Constant request invoice problems just don't stop

The seller does not offer combined shipping discounts.The seller has disallowed combined payments and shipping discounts. Please proceed to checkout to complete your purchase.

This is starting to really upset me as both a buyer and seller.

It never seems to quit and Ebay refuses to do anything.

No wonder people want to purchase or sell off site, their site is not worth anything lately for buyers or sellers and does not work.

I think their rah rah session is in LA this week and maybe thousands of buyers and sellers should show up their will their complaints when the media is there.

Ebay may not care about their sellers and buyers, but if they keep going away, eventually it will catch up with them.

And yes, the senior execs get paid huge money for having blinders on and spewing a whole lot of garbage.

And yes, maybe the chat staff need to take their blinders off as well and start doing something themselves to make senior execs aware of these ridiculous problems.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I assume you're referring to the (very off-putting) red screen, shown below, that comes up for buyers attempting to ask for a combined total?  

This is worse than bad.  Not only is it generally untrue about the seller in question, but it could very well lead to buyers just throwing up their hands and leaving eBay entirely.  That "What do you want to do next?" prompt is just as likely to elicit a "forget it" and escape from eBay by the buyer, abandoning their purchases.  I've run into this screen myself as a buyer, but because I knew how to backtrack and contact the seller, I was eventually able to make my purchases.  Not every buyer has that knowledge.  Even if they have, how many will want to bother? 

The problem is that most sellers likely have no idea this is going on in the background.  We were told to toggle on the "Offer Combined Discounts" option in "Preferences" to enable "Request Total" to avoid this screen, but I see that one seller reported in a recent Wed. chat session with the eBay staff that she still had a customer contact her saying they were having problems requesting a total.  So I really don't know if that is effective. 

This issue is analogous to the "cart disconnect" problem that went on so long where so few sellers were even aware their buyers were having difficulties.  Although eBay continues to argue that this error screen (and inability to request a total) only affects a minimum of transactions, I don't understand how they could possibly know how many buyers are leaving without completing their purchases.  And these -- as we all know -- are the multi-item orders we especially want.  I would think eBay would want to encourage them too.  

In the next post I'll copy my comments on the July 5th Wed. board session and Rodney's reply in full, for sellers who don't normally check the board sessions.  In short, I unfortunately got the usual response -- minimize first, then make the seller responsible to solve the problem by using a workaround or alternative.  I just wish for once, with respect to checkout issues we would be told by eBay that "we recognize this is a serious problem for sellers and buyers alike, and are giving it top priority until resolved".  How refreshing and encouraging that would be. 

Buying-Screenshot 3.jpg

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

There is a post on the US boards where a buyer called a seller a liar over this issue. Partly due to the Ebay's idiotic IPR requirement they forced on sellers which makes the cart useless.

Light reading:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-buyers-are-accusing-me-of-lying-when-they-cannot-combine/td-...

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

And the issue I just has was for 2 auction listings.

When it is a huge seller with multiple ID's , they don't always get to messages quickly so workarounds are not always easy and waste a lot of seller's and buyer's time.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

As mentioned above, here are my comments and Rodney's reply from the July 5th Wed. board session.  I really don't see an acknowledgement that this problem needs any kind of priority attention on eBay's part -- not even a promise to take it up with the higher echelons at eBay.  

Rodney seems to think these are issues that are frustrating only to me and very few others (in which I think he's very wrong - a lot of buyers may be affected too).  He says that compromises have to be made with resources.  Fair enough, I get that, I really do.  But I fail to grasp what is more important than allowing all buyers, everywhere on eBay, whatever they choose, to checkout easily.  Meanwhile, eBay continues to monkey around with the décor of the site.  Maybe the reason eBay doesn't have more multi-item orders at the moment (he argues they'd like more) is at least partly due to this problem.  

I don't like to be cynical, but it almost sounds like the kind of suggestion you'd get from a second-rate hotel when the hot water doesn't work or the door won't lock properly -- it doesn't affect the majority, they're minor issues, it's your problem, find a workaround.  Oh well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(From July 5th, Post #38) in this thread: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/July-5-2017-Weekly-Session/td-p/377833/page/2

My post: 

I expect eBay will say that all a seller has to do to avoid having buyers see the "no combined discounts" error message is to toggle the "offer combined discounts" option on within Seller Preferences.  That's true, but the reason this issue remains a problem is because eBay doesn't see it as anything they need to fix.  What they really need to do is either:  

1)  Make sellers aware of what they have to do to avoid it, via a general-distribution email explaining the issue in detail, preferably with visual examples on what steps and options lead to which results.  

Incidentally, a few months ago there was an odd banner message/warning that ran for a while on the top of .com SYI pages that referred to combined discounts.  It was so perplexing and incoherent that I couldn't make any sense of it at the time.  Now, in retrospect, I think it was a warning to sellers to turn on "offer combined discounts" (and possibly also to use automated rules only) -- but this needs to be stated far more clearly and understandably for the average seller to grasp what needs to be done. 

OR: 

2)  Change the system so that not toggling the discounts to "on" does not generate the error screen that is so confusing and frustrating to buyers.  

It seems that by introducing the option to turn on combined discounts or not, eBay has somehow knocked out the part of its checkout system that used to allow buyers to ask for a manually-adjusted total from within the cart (using "Request Total").  

I can say that I've had the same inability to request a total from a cart as a buyer several times over the past few months, and based on the explanations I've been given by the eBay staffers, I now know why -- my sellers probably had no idea whatsoever that they had to toggle the combined discount option on.  Whether having that option turned on avoids the "seller does not offer discounts" error screen even if a seller hasn't set up any automated discounts/rules, I really don't know.  Perhaps one of the eBay people could test and confirm this. 

This is such an critical function (in fact you could argue it's the most critical function of an online selling platform) that it's beyond belief why it hasn't been fully resolved before now.  Surely eBay doesn't want to lose all the FVFs generated by those multi-item orders, or worse -- lose confused and frustrated buyers from the site entirely.  

Rodney's reply:

Thanks for the suggestion. I know these issues are very frustrating for you. We do take things seriously. It is important to point out that these are not dominant use cases at all. The overwhelming majority of the millions of items bought every day are single item purchases, and almost all of our combined item checkouts each day are successful as well.

We'd love to have more multi-order purchases but we don't. There are some sellers whose business model lends itself to combined discounts, and we've got tools for them that actually work well, though they are tricky to find and sometimes tricky to use for sure. I think we can better at that, but this is not an area of focus for 2017. Again, not that it isn't important, but resource trade-offs always need to be made, no matter how many developers we hire. 

We've also got use cases that we won't reasonably be able to support more elegantly any time soon - for example, sellers who want to be able to quote back combined actual shipping before purchase with an infinite number of package types and sizes and weights. That type of approach unfortunately doesn't work very well on eBay now with the immediate pay / retail standard experience. Not like it used to, at least.

The best workaround for those type of sellers would be a request total flow - so another reason to try to get that flow back. But even in those cases, I wonder whether some sellers (not necessarily you) might be better to reconsider their strategy - I mean, you can wait for eBay to change to work the way you want it to, or try to make the best of what the platform does offer. For example, sellers with complex combined shipping rules could consider simplifying the rules, moving to flat rate for some or all items, or even offering free shipping and pushing an average ship value into the item price.

That approach won't work for all, I know, but it's a thought.  

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Rodney is a nice person but the help given in many cases is no help at all as he has no control over what the powers to be do.

He is in Canada but the US makes all the decisions for Canada.

Ebay US has gone off the wall with all their issues, tests, and non tests. Ask Tyler as he is on both boards but doubtful he will ever admit to anything for fear of losing his job.

Some rah rah posters on the US boards come out and say that sellers create all their own problems when in reality, Ebay creates them for sellers.

And Canada is even worse as we are a puppet controlled by the US.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

There is a post on the US boards where a buyer called a seller a liar over this issue. 

This is exactly what I mean.  EBay is looking at this as a seller issue, but in fact it affects both parties in different ways.  An eBay buyer who isn't aware of the programming issues behind checkout is certainly going to think the seller is lying, and he/she is entitled to do so, since many sellers advertise -- in fact promote -- combined shipping in their listings.  

Keep this up, and it's a great way for eBay to permanently lose buyers to all those other sites who do know how to provide seamless checkout. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Bottom line as I read what Rodney posted is:

Ebay is gearing more and more to retail outlets that cater to a shopper that wants 1 item and pays for it. Collectors do not fit in this mold.

Ebay could care less about the hobby seller or buyer and if things don't work for them, too bad, go elsewhere.

Many of us that post here fit in the collector buyer and seller mold and unfortunately our sales are going down (thank Ebay again) and unfortunately for us, our days will be numbered.

It is not worth it to keep trying to work around all Ebay's roadblocks and punishments for very little return.

It is just another way to get rid of us without coming out and telling us they don't want us here but won't just shut us down due to getting sued by too many people for discriminatory trade practices.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I don't see it as them not wanting a particular type of seller here but more that the powers that be want sellers to set up the discounts so that they are done automatically. But in your situation it looks like is already done so you shouldn't be getting that message. Your discounts on .ca are already set up for discounts on $C and for $US on the com site right? 

I hadn't noticed those particular comments of Rodney's before and I do have to wonder why they wouldn't consider the request total flow as a priority, especially now that most of .com sellers have mandatory ipr, unlike in the past.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Because Ebay wants buyers that buy 1 item and pays for that item now.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

If that was the case they wouldn't have combined shipping at all and they wouldn't have a request total anywhere.  The request total does work....I don't understand why it doesn't work all of the time though if the seller is set up for it.

You didn't answer the question about the currency....

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Because Ebay wants buyers that buy 1 item and pays for that item now.

Which as someone who has worked mass retail on the ecommerce side I can tell you is ridiculous. Ebay wants mass retailers to bring deals, and as a mass retailer you may not be adverse to having loss leaders/kicker product but you would want to encourage and to have a reasonable attach rate to make the exercise worthwhile. This has been the single biggest disconnect with ebay.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If that was the case they wouldn't have combined shipping at all and they wouldn't have a request total anywhere.  The request total does work....I don't understand why it doesn't work all of the time though if the seller is set up for it.

You didn't answer the question about the currency....

Which question about currency.

And why do you think the US is going to IPR whether the seller wants it or not.

The people having the issues are the ones offering combined shipping for CHEAPER SMALLER COLLECTIBLE items, not your mass produced retail outlets.

When I shop at a retailer's website, it is not for a bunch of stuff, but only a specific item. That is what Ebays want to happen. As the US boards have said, combined shipping is set up for simple items and/or a notation to request a combined invoice. Now with IPR it will not work. Buyers are just as PO'd about this garbage Ebay is trying to jam done every one's throat.

Try selling stamps or coins and have it IPR for every item and see how long that will last. Ebay wants it bought and paid for so they can get more shipping FVF income which they make very little from small bulk sale items.

Maybe they will get rid of combined shipping as it does not help Ebay, only buyers and seller.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Your discounts on .ca are already set up for discounts on $C and for $US on the com site right? 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Yes they are.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

But as far as i know, we don't have the mandatory IPR in Canada yet

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

No we don't but I think (but am not positive) that auctions automatically go in the cart so that's how they have to pay. I have no idea if they can take them out of the cart. But....now I'm confused..if they were in a cart didn't they already get free shipping for all since the first one since that's how you have it set up? 

If I were you I would send Tyler a private message with the listing numbers and ask why the buyer would get that message or why the discount wasn't showing when they went to check out in the cart. Since you specify the correct currency for discounts and you have combined payments enabled, there should be no reason why that didn't work. Perhaps then they can see that it isn't caused by an incorrect setting on the sellers end. I don't know if he will answer this week though as I imagine they will be busy at the conference.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

As I see it, the point is not for eBay to offer advice to fix or work around one particular seller's issue, but to fix the whole checkout and payment flow mess so that it works for everybody, buyer and seller alike, no matter which site is being used.  

It seems beyond ludicrous that a major online selling venue should still, after all these years, not have a completely functional checkout system for all its users.  

However, viewed from another perspective, I'd have to agree with 'dutchman'  that this may very well be no accident.  EBay must surely realize that fully automated checkout doesn't work well for most of its collectibles/vintage sellers, so I can only conclude that by encouraging checkout automation, they are no longer very interested in supporting such sellers.  In effect, it appears they're walking away from the traditional eBay seller.  

This ties in with the mysterious "warning" that popped up on the eBay.com SYI form a few months ago, which said that combined shipping now had to be set up as automated rules.  I'm sure many sellers, like me, couldn't make much sense of that warning at the time, but in retrospect it's clear eBay was changing its focus.  It was around this time that I first noticed -- as a buyer -- that Request Total wasn't working.  My sense, reading between the lines of Rodney's prevaricating response, is that they have no intention of reinstating it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see any sort of "manual" checkout or invoicing disappear soon on eBay. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I bought 2 items by auction from the same seller over the weekend and of course they ended up in the cart.

I tried to request an invoice and would not work. Same garbage of an answer.

I waited and was sent an invoice by the seller.

The fact that I could not request an invoice is absolute garbage. You should be able to request an invoice from any seller at any time for any products in the cart.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I bought 2 items by auction from the same seller over the weekend and of course they ended up in the cart.

I tried to request an invoice and would not work. Same garbage of an answer.

I waited and was sent an invoice by the seller.

The fact that I could not request an invoice is absolute garbage. You should be able to request an invoice from any seller at any time for any products in the cart.

So your original post wasn't about a specific problem your buyer was having but was about a purchase that you were making? All of my comments were based on the premise that you were the seller in that situation, not the buyer.  

Message 20 of 29
latest reply