Canada Post made a profit in 2014...

Canada Post  had a profitable 2014.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-flips-to-194m-profit-in-2014-1.3012205

That is a  194 million..profit...

Something good to hear....

Canadian sellers  and buyers  have contributed to this profit...

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Talked to a delivery person with Purolator... a part of Canada Post.

All UPS and Fed-Ex parcels that go beyond a certain distance from a major centre in Canada ....  are delivered by Canada Post...

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-flips-to-194m-profit-in-2014-1.3012205

Yes -- I was shocked to see this yesterday!!  

Do you think this could possibly mean holding the line on rate increases next year?  

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

There is no guarantee of anything when it comes to Canada Post....

They do have to install all of those community mailboxes

and then "police them"

A set of boxes was destroyed in Brandon, a city about 250 km west of Winnipeg.  

My approach to those community mailboxes...is... If I mail something relatively rare....  it will require a signature confirmation.

with a direct delivery, hand-to-hand, person to person,  to the person receiving the parcel.

I had an uncomfortable sale  where the parcel never appeared in the community mailbox in an acceptable manner... Buyer was livid... 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@cumos55 wrote:

Do you think this could possibly mean holding the line on rate increases next year?  

The $194 million, that's probably about 10 - 15 cents per package. it wouldn't take much to turn that profit into a loss and it will take another year to make up for the 2013 losses.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

More like 1.4¢ per mail item. Admail is around 5 billion pieces and dropping. Lettermail is 4 billion and dropping. I guessetimated for parcel.

They have shed people and buildings. There is no money to made in mail.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post's web site has been down all day...

A new website design will arrive ... soon... by midnight... the witching hour.

Get your broom ready and we shall all go on a trip  on their new website... 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

So Canada Post claims it made a profit [sic] of $194 million in 2014. Wow! Ain't life wonderful, it's all coming up roses.

93% ($180m) of that "profit" is a reduction in employee benefit costs.

Revenue from Transaction Mail was up 8% from 2013. Well, if you raise the price of your product, on which you have a monopoly, by 35% and force your customers to buy 10 or more units at a time - otherwise the price would be 59% higher - you should see increased revenues.

Rose-dee, don't get your hopes up.

Tom

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

haha - anyway, they take heat if they make money and take it worse if they lose money!

Basically a lose-lose.

Canada Post still obliged to deliver other country's bargain rate mail to Canadian addresses for peanuts.

Europe/Asia can still ship into Canada for far cheaper than we can ship there. There must be an opportunity for someone in this problem.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@art-in-the-making wrote:

haha - anyway, they take heat if they make money and take it worse if they lose money!

Art,

Yep, you got it! It's because Canada Post is an end-to-end disaster. What else can you expect, if your business model is to simultaneously cut service and raise prices, something that's possible only for a government-owned monopoly?

And don't kid yourself, they're not making money, they're just playing accounting shell games and will continue to do so as long as the government hasn't got the guts, wit or interest to put a stop to it.

Tom

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation...

and like any corporation  it must make a profit to continue to function.

and

Who owns Canada Post?   It is ...We.. the people of Canada.

Some would ask  ... What if Canada Post was privately owned?.

A privately owned company must... make money ... every year.

for.. if... it did not make money....the cost of postage would have to go up.

Even though Canada Post is ... Government owned...  it must function like any other Corporation... and if it did not make money...

then like Target ... which no longer is in Canada.....

there would be no Canada Post in Canada!

The end result is that Canada Post functions exactly like a privately owned company....  

It profitability is guided by its ownership  by a much larger corporation

called... The Government. of Canada....  that is ... The People of Canada

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Canadians are using online shopping more and it's bound to keep increasing.  In many situations both time and money are saved by buying online. For anyone working all day living in the city the idea of having to drive from store to store running around after work is a dreaded task.  For those of us like me living in rural areas outside major cities shopping online saves us time and gas instead of driving 30-75km etc and back to go to the store. I would rather spend time working on my business.  Having dog food, non perishable groceries, books and whatever else I need delivered right to me saves time, money and gas. For northern Canadians the price of groceries and items is much higher to buy locally given the high cost of transportation built into the prices at their local stores.  The big box stores are all cashing in by offering shopping online and the online market is only going to grow larger.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

And the Globe and Mail Report on Business today tells us that WalMart will not longer be giving Free Shipping to Canadian customers.

Does it count as reducing service and increasing prices if the company is private?

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

It reminds me of TSN buying the Hockey Night in Canada song. If the CBC had paid the million $ for it there would have been no end of ranting from the CBC-haters.

So, ironically, Rogers comes along and outbids TSN (Bell) for the HNIC rights and voila - the iconic music synonymous with Saturday nights and hockey in Canada for i dunno 50+ years - is silenced, relegated to TSN radio and a few random local broadcasts. Bell and Rogers meanwhile, appropriately teaming up to take mismanagement of MLSE and to the furthest reaches of bungling.

Meanwhile Rogers paid what $19 Bil for the hockey rights and has done a pretty mediocre job with it so far... and... we are baby steps away from having zero hockey broadcast on air in Canada, which would set us right back to the '50s! Possibly not so far away from having zero TV broadcast on air at all.

The way it's going, we'll soon have Nestle controlling our water utilities.

Call me old fashioned it's not for me.

I prefer to have a post office whose purpose is to deliver mail, not turn a profit.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post is making adjustments in relation to the change  ... from lettermail to parcels.... less lettermail  and more parcels because of internet sales,.

Less lettermail because of emails... less lettermail because of more mobile apps, cell phones  and more electronics in our life.

People communicate via texting... instantaneously....  and not snail mail

There is less lettermail being delivered....  Canada Post has responded with community mailboxes for mail delivery  in major population areas.

That becomes less mail delivered to one location and not to every house on a route...  Less walking and less time spent in delivering less... and less lettermail.

Parcels can be delivered to a community mailbox.....  What may become standard practice is leaving a notice in the appropriate slot in a community mailbox... and the parcel is picked up at a local postal outlet.

Canada Post has a mandate to deliver mail.... to everyone in Canada.

Companies such as UPS and Fedex feed mail into Canada Post  for delivery to rural areas... and to remote areas of Canada...

Canada Post provides a service than only Canada Post can provide....

Canada Post is a Crown corporation, responsible to the people of Canada...  

Canada Post meets the needs of everyone in Canada,  and in response to the changing postal environment...

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

walmart started free shipping on everything when target came, and ended it as they leave.  They never had that in the USA, people were buying .99 grocery items alone to make them ship it

It will still be free on $50, and free on anything to be picked up at any CP outlet, or the boxes they are rolling out in walmarts.  They must have a special CP deal with a lower rate if CP doesn't have to attempt home delivery.  So walmart orders are going to generate tons of traffic to Loblaw's shoppers drugmart

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

It will still be free on $50, and free on anything to be picked up at any CP outlet, or the boxes they are rolling out in walmarts.  They must have a special CP deal with a lower rate if CP doesn't have to attempt home delivery.  

How will they know when you pay for the order whether or not CP will be delivering to your home? For example, I live in a city with a regular street address where lettermail and very small parcels are delivered to a community mailbox. Any other parcels have to be picked up at an outlet but I don't see how they could 'know' that when I place an order.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

They have built that in to their order process - you choose whether it is picked up at a Walmart "Grab&Go" box, picked up at a postal outlet (you may have some choice about which one) or delivered to your home.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/checkout/shipping

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

They have built that in to their order process - you choose whether it is picked up at a Walmart "Grab&Go" box, picked up at a postal outlet (you may have some choice about which one) or delivered to your home.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/checkout/shipping

The service is called FlexDelivery, it's new, so new in fact that the service doesn't start officially until May.

I'm guessing Wal-Mart is a beta tester.

Sounds like a very good service that can eliminate that extra day that it takes from the time of initial delivery attempt to when the item that is carded is actually available for pick-up.

USPS has had a similar service for about a year or so.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Don't hold your breath rose. In 2013 one of the muckity-mucks from Canada Post went on the public record in a CBC interview saying that their need to generate profits would not be satisfied by jacking up parcel delivery rates. Since that statement was made those mentioned rates have increased over 30%. Not to mention that with this years increases Canada Post stated publicly that the increases would average around 1.8% I believe it was. Very clever manipulation of the facts taking a couple of services that didn't increase and weighing them equally in the average against Expedited USA that went up 25% and more in some cases.

Ergo, not only can Canada Post not be trusted to deliver truthful statements but also that they will go out of their way to obfuscate the truth.

Add in the fact that Lisa Raitt. the miunister responsible for Canada Post, is a dullard of the first order (so much so that I am surpised she has crossed the floor to the Ontario Provincial Liberals to sit next to Deb Mathews to make herself look thin and smart, lol). and does nothing more than shine a chair with her behind, and Canada Post has free reign to run roughshod over taxpayers/consumers without intervention.

Now that Canada Post has tasted a profit of that magnitude and gotten away with these huge increases I fully expect them to pull the same nonsense next year. Why wouldn't they?

thD

Message 20 of 34
latest reply