Canada Post Regular Parcel - tracking info updates not showing?

I mailed a parcel about 18cm by 15cm by 10cm from Hamilton to BC 

on Wed. using CP Regular Parcel which comes with the track number with

signature required.

As of today - three days later - when I put the track number in CP's site

to track it shows only the initial scan/time/date at the outlet when I

paid - no more scans of the parcel anywhere in the system.  Is this common for no track info to show days later, or should I be worried

that this parcel is either stuck in that drugstore outlet somewhere

or already lost in a sorting plant?  - Signed, Inexperienced shipper 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Don't panic. It takes awhile to travel across our great country. It will be scanned again in BC upon arrival. Likely about Tues. or Wed. next week. Sleep well.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

but there are no scans anywhere in between Ontario and BC? not even at

the sorting plant once it leaves the outlet in the drugstore?

I sent a couple of Tracked Packets to the USA and there were updates on USPS in real time, as it went across the USA, it even told me

the night before it would be delivered the next day.  Then after delivery it said it was handed to a person at delivery time.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with CP.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Scans in the Canadian mailing system, for the most part are inconsistent at best. The only services that seem to see regular scanning are Priority Post and Xpresspost inside of Canada. Expedited and regular post is a lottery as to being scanned. Mostly depends how diligent of a Canada Post employee you have handling your parcel as your parcel gets scanned along its  merry way. The other thing that will affect it is the number of actual sorts a package gets. If a package goes in a cage in Toronto destined for Prince George, it may not get scanned again until it arrives in Vancouver to go on to its final destination.  Therefore the gap in additional scans. If you sign up for tracking on a parcel in the USPS system every time you turn around it almost seems you are getting another update. Really all depends on the system it is travelling through. Another thing that can and does affect delivery is miss-sorts. With the volume any postal system handles it's the nature of the beast and from time to time those miss-sorts are not always accurately tracked/logged.  Short answer....Doodly Doo happens!!!  🙂

-CM

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As an aside, use Expedited Parcel. You should have a Solutions for Small Business account with Canada Post by now which allows you access to Expedited Parcel. Not only is Expedited faster by a few days at least for about the same price, it's also automatically insured for $100. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

As others have mentioned, a "regular" parcel is 2nd class with CP. Scanning is minimal and usually isn't done again until the very end. Much better tracking with "expedited", and with the Venture One card, you pay the same amount.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

just one update... parcel is now showing scanned at Mississaga on Sat. evening - days after being scanned in a Hamilton drugstore outlet. 

also says, won't be scanned until delivery. i think they heard my **bleep**ing.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There is a difference between 'tracking' which most of us call the service, and 'Delivery Confirmation' which is what is promised for Regular Parcel and which is all* that eBay and Paypal require.

Delivery Confirmation is exactly what it says. Confirmation that the shipment has been delivered.

In between? No promises.

*Over a certain value Signature Confirmation is required to win a Dispute, but that is not tracking either.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That's attention to detail!  Receipt calls it a "Tracking #" but you are right...

the Find a Rate page of CP calls it Delivery Cenfirmation.  

The Find a Rate for US Tracked Packet also calls it DC, but as I said, that

gives real time updates, including a note with a Delivery next day by ... time.

BTW... since when can a person not say in a discussion forum the b word rhyming of "witching" when referring to *one's *own actions? bleeping it out?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:

BTW... since when can a person not say in a discussion forum the b word rhyming of "witching" when referring to *one's *own actions? bleeping it out?

Since Lithium took over running the boards. Their language filters cannot determine that you are referring to yourself or someone else.

I often want to refer to some of my own listings as "cheap **bleep**" (word scramble on a fish popular in Asia) but they won't let me.

I also buy a lot of "cheap **bleep**", I know it's **bleep** but it's cheap and that's exactly what I want. I don't mean it as an insult but the censor bots don't know the difference.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply