP records to the U.S.? I'm hoping it's same for overseas

nd401
Community Member

Can anyone help me with the HS code for LP records to the U.S.? I'm hoping it's same for overseas

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to all who helped out! The correct code was indeed 852380 and NOT as directed by Canada Post 8523.50 . Many thanks to all who responded. Just hope it's the same for overseas.............

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Did you try looking it up at www.canadapost.ca/customs? You put in the destination so that should give you the information that you need.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Thanks. Did that, plus, spoke with Reps at PayPal and Canada Post and the numbers they gave me, according to the Postage print-out page were all incorrect.  Still looking.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

It should be 852380. You just need the first 6 digits.

Discs, tapes, solid-stat... - 8523
Magnetic media: -
Semiconductor media: -
Other: - 8523.80
Phonograph records - 8523.80.10.00
Other - 8523.80.20.00
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The problem here is that even if you have the correct HS code, the form will not accept it.  This means that Paypal shipping is AGAIN unavailable.  This is a known problem.  They just tell you to buy your postage at Canadapost.ca which means that you have to pay for it all with a credit card, you  lose your shipping discount and it takes a lot longer.  I just can't take a lot more of this!

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

You must enter the hs code without the decimals. Remove the period.
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Thanks to all who helped out! The correct code was indeed 852380 and NOT as directed by Canada Post 8523.50 . Many thanks to all who responded. Just hope it's the same for overseas.............

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I called PayPal Shipping about HS code, they have NO idea!! 

Why can't Canada Post "work" with PayPal and inform them and also us before they install that insane process, not after the fact???

It is absurd that we have to put up this insane process over and over and now I am leery of what next up the coming months or years!!  It is unacceptable.

They must work together to keep things smooth for us.  We don't have the leisure to wait for them to make it possible for us and having to hold us up for how long!

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Obviously no one at Paypal or Canada Post tried to process a shipping label otherwise they would have known it doesn't work. I have spent time with PP and CP support and finally am able to print my labels.

HERE IS THE FIX...... DO NOT INCLUDE THE DECIMAL OR PERIODS IN THE NUMBER.

Example Can Post HS code for porcelain on their website is 6914.10  but on the Paypal form you must put it in as 691400.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Been shipping with Paypal/Canada Post for many years and NEVER have I been asked for an HS code.

Takes way too much time.How about a little warning or explanation like well run corporations would do.

Printed postage directly from Electronic Shipping Tools and was not asked for a HS code.Same cost by air as there is no Paypal discount for that service anyway.I was hoping it would go away as it started asking for this yesterday.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I spent a 1/2 hour on the phone with Paypal last night and the c/s rep was wonderful.  He sent me a link to the Can Post site HS code page, stayed on with me while I tried putting in the code - I had already found it  myself and tried it, but I changed browsers hoping that would help.  It still would not work. That is because I was putting in the code as it appears in Can Post.

The Paypal rep told me that they had only been advised in the form a memo  of this new requirement about an hour before I called so did not know what else to do at that point.

I called Canada Post this morning as soon as phone support opened and they were aware of the issue with the decimal/dot/period.

I didn't bother nattering at the rep......not her fault that whoever requested this change be made was incompetent.  Customers received no notification that Canada Post was adding this requirement to shipping through Paypal, and obviously no one tried one out to verify that the process would work.  Sloppy sloppy sloppy........ IMO Paypal should also have run a test  when they made that feature live If they had then the error message would have told the user to leave out the dots.

I guess simple and logical only applies to the little guys........big companies just muddle along, screw up and don't give a rat's patootie as long as the problem affects someone else.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

This website says that the HS Code is 852410:

http://www.hscodelist.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=HScode&wr_id=341&sca=85

Hooray for this "harmonization" thing.....

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

And then I search again ON THE SAME SITE and find this instead:

http://htscodes.org/bbs/board.php?bo_table=htscode85&wr_id=22

Cat Mad

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Sheesh...that's confusing.

They use the same first 3 numbers so perhaps those are most important??

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

The first code you gave is for gramophone recordings, the 2nd is for phonograph records - 2  different technologies, therefore different HS codes.

People study for several years to be Customs Brokers, able to use the HS efficiently and quickly.  I would advise untrained sellers to use the Canada Post website, since it is set up for ease of use, and is more intuitive than the sites I see quoted in these discussions.  As long as you use the correct description on the Canada Post "Find an HS Code", starting with the specific noun for the actual item and judiciously adding descriptors, you should be fine.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

This new HS code thing is a pain.  Just appeared there the other day.  Glad I happened upon this board to find out to take out the decimal.

Was able to ship a non-tracked International Small Packet Airmail with no issues, but the system will not let me create a label for an overseas Tracked Packet.  I've been trying for days.

I don't really want to go to the post office as I lose the Paypal discount and I have to pay with my credit card, meaning there is no way to use the Paypal funds I've received from the buyer.

Anybody else having this issue and/or have a fix??

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I've never tried using tracked packet international but what is happening..what sort of message are you getting when you have the problem?

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Go through everything fine, and then click on "Pay and Continue" at the end, and get an error message that you can't print the label at this time, Paypal shipping is not available, blah, blah.

This only started occuring on Wed or Thursday last week - whatever day I first encountered the HS requirement.  Tried doing different things, but nothing worked.

Then tried printing the label for my other package going without shipping and it went through okay, so it appears it has something to do with Tracked Packet.  Not sure if it is just International, or if an Expedited Canadian Parcel and or Expedited or Tracked Packet USA would do the same.

Really frustrating.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I had something similar happen last week with small packet. I kept getting that message on Firefox but when I went to IE it worked fine.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I'm using IE; normally use Chrome, but it has been printing the postage stamp sized labels for months.

Tried again this morning and still won't print.  Tried sending a message to Paypal support - good luck trying to fit a question into their ridiculously awful standard of drop down menu items.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply