Canadian sellers to be charged GST/HST/QST on all fees effective July 1 2017?

As part of the Summer 2017 update, eBay has announced the following.   You will see all updates in the email they are sending.

Today, eBay announced changes that will impact Canadian residents and businesses who use eBay.

To better reflect how we manage and operate our platform in Canada, on July 1st, 2017 we will be changing the contracting party for Canadian residents and businesses from eBay International AG to eBay Canada Limited, a Canadian corporation.

As a result, eBay users residing in Canada will begin contracting with eBay Canada Limited. This change will impact these users' User Agreement, User Privacy Notice, Billing Agreement, and other agreements with eBay.

The new contracting entity, eBay Canada Limited, is subject to Canadian tax law. As a result, sales tax (GST/HST/QST) will be charged on eBay fees starting July 1st, 2017. The applicable sales tax rate will vary by province, which we will determined based on your registered eBay address. You should confirm that your registered address is correct. The current applicable tax rates are:

ProvinceRate
Alberta (AB):5.00%
British Columbia (BC):5.00%
Manitoba (MB):5.00%
New Brunswick (NB):15.00%
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL):15.00%
Northwest Territories (NT):5.00%
Nova Scotia (NS):15.00%
Nunavut (NU):5.00%
Ontario (ON):13.00%
Prince Edward Island (PE):15.00%
Quebec (QC):14.75%
Saskatchewan (SK):5.00%
Yukon (YT):5.00%

While the addition of GST/HST/QST on fees is new, eBay's prices will not change as a results of this legal entity change. Furthermore, you should see no interruption in your service as a result of this change, and you will not need to make any updates to your listings.

If you are a business user, we recommend that you consult with your tax advisor to understand your eligibility and the process for claiming an input tax credit on tax paid for services provided to your business.

Message 1 of 210
latest reply
209 REPLIES 209

And don't forget our ridiculous postage costs that Ebay takes a % of. We will also have to pay tax on that FVF.

Unless you can include shipping into the price, many sellers will not be here much longer, including me.

Example, sending letter mail in Canada but having to use light packet elsewhere. CP needs to drastically rethink the Light Packet rates as it is destroying a lot of sellers. Yea right

Message 81 of 210
latest reply

GST/HST.... and all taxation

It took me a few years to establish an effective procedure to keep all records..required  in relation to taxation and to GST/HST.... Always making minor adjustments...

My records come together as everything happens each year..

Then, on December  31 of a year I am ready to fill in my tax form

July 1 will be a new entry... eBay fees tax.....GST for me... For me this "new tax"  is just another entry in my records

In the beginning everything was.... Ouch..... Time allowed for an adjustment...  and then we have our own "tax consultant"  who helped with the little things... and there are a few situations whether with overall taxation or GST/HST

All sellers should take things one step at a time.....  and there will not be a need to jump off the Eiffel Tower... I say Eiffel Tower  because one has to save money from understanding taxation and then go to France...

Message 82 of 210
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

eBay does have a sales tax table that can be used by sellers.

http://my.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellerSalesTaxTable

Thank you cumos, this is at least one part of what I was looking for. 

Message 83 of 210
latest reply

rose-dee - there is no need to write a book on the subject.  All sellers, including those living in NS, can easily register for HST and avoid the extra tax expense.

Every year it took me less than 15 minutes (per year) to file my GST/HST return, using the information needed for my tax return. 

Not a big deal if important to you.

' If eBay loses even more Canadian sellers over this, and Canadian buyers as well, does that matter to them?"

I fail to see how eBay would lose Canadian buyers with that change.  They are not affected one iota.

Message 84 of 210
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

rose-dee - there is no need to write a book on the subject.

That was uncalled for.  I'm only trying to find out how to deal with this.  Apparently someone thought a book was required, or the government wouldn't have over 250,000 search results for "GST" on their website. 

I fail to see how eBay would lose Canadian buyers with that change.  They are not affected one iota.

Please read my "book".  

Message 85 of 210
latest reply

Keeping records is a daily reality.

Keeping buyers happy means  letting them know what you are doing in relation to GST/HST.

A seller learns what must happen... and then they do IT

2017 is year number 9  with GST/HST... and money flows in many directions... especially into my bank account...

Message 86 of 210
latest reply

The best book for GST/HST is CRA on-line

There have been several adjustments over the 12 months of 2016.... mainly how much HST do several provinces charge

Publishing a book about CRA is like publishing a book about... How to use eBay.

The book is obsolete the day it is published

Message 87 of 210
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

By the way, do you happen to know if there are any complications in setting up listings on eBay so that only Canadian buyers pay GST/HST?  I presume the seller him/herself has to remit the collected tax to the government, but how often?  One site I sell on actually does the collecting and remitting of VAT themselves, relieving the sellers of this tiresome task, but I don't expect eBay is that accommodating with respect to GST.  Or is it?   

If you've been charging GST/HST to Canadians as a Canadian seller, have you encountered any buyer complaints or negative FB about having to pay tax?  Since a lot of Canadians must be used to being able to avoid paying GST by buying online, being obliged to pay it might not make them very happy.  For some people, that extra potentially 15% is significant.  

Does eBay itself provide any automated input during the checkout flow (i.e. by applying the correct %, whether GST or HST, depending upon the buyer's location), or is this something the seller has to do?  For example, if a Canadian buyer uses the cart and pays in the usual way without any invoice from the seller, does eBay's system calculate the appropriate tax?

I'd actually be very interested in hearing from any sellers who have been charging GST/HST for some years on whether it has created any particular buyer issues, and how easy or difficult the set-up and remittance process is.  

No complications with setting things up. You setup a tax table which will assign the taxes based on the ship to province. As a seller you are responsible for collecting and remitting. Small businesses are assigned to an annual filing, although you can choose to file monthly or quarterly.

With respect to buyer complaints, yes you will get some but not an overwhelming number of them. Unfortunately there is a portion of ebay buyers who believe they should not have to pay taxes on an online purchase or who simply don't understand how sales taxes work. I have only encountered one strong objection which was from a former RCMP officer (I knew of the individual from a forum relevant to the niche I sell in) who has worked retail before. That one made me scratch my head. Everyone one else who inquired was entirely reasonable when it was explained to them why taxes apply. No negative feedback related to that since the taxes are clear at the shopping cart level. I would not say it materially effected my Canadian sales at the time. How much it impacts will depend on how competitive your selling niche is domestically and what your value add is beyond price alone.

The cart will reference the tax table you setup during the checkout flow and apply based on the buyer's shipping address. Setting up the tax table is as simple as entering a number in a box and ticking a check box. As Pierre notes, the remittance process is as easy as it gets. The relevant information you are already preparing for your taxes anyways. You enter a few fields of data (in my case 4) and it tells you whether you owe funds or have refund owing. They changed it in recent times so that zero rated (international) and domestic sales revenue numbers are separated (they did this to get a get picture of why people where claiming gst refunds and to fine tune who should be audited) so you'll have to a bit of sorting there.

To get that revenue breakdown simply run a paypal history file for the reporting period then you can filter Canadian sales to separate the two. In the paypal history file they separate ebay payments, paypal invoice payments, and any manual payments received so you'll have to do a bit of extra filtering there. The monthly financial summary report in paypal will help you ensure you've flagged all applicable payments received as it provides you with a monthly lump sum total to use as a check. If you have a separate inventory or accounting program that you input your sales into you'll likely be able to use that to generate the numbers and can bypass this step.

The only other real work is keeping track of GST amounts paid on things which are eligible as an input tax credit. A receipt scanner such as those offered by neat can help with keeping track. The first time through you may want to have a tax professional aid you so you get a better understanding of what ITCs are applicable to you and how you can maximize those.

Again I would reiterate these are all things you should be doing anyways as part of your annual income tax reporting, as if you ever get audited you'll need to have all of this to hand.

Message 88 of 210
latest reply

"When Canada Post charges you GST for shipping services it is Canada Post that collects and remits the tax, likewise ebay collects and remits for the service they provide. Not sure why people are getting so confused about this."

I don't mind paying taxes to a Canadian company in Canada such as Canada Post. Ebay always has been, and always will be an American company, not a Canadian company.

Message 89 of 210
latest reply

" Ebay always has been, and always will be an American company, not a Canadian company."

The same is true with WalMart, McDonald, Hudson Bay, Sears, and all those retailers owned by American interests.  We pay tax because we buy and use the product/service here, not because who owns the store.

Message 90 of 210
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

"When Canada Post charges you GST for shipping services it is Canada Post that collects and remits the tax, likewise ebay collects and remits for the service they provide. Not sure why people are getting so confused about this."

I don't mind paying taxes to a Canadian company in Canada such as Canada Post. Ebay always has been, and always will be an American company, not a Canadian company.

You are paying taxes to the Canadian government. Ebay is just the intermediary.

Message 91 of 210
latest reply

The only people that might complain are previous customers who did not pay tax before but new buyers will not even know. When I started selling back in 2001 I set up for GST//HST and for a brief while I collected the taxes. When I got further along I was selling 95 % to the US and International and may be 5 % to Canada. So I ate the tax mainly because most of my sales were out side Canada. After the tax I paid at the PO and supplies and others it was very rare that I had to pay any tax at all.  I checked with CRA told me that they did not care who paid them as long as they were paid and I have done that every since. So if you do not sell much to Canada this is another way to look at.

Message 92 of 210
latest reply

Do we not pay taxes on Canada post products when we purchase them?

Certain ebay fees, are actually recharging the tax, when they charge us for shipping fee final value fees and then retaxing that fee again

I think we end up paying a portion of the tax twice, but would only end up claiming it once with ITC?

Message 93 of 210
latest reply

"but would only end up claiming it once with ITC?"

No.

GST/HST registered sellers claim ITCs for every time they pay the tax in one form or another.

You get ITCs on tax paid on your products purchased for resale.  You get ITCs for tax paid on all your expenses and shipping supplies and shipping (postage) charges.

You will get ITCs for all fees charged by eBay-Canada once the new program starts.

ALL GST/HST taxes paid are fully recoverable by GST/HST registered sellers.

Message 94 of 210
latest reply

What about postage we already paid tax on that service then ebay charges a fee for postage costs then you say more tax on that?

Message 95 of 210
latest reply

@postit4me wrote:

What about postage we already paid tax on that service then ebay charges a fee for postage costs then you say more tax on that?

The way to look at it is they are charging tax on the commission fee for the sale, which consists of a cut of the selling price of the item and a cut of the shipping charged to the customer. The actual shipping service itself is separate from that.

Message 96 of 210
latest reply

oh, that makes perfect sense, and plus we would have receipts for everything anyways, doh, thank you Pierre!
Message 97 of 210
latest reply

A few years back when I was audited by CRA the auditor seemed a bit surprised that Ebay was not charging GST/HST. I asked if I could incorporate a Cayman Islands subsidiary and avoid HST/GSt and got a very dirty look from the auditor. I m sure other CRA auditors of Ebay sellers showed the same thing, ie that Ebay was not charging GST/HST. The amount to individual sellers may not be large but to a money hungry government it would look like an easy way to increase revenue. If the CRA started going after Ebay for back taxes it could be a costly legal battle for CRA and Ebay, but CRA and it's predecessors have gone after large corporations that "dodgeg" taxes ( Amway a few years back). Ebay has fought CRA before and lost ( Power Seller Records) so if CRA says start collecting GST and we wont go after you for back taxes Ebay probably thought that was the best deal they were going to get. All speculation on my part, and it won't affect me at all because I am registered for GST, and it will just increase my Input Tax Credits.

Message 98 of 210
latest reply

As sellers registered to collect GST/HST, we are intermediaries.

We collect the tax... and if the amount collected is greater than our ITC....  we send money to CRA.

If the ITC is greater than the amount collected.. then we get a refund.of money paid as the ITC.

The tax is what it is... we have records.... and we act strictly as intermediaries 

If we follow procedure as presented by CRA, we neither gain nor lose money....

Message 99 of 210
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand the purpose.  I am not registered for GST/HST or whatever, so where will $$ go to?  to eBay's huge pockets??

Message 100 of 210
latest reply