Cross border fees

Quick question, why am i being charged a cross border fee for all the sales i make including ones to Canada? I’m in Canada selling to Canada, no borders are crossed?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Cross border fees

You'll have to show an example.

Do you mean currency exchange on items sold on dotCOM where all pricing is in US dollars?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

A couple of things:

You can turn those posters right side up by using the twirly arrow thingie (sorry about the jargon) under the picture. Then hit Save.

And you not only do sell to the USA but you have a price of $35 for doing so which more than covers Tracked Packet shipping to the USA including Signature Confirmation and mailing tube option.

Are you still using the terrible Simplified Sell Your Item form? EBay defaults new sellers to that.

You can switch to the easier Advanced form through the link at the upper right of the overSimplified form.

You can then use Calculated Shipping and your US customers will see the exact cost to their doorstep.

This may be helpful.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

When you have ten DSRs and know what DSRs are and why they are unimportant, you might even venture into using Free Shipping to the USA.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping just means you can put the cost of shipping into your asking price and simplify shopping for your customer.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

If you have sold something to a US state that charges sales tax, you may have noticed that tax on your invoice.

Ignore it.

It's between eBay and your buyer. You don't get charged for it.  (And why it is even there is a mystery to me.)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

Never heard of a "Cross border fee" on all sales that a Seller makes.

There is a Final Value Fee plus Sales Tax on that eBay fee when a sale is made. GST/HST/QST on eBay fees has been charged for the last 2 years.

PayPal charges a fee for handling the sale money (30 cents plus a percentage).

-..-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

When you turn the photos right way up you might also want to crop the photo so that potential buyers aren't looking at your toenails.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

I called Ebay and there is a 0.5% cross border fee that is an agreement with the government, the money doesnt go to Ebay it goes to the government. I wouldn’t even mind that if i sent something to the US but it gets charged even if the sale is within Canada.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

Thanks for all the information. I know that i ship to the US, i was specifically asking about items shipped within Canada that i am being charged the extra 0.5% and so is everybody else.

I realize how shipping works, tracked packet costs $20 but has minimal coverage, the cheapest shipping with adequate coverage is actually $37.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

@respiraterry wrote:

I called Ebay and there is a 0.5% cross border fee that is an agreement with the government, the money doesnt go to Ebay it goes to the government.

It won't be the first time ebay customer service reps (not based in Canada) have given a garbage answer.

If you are in a GST province (BC/AB/SK/MB) and don't have a store you should see a 10% FinalValueFee plus 5% GST on the fee or equal to 10.5% of your sale. Sounds like sales tax on the fee is your "0.5% cross border fee"

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Cross border fees

Ok, thank you that sounds like it makes more sense.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply