Click "commit to buy"

I was wondering if there has been any new information from ebay about buyers not being able to see "commit to buy" when using their cell phone?

I have not asked individual buyers if they used their phone or pc to do business, just want to take care of the orders. Maybe that's the only way to find out though if this happens all the time with buyers using their phone.

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Click "commit to buy"

I'm not sure if this is relevant to what is happening for you but thought I'd share it as I had to contact customer service about it myself. I have a regular (long time, many year) buyer from Italy who always could use Commit to Buy for my items and I had International set up with "Buyer to contact for costs" since international was so varied depending on country and weight of item, some were cost prohibitive over a certain weight.

She contacted me to say it was giving her error messages and saying I did not ship there even though I hadn't changed anything. Customer service told me that on July 9th there were changes done to shipping because of their extensive increase in extending their EIS shipping to include everyone. I said we don't have that in Canada so I didn't think it would apply here. After checking on a few things he said that it I could no longer have "Buyer to contact for costs" as part of my shipping so that is why it wasn't working for her. I had to change it to have a specific shipping service in listing for her to use it. This was new for me since like I said I had used "Buyer to contact for costs" for international for about nine years. Changed last month apparently!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Forgot to add she uses her cell phone (she had told me at the time).

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Are you referring to when buyers click on buy it now and don't see commit to buy? I haven't seen that happen on a pc in a few years. When I click on buy it now I am always taken to a payment screen so I can't just commit, I have to pay for the item.

Or, are you referring to buyers clicking on 'request total' in the cart which then says something like 'requesting a total commits you to purchasing these items'?   The request total function is not available on the app therefor they would never see that message.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If you use the PC to click the "buy it now" button it will try and take you to the payment screen, but if you back out of that payment screen the item will be "commit to buy" and will show in your purchase history waiting for payment and in your ebay cart as waiting to be paid and you cant delete it. This is IF the seller does NOT have automatic payment required!

Ebay is just forcing the system to LOOK like you must pay immediately. which some sellers like myself do not have that option turned on and I have told customers click the commit to buy button and when it takes you to payment screen BACK OUT. Then you can do so with the next item they want to buy multiples and then get an invoice requested etc.

Similar thing works on offers sent to buyers I have people ask all the time how can I accept 4 of your offers and not pay shipping multiple times, click the accept offer and BACK OUT of the payment page and accept the next offer etc etc

On the phone, I have no idea if this is the same process, and I often mention to customers this works on a PC not sure about on the phone/app

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It's when a buyer doesn't see "request total" in their shopping cart. Only people who are using their phone have had this problem. I'm just wondering if everyone buying when using their phone can't see "request total" on the shopping cart page.

I just tried buying a couple of cards from my site with another usermame on my pc. It shows "request total" 

But I can't do that test with a phone as mine doesn't work right now.

If someone would like to try that test with their phone by putting a couple of cards in their shopping cart from my store.  See if "request total" shows. Then just cancel .

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If a person is using the phone app for eBay they definitely will not see the request total option. It has never been available on the app though I don't understand why.  
 I'm not sure how it works if the buyer is using their phone browser rather than the app.
 My guess is that it would work just like it does on a pc but I cant confirm that.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@regs43 

I must be doing something wrong.  I clicked on buy it now on one of your listings  which then brought me to the payment screen.  I clicked on my back browser and did not see a commit to buy button so I tried it with another item them went to my purchase history which showed no items.  What did I miss?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Maybe you have to click "add to cart" for a couple of items. Then click " request invoice" from your cart. 

I just think that buyers should have an easier time ordering. 

Thanks guys for your help.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@regs43 

I must be doing something wrong.  I clicked on buy it now on one of your listings  which then brought me to the payment screen.  I clicked on my back browser and did not see a commit to buy button so I tried it with another item them went to my purchase history which showed no items.  What did I miss?

Maybe they changed this only to the Offers then? This did used to work but could be a change? I told people to do this with offers recently in June/July and it did work then.  So might be the case it only works with this now

Does a request total button show as clickable in the cart for my items? I have seen sometimes its greyed out and I cant click for some sellers. Wonder if its becasue they have immediate payment turned on or havent enabled combined items?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@regs43 

You are experiencing eBay's "forced IPR", this is someth9ing that has been in effect since 2012 (yes 11 years)/ It's somewhat random but based on super-secret factors.

eBay reps when asked deny it exists,  10 years ago it was clearlu stated in the Help Pages, the info was removed from  the help pages years ago.

There is nothing you or your buyer can do.

Fortunately in  2022 eBay started refunding fees on partial refunds so you have two possible options, 1) after a buyer pays the full shipping you can do a partial refund or 2) find out what the buyer wants and create a custom order with the correct shipping for their total order.

As others mentioned the Request Total has never been available in the App.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

When I put 2 of your cards in my cart the request total is not greyed out so it looks useable. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

When Canadian buyers purchase multiple items via the cart they can almost always use the Request Total button, foreign buyers have less luck, some can and some can't, no discernible pattern.

There are some other factors as well, does the cart have items from other sellers, this may cause a problem.

The biggest issue is that eBay refuses to even acknowledge the problem exists. At one time I was able to find the Seller Update where this was originally announced (2011 or 2012),  a few years later I spent time finding that announcement but when I did it has been cleansed of any info just like the Help page where it was originally stated

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply