Canada shipping rates... can you check how much this would cost you? (Curious if my rates are good)

Hey guys!

I just negociated my new discount level with Canada Post and somehow I feel it's still crazy expensive (I send ~15k packages per year).

Could you have a look how much it would cost you to ship the following package?

From H1A 0A9
To M3C 0C2
Length 10.00 cm
Width 10.00 cm
Height 10.00 cm
Weight 0.500 kg

Personally, my rate is :
Regular price$6.78
Options$0.00
Fuel Surcharge$2.10
Tax$1.15
Total$10.03

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Canada shipping rates... can you check how much this would cost you? (Curious if my rates are good)

It's mainly the fuel surcharge that's $$... I can tell you that as a tiny seller this would cost me a lot more! I didn't bother checking your postal code, but I sent a smaller 250g package within the city two weeks ago and it costed me $13! 😫

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree with zee-chan, as a small seller also your rate is way better than mine which is about $15.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

**bleep**... I guess I have no ground in arguing with them or negociating for a further discount then...

Is it just me or was it a lot cheaper to ship in Canada just like 2 years ago?

Thanks guys btw!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes definitely! About two years ago I'd say for myself was at least $3 less, maybe more!

You will probably hear from some of the bigger sellers on here who might be more comparable with yourself but 100% there is a difference!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You have no idea how many people probably hate you right now 🙂

For most with level 1 or eBay labels, it's probably about $14 or $15.  The fuel surcharge is just devastating (31%, and it'll probably be jumping another 5% or more in two weeks).

Have you tried contacting some other carriers? With that kind of volume, you might get better deals from them. At the very least, they might give better deals on regional shipments.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

... Is it just me or was it a lot cheaper to ship in Canada just like 2 years ago?

Two years ago the fuel charge got close to zero as the pandemic measures dropped fuel prices to a very low level. So an extra 30% because of that. Plus the regular price increases since then that added around 5% to the base cost.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I'm seeing that any package over 2 cm thick has to be sent as a tracked package so unless it is a rather flat piece of jewelry, shipping prices within Canada are very expensive by Canada Post. A magazine can be over 100 grams but still thin enough to qualify as "letter mail" so that can come in at about $4.00. But any little box, say with an ornament or trinket dish or even a thick bracelet, jumps up in price. I'm in Quebc and can ship to Ontario for less than Vancouver or PEI but it is discouraging for the customer to pay more for shipping than they pay for the artical. Very discouraging. The customer has to really want what they are purchasing. The one "good?" thing is that if the package weighs 200 grams or 1.2 Kilos, it all goes for the same price ( size aside ) so the customer can buy a few things at a time or share the shipping with others ( one address from the one buyer that pays the bill ).

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Personally, my rate is :
Regular price$6.78
Options$0.00
Fuel Surcharge$2.10
Tax$1.15
Total$10.03

If I sent as Expedited via Canada Post's SnapShip (level 1 discount):

Regular price$10.86
Options$0.00
Fuel Surcharge$3.37
Tax$1.85
Total$16.08

If I sent using my SfSB card and discounted postage stamps at the postal counter:

Regular price$11.59
Fuel Surcharge$3.59
Tax$0.00
25% stamp discount$3.04
Total$12.14

So your rate is not that bad.

For some locations using a flat rate box may be a better choice since it has no fuel surcharge.  If the ship cost is above $18.49 before tax then a flat rate box is worth checking as an alternative. I keep a few boxes on hand just to be prepared for an expensive location.

I will note that using stamps bought at a discount is not recommended for large volume shippers since it does involve extra prep time to send a parcel out. But it works for me.

For those that have items that qualify as oversize lettermail, you can add tracking for $9.75 (plus tax if not using stamps).  Canada Post has 100 Registered Domestic labels available for free on their website (need to be signed in with your Solutions for Small Business membership to see the deal).

Mailed an out-of-print movie today, the options (using stamps) were:

$1.94 untracked, $11.69 registered lettermail or $20.38 as a parcel

or $20.89 as a flat rate box (18.49+13% tax).

Needed tracking, so it went registered.

-;-

Message 9 of 9
latest reply