Creating a second eBay account to sell on?

Hello everyone, I'm interested in creating another eBay to sell on. My current ebay account I sell mostly toys on. I'd like to create a separate account to use with my Dad and sell collectible items such as antique's, vinyl records, etc.

Does eBay have any issues with 2 ebay accounts selling from the same address?

Should one of the accounts be in my father's name and the other in mine?

Thanks,

-John.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @jolp_emporium!

Congrats on wanting to expand and help your father at the same time!

There is nothing wrong with having a second account to sell or buy with (even if it's the same address). To avoid any appearance of impropriety, just make sure that you sell different items from each (don't sell toys from the second account as an example). It's not forbidden, but is a good rule of thumb to prevent anyone from raising an eyebrow.

As far as the names on the account, you'll want to include whoever will 'own' it. If it's both of you one of you will be the 'Primary' account owner and they can call into Customer Service and request to add an 'Authorized User' and get the other on the account that way. 

Good Luck to you both, and always feel free to come back to the forums with any questions you have - folks here are really helpful and give great advice. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

mcrlmn
Community Member

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/identity-policies/multiple-accounts-policy?id=4232&st=12&pos=1&que...

"Multiple account policy overview

There are many reasons why users would choose to have more than one eBay account. For example, users who like to buy and sell may want separate accounts for each activity. Other users who maintain businesses on eBay may prefer to manage separate accounts for different product lines."

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @jolp_emporium!

Congrats on wanting to expand and help your father at the same time!

There is nothing wrong with having a second account to sell or buy with (even if it's the same address). To avoid any appearance of impropriety, just make sure that you sell different items from each (don't sell toys from the second account as an example). It's not forbidden, but is a good rule of thumb to prevent anyone from raising an eyebrow.

As far as the names on the account, you'll want to include whoever will 'own' it. If it's both of you one of you will be the 'Primary' account owner and they can call into Customer Service and request to add an 'Authorized User' and get the other on the account that way. 

Good Luck to you both, and always feel free to come back to the forums with any questions you have - folks here are really helpful and give great advice. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the response Tyler! I appreciate the information.

Cheers!
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for this link!
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You can have a second Paypal account for the second ID, or have all your IDs feed into the same account, depending on how you and your father decide to work it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

To avoid any appearance of impropriety, just make sure that you sell different items from each (don't sell toys from the second account as an example). It's not forbidden, but is a good rule of thumb to prevent anyone from raising an eyebrow.

There's nothing improper or unethical about selling the same things on different accounts, so there's no need to impose irrational restrictions upon yourself.

I sell identical items on my 3 ebay accounts.  Why do you think this is wrong?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I think the idea would be that while there is no problem with selling say toys or even more specifically Legos on three different accounts, selling one box of Legos, the only one you have, on three different accounts would be a problem.

Probably more for you than for anyone else when you can't fill the second order for the single item.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I've thought about this a lot - especially since I am tiring of buying and selling on the same account.  I figured I could create a second account for buying, and keep my current account for selling, since I have accumulated a lot of positive feedback and a good selling record.

I am curious though - for anyone who buys - don't you think it adds to your credibility as a seller, if you also buy stuff on the same account?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Depends on what you are buying.

What you don't want to do is show your customers where you are getting your products and at what price.

So if you have been buying camisoles and homemade jam on the same account you are selling Legos and Shopkins, no problem.

Remember the ID of your sellers is not masked although what you bought will be.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This is why I have a different buying account from my selling account.

In rare instances I am buying something here and reselling it here. Some sellers* don't like other sellers doing that, so this way it is much less likely the connection would be made.

*Not me, I have several folks buying my stuff and reselling it in smaller lots. All the power to them, I hope they do well, because that means they'll be buying more from me!!!!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Different customer bases.

Ian noticed this when he (semi) retired and closed the store. He now goes to three stamp clubs regularly and a couple less often, and only does two shows (one is Orapex, with Sparks Auctions, of course).

Each club has a different collector base, some with a penchant for 10c Books, another for postal history preferably by the box, another for classic and high value material.  All in a very small city-- well island since he goes to Sydney and Duncan from time to time.

And as any dealer knows, the best time to sell at a show, be it stamps, coins, trains, prints, whatever, is before the doors open and while your colleagues are wheeling and dealing.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply