Canada Post suspends delivery on on West Coast

I know some of you may of this but I'm posting it here for reference:

Canada Post as of today (Thursday) is suspending mail delivery for Metro Vancouver, Vancouver Island and the Fraser Valley due to winter storm until conditions improve.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8493774/canada-post-delivery-suspended-snow-storm/ 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Meanwhile...I saw a FedEx truck out and about this afternoon making deliveries. 😂

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

And I got mail today in Victoria. 

So there's that.

However, high winds make it difficult to run ferries safely. We did not get our Globe and Mail this morning. I suppose they are also a problem for airplanes.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Got two G&Ms this morning, so the ferries are running and I am up to speed on the news cycle.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The clerks in the PO today said things are back to normal  but that yesterday the carriers came in and had nothing to deliver, so after four hours they were sent home.

Today we got a city notice, a hand written card from an insurance agent and a catalogue from Britain.

It's amazing to someone who lived in Ottawa for 40 years that so little snow can shut down so much. Although the mail was not held up so much by snow as by 90+km winds off the Pacific Ocean.  Too dangerous for the ferries to sail.

The clerks, including the woman who had been a carrier in Calgary were astonished that Ottawa has sidewalk plows.  (So after you clear your driveway and then redo it because the street plow blocked it again, the sidewalk plow comes along with two new berms.)

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hahaha ... where there are sidewalks in our village of 800 they are plowed and salted when needed. Municipality owns and operates the machine, it's a powerful outfit with a cab for the operator. There's a separate line on the tax bill for sidewalks!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply