Currency Conversion Fees

ga_742778
Community Member

I have a bank account in the US & a bank account in Canada. 

I have two ebay accounts, both same email, one on ebay.ca & one on ebay.com

I sell my products in USD.

Would withdrawing in my CAD bank account force Ebay to charge me a conversion fee & if yes, how much will it be (%)?

Im speaking with this latina lady with her agent name in ALL CAPS via ebay chat and she seems adament about Ebay not having any conversion fee whatsoever, which I know is impossible, but since I can't hit her in the back of the head to inquire about her boss...

Can someone who actually knows brighten me up?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Currency Conversion Fees

For Managed Payments, sellers must have a Canadian bank checking account.

Your Canadian bank account can be in US dollars or in loonies, but you can only choose one.

You cannot attach an American bank account if you are registered in Canada.

charge me a conversion fee & if yes, how much will it be (%)?

I'm pretty sure this part has nothing to do with eBay or Managed Payments, but only with your bank.

When you get paid in USD

• If your Canadian checking account is held in USD, there will be no conversion, unless/until you take the money out in loonies. That is, you can write cheques to your US supplier (or snowbird sister in AZ)  in USD without a premium.
  • If your Canadian checking account is held in loonies, you will be charged exchange when the USD arrive at your bank.
  • If you take USD from your Canadian USD account to buy dollar bills, you will be charged fees to cover the difference between that day's buy/sell rates. The bank changes your balance into loonies at one rate  then sells you USD at another, higher, rate.

The fee will vary from day to day- the conversion rate you see on, for example, xe.com is a mid-market rate and applies only to large transactions usually in the millions from bank to bank. It's convenient but not accurate.

Buy/sell exchange rates also are different. The bank charges more to sell you currency, than they will when they buy currency from you.

FWIW- a few more intelligent posters than I have looking into this from time to time and seem to consider it a wash, compared to credit card exchange rates. (Because some buyers and sellers are dealing with cards directly).

TL/DR - Your US bank account cannot be used with your Canada registered eBay and Managed Payments account.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Currency Conversion Fees

If you sell in US$  and your chequing bank account attached to eBay is in US$ your payments/payouts from eBay will go into your account in $US without any conversion fees.

If you sell in US$  and  your chequing bank account attached to eBay is in $C your payments from eBay will be converted to $C with a 3% conversion fee before being deposited into your bank account.

Note that the $US account must be a Canadian based account.

The money is converted before it reaches your bank account if your payout currency is different than your bank account currency.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Currency Conversion Fees

@ga_742778 wrote:

I have two ebay accounts, both same email, one on ebay.ca & one on ebay.com

I don't think it is possible to use the same email address for multiple user accounts.

Opening a second eBay account

You can open more than one eBay account as long as you use different email addresses and usernames for each additional account.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/account/signing-ebay-account/signing-ebay-account?id=4191#section7

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply