Canada Post vs Purolator Cost

From your experience, in terms of cost which is more reasonable Canada Post or Purolator.  I'll do my homework too but just want to post here in case someone had some input.

Thanks!!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Canada Post is the least expensive. No need to research.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Oh OK.  Thanks 😄

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Tried to run a quote for 1lb mailed to myself, CanadaPost EP via PayPal was slightly less. 10lb via Purolator was less than CP+PayPal

CanadaPost beats couriers on light small items and couriers are better on heavy and bulky, except remote addresses, where some couriers add Remote Area Surcharge.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

......... and since no one has mentioned it yet........

Items over $20 shipped to you in Canada will have hefty brokerage fees and the same holds true for items........... over I think it's $200............ shipped to the States.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

egzatek
Community Member

Actually for us Purolator is cheaper for 2 main reasons :

#1 we have volume with Purolator, which in return gives us rebates

#2 Canada post does not come to pick up parcels at company, so we have to take an employee and bring it to post office (not cost effective)

I just wish Ebay Canada would do the reasonable thing and have Canada Post and Purolator as their shipping resources

Canada Post = Purolator anyways, so why not have the same company handle everything.....

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

"I just wish Ebay Canada would do the reasonable thing and have Canada Post and Purolator as their shipping resources"

???

eBay does not make the shipping decision.  Sellers do.  Sellers decide what method of transportation they want to use.  We have enough rules right now, let's not have eBay decide what methods of shipping sellers should use.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Purolator is one of Canada Post's group of companies.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/corporate/groupcompanies.jsf

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Correct.

And, in the hinterlands, Purolator (and Fedex and UPS) hand their deliveries to Canada Post to do.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

In Reply to Pierre

eBay does not make the shipping decision.  Sellers do.  Sellers decide what method of transportation they want to use.  We have enough rules right now, let's not have eBay decide what methods of shipping sellers should use.

I often decide to ship Purolator no matter what, the thing is, actually 2 things :  When listing my items only 2 choices are offered to me : Canada post or UPS.... I wish UPS would be changed for Purolator

second : if using Purolator and not UPS, you have to manually mark item as shipped and cannot put the tracking number on the website for buyer to track.

Just wondering if E-Bay has an agreement with CP, and not with it's affiliate Purolator.

By the way, when sending purolator to international, Purolator will use UPS when crossing border.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

second : if using Purolator and not UPS, you have to manually mark item as shipped and cannot put the tracking number on the website for buyer to track.

They now have a huge list of carrier choices when you manually put in the tracking number on .ca but they still don't have Purolator....that does seem odd.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

They now have a huge list of carrier choices when you manually put in the tracking number on .ca but they still don't have Purolator....that does seem odd.

You can put the tracking number shipment by purolator through paypal though.  Paypal do have choice for purolator.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@asiahhijab wrote:

You can put the tracking number shipment by purolator through paypal though.  Paypal do have choice for purolator.

yes, maybe paypal has that, but as a company we use purolators software to print labels, not Paypal.

on a side note : Anyone having problems adding manualy tracking numbers on .ca site ?  I always have to log onto .com to go manually add tracking other than CP

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

quayy_ca
Community Member

Just putting this out there:

Canada Post owns 91% of Purolator...

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Not True for an Item (1LB package 10"X4"X4") with tracking  to the lower 48 will cost me an average of $14 with tx & fuel surcharge( With our discount). Let me see Canada Post touch that.

pierrelebel wrote:

We'll if ebay would integrate/verify purolator tracking into the shipping software I would have the coveted TRS Plus on the .com

easily 95% of what I ship to the USA is fully traceable with purolator & shipped within one business day of purchase.  

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Not True for an Item (1LB package 10"X4"X4") with tracking  to the lower 48 will cost me an average of $14 with tx & fuel surcharge( With our discount). Let me see Canada Post touch that.

pierrelebel wrote:

We'll if ebay would integrate/verify purolator tracking into the shipping software I would have the coveted TRS Plus on the .com

easily 95% of what I ship to the USA is fully traceable with purolator & shipped within one business day of purchase.  

I was answering the OP question knowing they are a small seller and not a commercial seller who can get big discount with Canada Post or Purolator.

Canada Post Tracked Packet USA 500 grams (just over 1 lb) is $14.96 (current price this month with no sales tax to USA, includes a fuel surcharge that can vary by a few cents each month, dimensions are L+W+H <90cm, no side bigger than 60 cm, flat rate to all of USA HI AK and territories) using PayPal shipping with discount of 14% compared to over the counter rates (includes $100 insurance and Delivery Confirmation). Full over the counter price is $17.45 (no sales tax, fuel surcharge included of

You might be able to negotiate with Canada Post a better discount than 14% for Tracked Packet if you have the volume and match the $14.00 and it would be flat rate for all of USA (including Hawaii and Alaska and territories) and have valid delivery confirmation to meet TRS USA requirement. $14 would be a 20% discount needed from Canada Post on their $17.45 full over the counter price.

I can beat both PayPal and Purolator using discount postage stamps at 25% off face value (easy to get) using the same Tracked Packet full rate for $17.45 (CP web site Find-A-Rate current price) giving $13.08 cost of discount postage. If I can get 35% off face value of stamps (possible to get), same Tracked Packet of $17.45 costs me $11.34. If I can get 50% off face value of stamps (harder to get), same Tracked Packet of $17.45 costs me $8.73. The catch is I have to put on a lot of stamps on the package so I have to have space on the package to put them with the TP label and I have to go to the post office with the package to send Tracked Packet. So more time is spent. But you did challenge me to beat your price, lol.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Another thing to keep in mind.. There are many buyers who live in rural areas, who do not have the option of Purolator delivery. Or have very poor delivery service.

Personally I never buy from a seller who uses a courier service.  Just a thought.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Within Canada i prefer UPS.   I get good rates (comparable to Canada post) but at much faster delivery times. I know it can depend on size of package as well , but this is what works for me. 

Also someone above mentioned Canada post not picking up , i believe they will pick up if you sign up for the service. Last year or the year before they were advertising pick ups. Not sure if they are still doing it or if its free. 

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Couriers who are asked to deliver to rural or isolated areas often sub-contract to Canada Post.

A passing thought-- does anyone use delivery by intercity bus? Greyhound and the like? I've used them for Christmas presents, the drawback being that they usually don't do doorstep delivery. On the other hand, everything is signed for.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

One day ago in noon time about before 2pm.

I order placed time 1pm

Today in the morning Purolator arrived city for ship that mean Purolator crews received item on way for ship.

Toronto to Ottawa 

Canada

Message 20 of 24
latest reply