Canadian eBay Sellers you are paying GST on exports

eBay Sellers

eBay is charging you 13% Gst on all shipment to USA and International countries

even thou they are exempt from Gst

98% of our sale was out of country, we have removed all our listing till eBay corrects this problem

You may want to contact eBay or join  us in removing listings

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay charges GST/HST on ebay fees as required by Canadian tax law. Where your sale goes has nothing to do with that tax charge.

Your comment reveals that you are located in Ontario (the only province that has 13% sales tax) and that you are not registered for GST/HST which would allow you to reclaim any sales tax paid to ebay as an ITC.

Or are you saying that ebay labels is charging sales tax on international labels? My last label to the USA correctly had no any sales tax added to the label cost.

Or are you talking about the marketplace internet sales tax ebay is required to collect on your sale?  Currently in place for most of the American states, Australia, Norway, UK (since Jan 1), the EU (since July 1) and a few others.

-l-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

????  Buyers pay their US State taxes on their purchases.  As ypdc_dennis said GST is not charged on sales amount that buyers pay.  Ebay is required to charge GST on service charges to sellers, which you do pay.    That adds a couple of points to your selling costs.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This is the third different thread on this subject in the past few days........

Always a hit and run with no clarification of what these people are talking about. Only thing that seems clear is they don't understand how taxes work.

What does seem likely is that prior to Managed Payments quite a few sellers had no idea what fees they were paying!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply