Comparing Sales Over the Years

Doing some housekeeping .... and shredding eBay files from 2017.  It made me very sad.

Media Sales:  162 (2017)  29 (to date 2019)  Sales in 2015 and 2016 were 257 and 214 respectively.    Understandably, fewer people are buying hard copy movies and music but still .....

Cosmetic/Skincare Sales:  224 (2017)  37 (to date 2019)  From a high of 415 in 2014.

I know women are still buying cosmetics and I am one of the lowest priced on the site (in Canada anyway).  My profit margin is very, very low.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with similar statistics, but it only serves to prove, not only from what I've read, but from speaking to people, that eBay is certainly not high on the list of sites people head to when looking to purchase .... for most items anyway.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

yes indeed, very sad for me...my eBay sales are down by about 90% since early 2017....I have been selling items in several different categories over the years ...often sold 25+ items/month; that has now become 25+/-  items/year.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Prior to the switch from listing in US Funds to Canadian Dollars, I was consistently having 30 to 35 transactions per month with the majority of those sales to US customers. Since then business (# of transactions/total dollars) has been gradually dropping off. If it weren't for the fact I choose to offer US small packet air I would now hardly have any transactions to US customers. Cause and effect? Lost the 10% discount on US sales and it's not even close to returning. 10 to 15 transactions is now a good month. It's not helping much when 1/3rd of total current sales is made up of shipping.  And the thought of offering tracked services only, makes no rational sense to a customer purchasing a lower value item that they don't need yesterday. Joe or Judy customer want whatever they are looking for in a reasonable timeframe at an affordable price.  So @mrdutch1001 @jt-libra  , I feel your pain and frustration!!

-Lotz

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Things have definitely been trending downwards for last 2 or 3 years. The Canada Post 2018 rate increase seemed to have an immediate impact on my vintage car parts catalogue / book sales to the point I have given up listing anything requiring parcel shipping. The ebay calculator issues didn't help either. Prior to 2018 I sold those items to Australia, Europe and the US on a regular basis. Canadians didn't want them for some reason. Luckily I sold 90% of my horde before sales went south.

On the other hand my ephemera type items shipping lettermail are still selling reasonably well on ebay.ca where most of my listings are located.

The same cannot be said of ebay.com listings. The troubles began to surface during the summer of 2018 and have gotten mush worse since that time. Since the advent of mandatory GTC format I've sold only ONE (1) item using that format. Even auctions on .com are not selling very well at all. . I'm able to sell to Americans on ebay.ca but not on ebay.com. Buyers seem to be on strike there.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I think almost everyone is in the same boat and sinking fast.  eBay use to give thousands of free listings and this, in turn, should up in the search engine of the net. Now because Amazon is taking over with its billions of search engine listings it is the top.  eBay management needs to understand the Henry Ford business principle which is more for less. He sold more autos because they were affordable not charged for every little thing and he made one of the biggest corporations in the world. If the sellers don't get massive amounts of free listings eBay is doomed to stay at less than the top 10 internet sites. My Vendio sells more per month than my eBay. Shame on eBay management for NOT DOING THEIR JOBS

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Many Buyers from years ago now purchase from me directly off eBay (they actually refuse to use feebay), they contact me using the paypal email address they had when paying with PayPal in the past and just ask for invoices via PayPal.

Many were once eBay Buyers but now refuse to use eBay. When I ask or inquire why I find out that many were Sellers also in the past, and ....

No Sales on feeeBay

='s

No Buying on eBay!

I think everyone on here can agree, eBay needs to get back to BASICS and stop attempting to be a very pale "imitation" of Amazon...

it is not, never was, never will be an Amazon, period!

We want a "Circular Economy" why does eBay not hype up used items???

Instead of cheap Chinese tat!

UPDATE:

This post earned me the 
Good Vibes badge - "You have marked 100 Helpful posts! Your positivity is infectious."

How IRONIC.....

IRONIC 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply