Canadian Blu-ray Sets not playing for California buyers

In the last year I've had 2 buyers from California claim the Blu-ray discs I sent them weren't working.  The first set came back & they worked fine so I didn't know what to make of it.  Now this has happened again & I'm totally confused.  I never have any issues with any other buyers in the U.S. before.  The discs originate in Canada but are Region 1 so there shouldn't be any problem.   Anyway,  I'd like to exclude California buyers from future purchases but even if I state this in my ad that won't stop them from buying my set.  Anyone else having this issue??

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Canadian Blu-ray Sets not playing for California buyers

Never had that excuse in many years of selling dvds/blurays online.

I have had 2 claims for discs that actually were defective -- but not for ones that worked.

One disk that came back had visible ripples in the recording layer.

Blu-rays use A/B/C

dvds use region numbers

California is region 1 and region A just like Canada.

I suspect you may have 2 buyers trying to game the ebay system to get a free return.

Or perhaps the digital content has expired.

Or they have problems with seeing french on the package and panic.

Make sure to add them to your blocked buyer list.

If selling on ebay.com you could perhaps use the new Shipping Rate Table beta -- and set up a shipping rate for California that is extra high to discourage buying.

-..-

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

That is most likely the reason. When the industry phased in bilingual packaging as standard here there was quite the outrage in some markets to the point where it made business sense to double up on skus. I haven't seen any US market physical media in some time, are they bilingual English/Spanish now as well?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

That is most likely the reason. When the industry phased in bilingual packaging as standard here there was quite the outrage in some markets to the point where it made business sense to double up on skus. I haven't seen any US market physical media in some time, are they bilingual English/Spanish now as well?

Some companies also did double-sided covers for Canada -- one side English / one side French.  For some reason, Quebec got the French side facing  out.

Spanish tends to show up on a USA cover if Spanish is one of the audio tracks.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

So here's an interesting update!  The buyer who wants to return my Blu-ray set also has the same set on his seller page for sale!  He says it's the US version so I definitely know something fishy is going on.   Why would he buy one from me if he has one for sale?  I told eBay about this so hopefully they'll do something if he continues with his return.  So far he hasn't bothered to respond to my e-mail.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I smell a case of Returns fraud coming on.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply