Canada Post Delays Due To New Sorting and Scanning Procedures?

I've had several complaints about late/missing packages in the past couple of weeks. A lot of my packages to the US are untracked, so I started tracking some this week and I've noticed weird activity (going from my post office to Richmond - and then back to the post office, and then back to Richmond again). Same with 2 Canada bound packages this week. And then scanning update delays.

My CP guy at the counter told me they have some new sorting procedures they started last week...wherein the drivers are picking up packages in bundled bins and scanning the barcode on the bin - not on each package. I wonder if that's to blame for delays - or at least the delayed tracking updates and the seemingly circular movement of the packages?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I suspect the operative word is "seemingly" .

The only uses I have for tracking is proof of delivery in case of dispute, which I don't think I have ever needed and to give my nervous customer the warm fuzzies becauee he thinks I did for his benefit instead of mine.

Tracking shows  where the barcode has been, not where it is.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

HO HO HO HO Another silly excuses by Canada Post!  HO HO HO

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

All my tracked shipments leaving Winnipeg head to Toronto and then head to either New York or Chicago.

Everything is normal with no delays from my perspective.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

My parcels all go from Montreal directly to New York USPS and customs  .

I had a buyer from  New York 2 weeks ago .  Instead of going directly to New York,  the parcel  was sent in the opposite direction to Calgary . 

From Calgary it went to Vancouver . I called Canada post yesterday  thinking it was lost seeing it was going to the  far opposite  end of the country .Canada Post assured me nothing was wrong and   they said they were re routing some parcels . She said they do it from time to time .

It's in Washington this morning , still not delivered .

I also had a parcel  sent  from  Montreal going to Montreal . That was re routed  to Calgary too  , and then back to Montreal where it was delivered .   

This week, everything has been back to normal.   So far 🙂

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for posting your data points on package routing! It's strange CP does this sometimes!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@rmn514 

All letters and packages sent from Vancouver Island cross the Salish Sea to Vancouver/Richmond before moving on.

This includes mail sent from Victoria to Victoria.

Although to be fair, it doesn't seem to slow things down much.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

That does kind of make sense, since it's a central sorting warehouse. The same thing would happen in any city, miles away, if you sent something to your next door neighbour.

I've just had a few packages go back and forth lately - that's why I was startled. It's like they were doing a "do-over" because they didn't like the way the package travelled the first time...lol.

I'm starting to think the problem may be the driver that picks up mail at one of the CP counters I ship at (since I have had parcels - even tracked, go missing) - or the post office itself. I will be avoiding that post office and see if it helps the situation...

Message 8 of 8
latest reply