Charged fees for cancelling suspect buyer?

Community Member
Hi, someone appears to have tried to scam me and I've ended up being charged sales fees. Brief details - I listed a mobile for sale, sold successfully, buyer paid and within minutes messaged me to ask me to post to a different address. Obvious red flag so I politely declined and offered to cancel and relist for them to buy again with the correct address linked. They've asked me to cancel the sale.

When I try to do this, I can see the sale fees are charged to me still. How do I cancel and not end up being charged for avoiding a scam?!
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you look at your "payments" tab it will show as "processing" or "available" (or "on hold").

When you refund it will take them from the "available" funds, and/or will wait until the "processing" becomes "available".

It may or may not take it from your account until it becomes "available" and some folks have had problems with it coming from their account irregardless.

In my case, always when I cancel, it does NOT take anything from my account if I have funds "processing" or "available" it takes it immediately out of the available or waits until the processing becomes available.

If it happens to have put the funds on "hold", I don't know for sure what will happen in that case, I haven't experienced that scenario yet.

Note that I have my funds deposited weekly, from your note it looks like yours might be daily? That might also affect things.

The buyer can't create a INR (not received) claim once it is cancelled, and you have a note asking for it to be cancelled so all will be well in that regard as long as you pick the "buyer asked to cancel" as the reason.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you use cancelled with the reason buyer requested it problem with address, you shouldn't  be charged fees, especially if there is a record of the buyer asking for address change or to cancel.  Why do you think you will be?

When you do the cancellation/refund it will show the portion that you refund which will be the amount that you received after fees. eBay will refund the rest.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the insight, I haven't yet received the funds in my account so I'm wary of refunding from my own funds. Would you advise I wait, and then how to I protect myself from a "did not receive item" claim? The item is listed with a "postage with 4 working days"
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you look at your "payments" tab it will show as "processing" or "available" (or "on hold").

When you refund it will take them from the "available" funds, and/or will wait until the "processing" becomes "available".

It may or may not take it from your account until it becomes "available" and some folks have had problems with it coming from their account irregardless.

In my case, always when I cancel, it does NOT take anything from my account if I have funds "processing" or "available" it takes it immediately out of the available or waits until the processing becomes available.

If it happens to have put the funds on "hold", I don't know for sure what will happen in that case, I haven't experienced that scenario yet.

Note that I have my funds deposited weekly, from your note it looks like yours might be daily? That might also affect things.

The buyer can't create a INR (not received) claim once it is cancelled, and you have a note asking for it to be cancelled so all will be well in that regard as long as you pick the "buyer asked to cancel" as the reason.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You don't have to refund from your own funds.

The cancellation does that automatically. If the customer had not paid, for example if this were a scam where you are sent a false notification of payment, there would be no refund made.

This is actually a case of eBay's Seller Protection. We don't see those often enough. It can be difficult for a new or returning seller to immediately grasp whether or not he has been paid, especially since eBay will have a Hold* on your payment for 30 days against customer satisfaction.

The refund will be from those Held funds.

Since you don't seem to have been selling for a year, are you registered for Managed Payments?
You need a chequing account in the UK, and our Canadian experience is that you will be asked for secondary identification. I used my passport, DH used his driving license.

*You can buy shipping labels with those Held funds. This is a rough way to know if the payment actually has been made.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

Re: Seller protection?? Almost spit out my coffee!!🤣

-Lotz

Message 6 of 6
latest reply