Canadian mail issues, items not rceived, sad state of affairs - US boards

Apparently according to the .com boards, many sellers are cutting off Canada for too many items not received. Maybe Ebay Canada can get some stats for us

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Multiple-buyers-in-Canada-are-claiming-to-never-receive-items/m...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Ack! The Canadian post tracking it's not working, and 3 of my sales belong to canada, also i was cheated sellig a gameboy micro and buyer told that he never received.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I agree some stats would be nice just to see but as a buyer here in Canada I have had zero issues with receiving my purchases from the USA.  Most of my purchases come via regular mail with no tracking and all has been good.

The threads seem to be more of a venting tool for a couple of sellers who have just had some bad luck.  The sample size is ridiculously small so I wouldn't read anything more into it than just some good old fashion ranting/venting.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Hence why I asked if we could get some stats from Ebay. I am not missing any items either.

The one from Australia is of some concern as Auzzie Post is doing terrible right now and will get worse if their VAT collection comes into play.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@hyperrush wrote:

Ack! The Canadian post tracking it's not working, and 3 of my sales belong to canada, also i was cheated sellig a gameboy micro and buyer told that he never received.

You are in a high risk selling category, How are you mailing your items? If you are using registered, it is not trackable in Canada and will only show when delivered which could take some time.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Having been on eBay since the 20th century, this is a long standing complaint.

"Canadian shipping is too expensive" (This one goes in both directions, like Yankees don't know that buyers pay shipping, not sellers.)

"Canadian buyers are too cheap" (This one is usually related to requests for less expensive and sometimes untracked shipping.)

"Making out customs forms is tooooo haaaaard and complicated" (Admittedly it takes over 5 seconds and international parcels have to be taken to the PO counter,not just handed in, or dropped in a post box).

Time to pull out this picture again: Cheese goes with whine.jpg

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Depending on point of entry there are still plenty of delays with inbound incoming international mail clearance time through customs thanks to extended screening on small packages. All of my stuff is getting through quickly, but that is all properly declared items sent express. Talking with my local carrier there is still widespread unrest among staff due to ongoing issues with the current status of the contract, particularly as it pertains to carrier pay.

Carriers are also apparently not allowed to take an packages back to the depots under current policies, which could explain why they are not waiting to get a signature and simply dumping packages in the mail box rather than taking the extra time to redirect to a pickup point where they will receive a delivery scan at pickup. That being said it seems unusual not to get a final scan as I still get those, albeit several days later on some occasions. It wouldn't surprise me if the seller problems relate to buyers opening cases sooner due to delivery delays caused by the logjam with custom clearances.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Having been on eBay since the 20th century, this is a long standing complaint.

"Cheese goes with whine.jpg

It is also worth noting one particular thing that upsets many US sellers about dealing with Canadians: the frequency of requests to improperly declare the value of items.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

That's because their import max is $1000 and ours is $20!

I get the same request from many Europeans as well.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Yes that is the reason, that doesn't mean sellers like or appreciate the request. Canadian sellers who frequently buy abroad are more likely to be understanding of the situation due to their own predicament with a low exemption. US Sellers? Not so much.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Are you certain that the mail service that you used has international tracking?  I believe that registered mail here only has delivery confirmation for domestic mail.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

So nice that we are getting painted as a non safe country to ship to.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

....international parcels have to be taken to the PO counter,not just handed in, or dropped in a post box).

I have been reading for years that the  usps carriers will pick up all parcels  including international ones so that is no longer true or never enforced.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Yes that is the reason, that doesn't mean sellers like or appreciate the request. Canadian sellers who frequently buy abroad are more likely to be understanding of the situation due to their own predicament with a low exemption. US Sellers? Not so much.

I think that some Canadian sellers are more understanding but they are probably not too vocal about it.  Whenever  someone comments on the board here that they have been asked to declare a lower value on a package most here jump  in and tell the poster to declare the full price.  I'm not debating whether that is right or wrong, just saying that happens often.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey @dutchman48 - I went looking for any stats to provide and at this point in time from a site-wide perspective there aren't any negative trends with respect to items being made available to Canadians by US sellers. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

....international parcels have to be taken to the PO counter,not just handed in, or dropped in a post box).

I have been reading for years that the  usps carriers will pick up all parcels  including international ones so that is no longer true or never enforced.

It was true at one time but hasn't been for at least 10 years. It is still true if you use Postage Stamps AND the package weighs more than 13oz. Postage printed online is exempt from the requirement regardless of weight. Even back when this policy was in effect either handing over to a carrier in person or at the counter was allowed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

It's always been a strange rule to my mind.

It goes back to the UniBomber who dropped his 'presents' into mailboxes. And those were all domestic parcels.

The dropoff at a box is anonymous. While the home pickup and the PO counter mean face to face interaction.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply