Canada Post tracking shows "Out for delivery" for 20 days, How to process this situation?

lud-4367
Community Member

I shipped a parcel within Canada at the end of August, but the tracking information is stuck with "Out for Delivery" for 20 days. The buyer hasn't contacted me so far, and I also haven't contacted the buyer yet because I wanted to hear something from Canada Post first. It's been 12 days ever since I created a ticket through Canada Post website, and I haven't had any messages from them either. How do you process a situation like this at the moment? Should I contact the buyer and ask them whether they received the item or not? If they say, no, then the next step is probably just waiting for a response from Canada Post. If they say, yes, then what can they or I do with unfinished tracking information? I'd like to hear a right way to handle this situation. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Canada Post tracking shows "Out for delivery" for 20 days, How to process this situation?

You probably won't get the same answer for everybody but I would not do anything.  If the buyer hasn't contacted you there is a good chance that it was delivered.  If you let them know that there isn't a delivery scan and they are dishonest, they may open an inr claim as they know you can't prove delivery.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Agree that there is little upside in poking the buyer.  You may want to try having a clerk check the scanning number vs. the website. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ask at the PO counter (preferably a Post Office and not a Postal Outlet) if they have more up to date information.

And one more vote for not poking the bear.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Did you paste the tracking code into the tracking menu on the Canada Post website? There is a common bug on the eBay site where the tracking display freezes and doesn't update on the eBay site, but if you paste the tracking code directly into the carrier site you can see the up to date tracking. If you don't understand what I mean, go to Canadapost.ca - paste the tracking right into the bar on the front page.

It is good that you want to be pro-active to help your buyers, but in the case of tracking it is always best to assume an item is delivered until you hear otherwise from the buyer. If an item wasn't delivered, you are going to hear from the buyer eventually, and that is the time to assist them and deal with Canada Post. If an item was delivered, you risk annoying the buyer if you contact them for what will seem like no reason with a message that might appear very confusing to them.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If this was an in-Canada shipment and you bought the label on August 23 or later you can open a on-time delivery claim with Canada Post.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-On-time-Delivery-Guarantee-is-back-for-Canad...

-;-

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As others have said don't ask the buyer first. I had a similar situation where item was in transit for over almost five weeks to the US with no updates. I opened a Service Ticket when I saw it was at the month point and waited to hear from the buyer. Remember Canada Post takes quite a while to investigate these service tickets! The buyer finally did message me that he hadn't received item yet and asked it I had any more info on where it was, I asked him to wait a few more days while I tried to find out more from CP which he did. I ended up (after no updates from CP) refunding him in full, then three days later I got a message from Canada Post that they found my package and it was being delivered that day!

I told the buyer, he confirmed after he received it but there was no way to invoice him through eBay since he was already refunded. This guy was a gem however, he was so nice he said he felt bad that he hadn't waited a little longer and he decided to mail be a cheque (got my address from his package) - how rare is that! If you start the communication there is more chance he'll ask for the refund. Wait as long as you can and good luck!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

If this was an in-Canada shipment and you bought the label on August 23 or later you can open a on-time delivery claim with Canada Post.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-On-time-Delivery-Guarantee-is-back-for-Canad...

-;-

Holy smokes, I had no idea they brought it back, and the item was shipped on August 23rd. Thank you so much for bringing this news. 

Also, thank you all for giving me great advice. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply