Contacting a buyer

At one time you could access a buyers contact information.   Address,  phone number etc.    Can this still be done?    If so can someone steer me to the spot.  Could not seem to find anything.  Reason i am asking is that I have two US buyers that are having problems making payment with pay pal.   I talked to a pay pal rep and my account seems ok and the buyers accounts seem ok but payment is failing (several times attempt was made).

Thought if I could get their phone number,  I could contact them with my pay pal address and maybe they could make a direct payment.   Would not be trying to avoid any pay pal fees and ebay fees have already been accessed.   Just want to get this cleared.  I told the buyers that they needed to contact pay pal if payment failed but have not heard from them nor payment received.

Has anyone else been having problems receiving payments??

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Contacting a buyer

Click on "Advanced" at the top of most eBay pages.

ON the left side of the page, Under "members," click on "Find contact information"

You will have to enter the transaction number and buyers user-name.

On occasion they will request your blood type but, only on occasion.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

If you try to take payment off the site you may find yourself suspended

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

Look again at whatever information you got from Paypal.

There may be a telephone number, or more likely, an email there.

However.

If the PP is constantly failing, it may be that the buyers are ... not quite quite.

I told the buyers that they needed to contact pay pal if payment failed but have not heard from them nor payment received.

Yeah.

Unless you have payments from non-Canada PP accounts blocked, and I don't think any Canadian seller does, I'm giving the buyers a beady eye.

Although your category should be pretty low fraud.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

It doesn't matter if the items are billed separately though paypal as long as the purchase itself was made on eBay.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

What kind of blocks do you have on buyers?

and that includes...  Unpaid Item Disputes... and perhaps other situations.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It doesn't matter if the items are billed separately though paypal as long as the purchase itself was made on eBay.

So take the direct payment, cancel the Ebay sale because they can't pay direct, and see what Ebay says.

Anything without going through Ebay is asking for trouble with their new paranoia.

If you choose to deal direct with Paypal and messages, that is your choice.

Personally, I would not do it. My ability to sell is more important than a buyer's problems making payment. This is what Ebay has created with a policy they do not fool around with for any reason.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

@dutchman48 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

So take the direct payment, cancel the Ebay sale because they can't pay direct, and see what Ebay says.

Anything without going through Ebay is asking for trouble with their new paranoia.

If you choose to deal direct with Paypal and messages, that is your choice.

Personally, I would not do it. My ability to sell is more important than a buyer's problems making payment. This is what Ebay has created with a policy they do not fool around with for any reason.

I wouldn't cancel the sale either, you are the only one who mentioned cancelling it. Regardless if the payment is made through ebay checkout or through an invoice on Paypal, the purchase was made on eBay and it would still be an on eBay transaction. The only difference is that the seller would have to manually mark the item as paid.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
The only difference is that the seller would have to manually mark the item as paid.

Exactly what I thought.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

The last time we tried to give a buyer our paypal address to pay directly for an item already bought but buyer could not pay through ebay because of some similar error ebay accused us of trying to take a sale off of ebay. So in the end we ended up canceling the sale and ebay had to give us back the final value fee. How stupid was that? Ebay already HAD the final value fee for the item, now they DON'T.  Way to go ebay......

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

@maximus7001 wrote:

The last time we tried to give a buyer our paypal address to pay directly for an item already bought but buyer could not pay through ebay because of some similar error ebay accused us of trying to take a sale off of ebay. So in the end we ended up canceling the sale and ebay had to give us back the final value fee. How stupid was that? Ebay already HAD the final value fee for the item, now they DON'T.  Way to go ebay......

Thank you for confirming my post

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Contacting a buyer

It definitely confirms that an email address in a message causes a bot to give a warning from eBay about making off eBay sales. I didn't realize that needed to be 'confirmed' though since the comments made in this thread were based on the op's mention of phoning the buyer to give them their PP information. That in itself shouldn't trigger any bots and there would be no reason for eBay to consider it an off eBay transaction as it wouldn't be one.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply