Message from Andrea Stairs, managing director of eBay Canada

Hello Canadian sellers,

Today I'm relaying a message from eBay Canada's managing director, Andrea Stairs. Her message will be posted in italics in my next few posts.

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

eBay Canada is looking for sellers to share their thoughts on Canada Post — are you interested in potentially sharing your point of view with a parliamentary committee?

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

Background: Earlier this year, the Canadian government initiated an independent review of Canada Post with the goal of ensuring that Canadians receive quality postal services at a reasonable price. In the next phase of the process, a parliamentary committee will consult Canadians on options developed by an independent Task Force and make recommendations to the Government on the future of Canada Post. 

eBay Canada has been actively engaged in this review as part of our ongoing advocacy on behalf Canadian sellers; we expect that eBay may be called to present to the parliamentary committee. 

eBay Canada would also like to submit names of sellers who could be called to testify before the committee.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

If you are interested, please respond to this thread today with the top 2-3 points you’d like to make to the parliamentary committee.  We will need to submit names to the committee by end of day Wednesday. 

We are looking for 1 or 2 people who can represent their fellow Canadian eBay sellers in an effective and balanced way. (People who’s names are forwarded to the committee by eBay will be contacted; but there is no guarantee of being selected by the committee to provide testimony. Committee hearings will take place in communities across the country; travel to Ottawa will not be necessary.)

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

If you prefer not to testify, but simply want to share your thoughts on Canada Post, please also use this thread. eBay will review comments in advance of an appearance at the committee.

Finally, the parliamentary committee’s e-consultation portal will be available from September 26  through Friday Oct 21 to allow Canadians to submit written comments directly to the committee. We will share links to the portal when they are available.

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

I just saw this message: I will return as soon as I can this evening with my relevant points. Sorry, I have to comment and run but it's one of my son's birthdays today. What time is the deadline to make submissions? 

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

Cost effective tracking.

The CP web site is a cryptic maze that is not user friendly.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 56
latest reply

Tracking for letter mail size, lightweight letters within Canada that does not cost $15, or anywhere close to that.

A complete review of the very high tracking internationally as well.

Prevent the CUPW and CPC fiasco every time the CUPW contract comes up. Have all future negotiations done with binding arbitration so businesses don't have to suffer or worry about mail delivery and receipt.

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

"Tracking for letter mail size, lightweight letters within Canada that does not cost $15, or anywhere close to that.

A complete review of the very high tracking internationally as well."

AGREE...PLUS ...An equivalent to small packet within Canada so we are not paying for a 1 kg package as soon as 2 cm thickness is reached.

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

Scanning upon delivery at no added cost.

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

When dealing with the political system, we should all remember:

"Politics is the art of the possible", which means, "It's not about what's right or what's best. It's about what you can actually get done".

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

Posting from Victoria BC.

Semi-retired stamp dealer and auctioneer and retired public servant.

As sellers we would like to see:

• Delivery Confirmation at less than a dollar. Note that Delivery Confirmation is not the same as tracking and requires fewer inputs.
  • Recognition that parcel delivery is the future of the mail service.
  • Review of parcel rates, particularly small and lightweight parcels.

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

I usually avoid this area of ebay and I certainly doubt I would be seen as being overly fond of either ebay or the moderating staff. However due to the non-ebay impact this whole crisis between CUPW and CPC will have I'll make the following points.

What the union expects is unreasonable. If the union gets what they want (in particular being the retention of the pension program as it currently exists) then CPC *must* increase prices. Parcels are the majority of CPC business due to reduced profits injected from lettermail. This also means that the shipping costs for everyone, not just ebay, smb, and average citizen, will be closer to to competitors pricing (fedex, purolator, ups, etc). If this happens then CPC will experience further financial difficulty down the road as the result of reduced competitiveness, which will then feedback into another dispute. If this happens most likely these same changes to the pension program will once again be tabled. It's time for the union to stop mincing words. Accept that the financial stability that made the defined benefits pension possible no longer exist. Everyone has had to make sacrifices. Why should CUPW members be any different? What makes them more deserving?

I realise this means they'll need to accept the proposed changes to pensions. This will likely create some animosity between old employees and new hires. They don't have to like it, no one does. Neither do they have the right to drive CPC into the ground. Be grateful you get any pension program.

I'll admit I don't like the pricing as it is. On the other hand they are all I would consider due to efficient delivery standards. I've never had a problem with their operations. I would prefer not to switch from CPC to their competitors. Ebay.ca is a flaky experience and their geo-ip based .ca search is full of fail. Imagine what would happen if Ebay tried to integrate with CPC competitors to the same degree. Nothing scares me more.

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

Hello...

Canada Post Tracked Packet-International at a lower cost... Sending an International Package with Tracking isn't cost effective.

Canada Post Xpresspost with a increased insured value rate (it's currently set at around 1000.00CDN and know where near high enough). 

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

"eBay Canada has been actively engaged in this review as part of our ongoing advocacy on behalf Canadian sellers; we expect that eBay may be called to present to the parliamentary committee.   eBay Canada would also like to submit names of sellers who could be called to testify before the committee."

I have been planning for some time to make a presentation to the Parliamentary Committee.  However it will be something I do as an individual, not a seller on eBay. 

My background here is different from most eBay sellers.  From 1987, I have been making a living (paid the mortgage, saved for retirement, etc...) working full-time in direct marketing (mail order business) using Canada Post almost exclusively.  That experience goes back well before eBay was invented.

I honestly do not think presenters should deal with labour relations. We have to suggest to the federal government how Canada Post will work for all Canadians in the future. My basic points:

1) re-organize Canada Post as an essential service dealing exclusively with mail delivery from coast-to-coast.  This service may include small parcels (sizes and weights to be determined) and delivery of "junk mail" (that is a big money maker)

2) re-organize the many "parcels" (including Purolator) divisions and sell that segment to the private sector so there will be open competition by all parcel delivery services.  Current post offices and franchised postal stations could be used for such service.

3) to minizime costs, cut mail delivery service to homes and businesses to every second day.

4) considering direct marketing is now an international business through the Internet, efforts should be made to offer shippers (both mail and parcels) services and costs competitive with other postal services, specifically USPS, our largest competitor.

I realize splitting Canada Post into two different companies - one a Crown Corporation and one a private company - will be controversial.  However, I feel it is to the best interest of all Canadians.

Message 15 of 56
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To include all mail service (even cheaper mail service) with tracking number like USPS offers.  As for Tracked Packet and XpressPost to international countries, reduce the insane hefty postage rate by 75%.

I used to send small air packet with insurance to International countries for $10.50 and Canada Post decided to delete this mail service and offers Tracket Packet and increased the postage rate to around $40.00 or higher depending on countries!!  It is insane!!  Same with XpressPost, I used to pay $around $40.00 and now it is nearly $80.00!

The more expensive postage rate increases, they are going to lost lots of potential customers, that is for sure.

Very puzzling that Canada Post offers XpressPost to Austria but not Tracket Packet to the same country.  it doesn't make sense, if they offer XpressPost to certain countries, they should offer Tracket Packet too.  Thanks and Good Luck at Ottawa.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"eBay Canada has been actively engaged in this review as part of our ongoing advocacy on behalf Canadian sellers; we expect that eBay may be called to present to the parliamentary committee.   eBay Canada would also like to submit names of sellers who could be called to testify before the committee."

I have been planning for some time to make a presentation to the Parliamentary Committee.  However it will be something I do as an individual, not a seller on eBay. 

My background here is different from most eBay sellers.  From 1987, I have been making a living (paid the mortgage, saved for retirement, etc...) working full-time in direct marketing (mail order business) using Canada Post almost exclusively.  That experience goes back well before eBay was invented.

I honestly do not think presenters should deal with labour relations. We have to suggest to the federal government how Canada Post will work for all Canadians in the future. My basic points:

1) re-organize Canada Post as an essential service dealing exclusively with mail delivery from coast-to-coast.  This service may include small parcels (sizes and weights to be determined) and delivery of "junk mail" (that is a big money maker)

2) re-organize the many "parcels" (including Purolator) divisions and sell that segment to the private sector so there will be open competition by all parcel delivery services.  Current post offices and franchised postal stations could be used for such service.

3) to minizime costs, cut mail delivery service to homes and businesses to every second day.

4) considering direct marketing is now an international business through the Internet, efforts should be made to offer shippers (both mail and parcels) services and costs competitive with other postal services, specifically USPS, our largest competitor.

I realize splitting Canada Post into two different companies - one a Crown Corporation and one a private company - will be controversial.  However, I feel it is to the best interest of all Canadians.

#2....that's a really really bad idea that can't be good for any of Canada Post's current customers and I don't see how it would be of any help to what would remain of Canada Post.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 56
latest reply

Privatization of the postal service (or part of it) is not a new idea.  It has worked successfully in many countries.

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

For sure, privatize the whole thing.  I don't see them privatizing parcel while stranding dying lettermail as a public service though.  Nor making much sense with how infrastructure is shared

Completely end home delivery.  Put all the last mile delivery out to tender the way a lot of the parcels are now.  Let them close the retail offices they still directly operate.

A lot of the comments here "cut X rate" aren't living in the real world.  It was only a few years ago they wanted to move all rigid lettermail from $2 letters to $10+ parcels.  Make an effort to understand their financial statements and what they will soon be facing.  If Haper hardn't given them their pension payment holiday they would have needed rates across the board be 15% higher this year.  Since they'd lose the WMs and AMZNs if they did that to them, it would be a lot more then 15% for us 

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

As a Canadian ebay seller, I feel strongly that Canadians be given domestically a similar service to what they see offered to our neighbours south off the border. As a Canada Post user from both perspectives as a buyer and seller, I would like to see:

1. Canada Post's Electronic Shipping Tool (EST) altered to be also Mac compatible:

2. An option for cost-effective acceptance scans and delivery confirmation on domestic lettermail, provided for an extra dollar or two, for example.

3. International Tracked packet for services offered for half the current cost. No one believes that it could cost CPC three times the amount to process Tracked Packet than Small Packet to the same destination. Both labels appear to the layperson to be identical. If the issue is liability for losses, reduce the included insurance amount on Tracked Packet by half, and offer additional insurance to the sender for additional cost. If this is out-of-the-question, I'd gladly instead take an acceptance scan on arrival and delivery confirmation on receipt. 

4. Binding arbitration for CPC and CUPW. This is too important a service to Canadian e-commerce to be left hanging in the balance while the two sides sit miles apart at negotiations. 

Thank you,

Maureen 

Message 20 of 56
latest reply