Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Take a look: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cadusd=x

Why?  http://business.financialpost.com/2015/01/28/canada-gained-121300-jobs-last-year-not-185700-statisti...

Stats Canada confirmed today that job creation in Canada was much weaker than announced by the federal government on a monthly basis. 

In others words, the economy in Canada is NOT booming, contrary to statements from Ottawa!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

@pierrelebel wrote:

In others words, the economy in Canada is NOT booming, contrary to statements from Ottawa!

Depends who in Ottawa you listen to!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Well, hopefully this will give a boost to the manufacturing industries in Ontario, provided it continues long enough.  

I remember the last time around when the oil industry tanked (pardon the pun).  All those people who had gone out west to work came streaming back.  Let's hope there are some jobs for them east of Manitoba.  To listen to Mr. Harper et al, somehow the boom-and-bust was unanticipated. (??????)

In the meantime, I can only be grateful as far as my eBay business goes.  The US/Cdn exchange rate is continuing to cover the increases in Canada Post rates for me, at least for the time being. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Manufacturing will always be at a disadvantage in Canada due to the high wages that have to be paid. Totally uncompetitive.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

There was a day when $50 US was equal to $50 Canadian

Today $40 US equals $50  Canada.

Many, many  of my listing in US dollars have been reduced..  more specifically the higher prices....

Today the $50 US listings are $40 US listings.... with other listings adjusted 

US buyers are happy... one third of sales since January 1 have been to US buyers....  and with indicators that this percentage will be going up.

Canadians  are also responding with purchases...

Must keep track of things......  and watch those US prices  on items where there has been a minimal  adjustment in price.

Selling strategies ...  pricing strategies ... will change......

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

My opinion is that the Loony was always over valued. It was about a year ago that economists were predicting it should fall to 85¢, in 2015, against the US $. That was before the drop in oil.

So? The drop in oil added a whole whacking nickel to that?

That is why the B of C dropped the interest rate last week. They looked at the big picture and said "The Looney was over priced, oil only impacted a nickel, we can drop the interest rate and boost exports.". The boost in exports helps the entire country. I, me, am an exporter. This is earning me money.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

When the U.S Dollar climbed just north of 85 cents I lost my manufacturing job to the U.S. Landed another job in manufacturing and bam lost that one to Mexico. Indeed - if the dollar sustains this level over the mid to long term I think some manufacturing jobs will come back to roost hopefully but those hurt the first/second time around may be a little nervous to jump back in the game. High paying jobs on contract is a game only for gamblers.

As for exports ... strike while the iron is HOT

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Here we go back to a price difference for books.

$20 in the US  and $25 in Canada......Double pricing on all books from the US... 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

The Cdn$ briefly traded below US$0.79 this morning  (US$0.7892 to be exact).

I would think we are very close to a short term bottom at US$0.79 (give or take a little bit).  I have converted my US$ holdings into Cdn$.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Time will tell...

We shall count our blessings  while they arrive.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Op Ed piece in the Globe and Mail (27/1/15) by Jim Stanford of the United Auto Workers, pointing out that Harper's government would have had no deficit this year, if he hadn't cut taxes (and 47,000 jobs).

He might even have broken even, but the federal government gets less in taxes when the price of oil and its derivatives drops, since the tax is a percentage of the selling price.

Very strange to read Stanford actually praising Harper. Well, sort of praising Harper.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Canadian dollar taking another nosedive this morning:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cadusd=x

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

While the Russian economy is nose diving, the ruble has lost most of it's vale, and the government is burning through hundreds of billions of dollars, CDNs go "Oh dear".

China is buying up bankrupt countries: Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador. The largest economy in Africa, Nigeria, has lost a huge chunk of it's value. Greece is threatening to bail on the EEC and destroy what is left of their economy.

CDNs are rightly quite alarmed. What does every CDN say about the diving dollar? "Florida is going to be expensive this year".

Yeah, we have it tough.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Canadians have experienced an exchange rate  in the Range of $1.20 Canadian to $1.00 and higher over past years.

Canadians adapt... adjust... and move onto new things to do.

Buy from the US... more expensive... We adapt.

Sell to the US.... and it is thank you for buying .

The exchange rate can hurt... or it can be a blessing.

There also a time when the exchange rate was close to  $1.00 Canadian = $0.90 US....  only a few years ago

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Cdn$ Drops Below US$0.80

Why is the Canadian dollar down again today (Friday January 30)?

According to the press release by Stats Canada this morning:

Real gross domestic product declined 0.2% in November, largely the result of declines in manufacturing, mining, and oil and gas extraction.

Goods production fell 0.8% in November. Notable decreases were recorded in manufacturing and mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction. In contrast, utilities and the agriculture and forestry sector increased. Construction was unchanged in November.

The output of service industries was unchanged in November, as increases in retail trade and the public sector (education, health and public administration combined) were offset by declines in other areas. Notable decreases occurred in wholesale trade and the finance and insurance sector.

Manufacturing output fell 1.9% in November, after rising 0.7% in September and 0.6% in October. Durable-goods manufacturing decreased 1.8% in November, as most industrial subgroups declined. Decreases were most notable in the manufacturing of machinery, fabricated metal products and primary metal.

Non-durable goods manufacturing fell 1.9% in November, mostly as a result of notable decreases in chemical, and to a lesser extent, plastic and rubber products manufacturing.

Wholesale trade declined 0.6% in November, following a 0.2% decrease in October. November's decline was mostly a result of decreases in the wholesaling of machinery, equipment and supplies and, to a lesser extent, of building materials and supplies as well as petroleum products. In contrast, the wholesaling of motor vehicles and parts and of personal and household goods grew in November.

Anyway you look at it, the Canadian economy is not in the greatest of shape and it is largely reflected in the weak relative value of the Canadian dollar.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply