Can't Verify Account

I cannot verify my account after posting an item for sale, I suspect because I only have a voip internet cell phone. I also use a landline but that is useless to eBay. The eBay system can't send me a text to an internet cell, but Amazon, Apple & Google can do this no problem.

Tonight I updated my info: New email and cell #, which seems to cause a lot of problems. I am now blocked because I have not used the account in a few years (I'm selling something for $20)

I called for assistance. The agent told me I have to do the following:

I cannot confirm my new post so I have to cancel my current account. 

I cannot use my same email though, so I have to create a new email just EBay, which would not be connected to my credit cards or Paypal. I have to change all those accounts just to use eBay. (I will then have to wait and go through a similar process at Paypal and wait days to validate.)

Then I have to create a new eBay account with all the same new information, except with that brand new email to be connect to my financial services.

Then, apparently, the system will automatically approve me to use eBay.

The agent tells me she cannot phone my cell to confirm, even though it's sitting next to me while I am speaking with her on my landline.

I am hesitant to go through all this and risk complication things even further.

Does this make any sense? Is this employee correct? This seems incredibly convoluted and it is very frustrating after spending 3 hours on the site trying sell a $20 item.

Is there another way can I verify my existing change of info, or do I need to use Amazon and Craigslist?

Since I am posting in this board, I can't cancel my account until I get some replies. See my dilemma? What a screwed up system! Help!!!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Can't Verify Account

Don't have the time for much thinking about this but it sure sounds like the agent is NOT giving you the correct info.

There really isn't a thing "voip internet cell phone", if it's a voip phone it's got nothing to do with the cellular network.

I advise for now.....do not close you existing account, make a new one maybe but don't close the old one. If you need a new email account just get a gmail (or similar) account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Can't Verify Account

FWIW- if a member cancels her account, eBay does not complete the closure for a few months, in case there are outstanding fees or possible disputes pending.

There is access to the internet available to the general public. My go to when I am travelling is the local public library. While they do not usually charge to use their computers, a donation is always welcome.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Can't Verify Account

Same thing JUST happened to me. It's because I'm Canadian and the 3rd party verification system doesn't work here.
It's absolutely trash.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Can't Verify Account

you have replied to an old thread from 5 years ago, for which information may be outdated and/or irrelevant. Sometimes it is best to start your own thread to address a current problem that will get a fresh look.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Can't Verify Account

@kh-phdan

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2019!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Can't Verify Account

Zombie Thread From 07-02-2019 01:16 AM

Message 7 of 7
latest reply