Delivery Delay on a Batch of Packages Due to Weather- Can Seller Shipping Defects Be Removed?

I recently sent a large batch of packages with ChitChats from Vancouver to Ontario (4 to Toronto area , 1 to Ottawa area). All had a Canada Post Regular Post delivery timeframes indicated (4-7 business days).

We had a snowfall last week so it delayed the ChitChats packages for like 3 days! They have a regular 3-8 business day timeframe which usually is no issue, but this time I think all of the packages are going to be late.

I already have a 1.89% shipping defect for 2 late packages last year that buyers complained about, so a shipping defect on even 2 of the 5 packages means I lose my top rated seller status.  Are delays due to weather grounds for having them removed?

Also keep in mind ChitChats has two tracking numbers - a ChitChats number that shows entire tracking from BC to delivery, and the other is the Canada Post tracking number that I've entered in Ebay, which only shows the tracking from the Misssissauga facility to delivery - so I am not sure if I'd have more success with a defect removal by entering the ChitChats tracking number, instead of the Canada Post one (it will show the 3 day delay)???

I've started using "standard delivery 1 - 10 business days" for my domestic shipping, but not much I can do about the ones that I shipped out last week.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Delivery Delay on a Batch of Packages Due to Weather- Can Seller Shipping Defects Be Removed?

I suspect you will have to do some arithmetic.

Is the amount you save in postage costs by using ChitChatExpress more than the amount you will pay IF you lose your GlobalTRS status and its 10% discount on FVF?

And how long would it take you to regain the badge and the discount should you lose it?

Because outside of the badge, all TRS really gives us is that 10% discount.

Don't get distracted, follow the money.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @teenytrinkets - late shipping can be tricky, sorry to hear that there was a delay!

Did you get an 'acceptance' scan on the first tracking number within your stated handling time? If so, that always counts as on-time even if they're delayed or the buyer says they got it late. 

The threshold to retain Top Rated for that metric is keeping it < 5% of your transactions, so depending on how many transactions are within the look back period, you may be fine even if all of them miss. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay

So if I understand correctly, as long as tracking says "accepted" within my noted handling time, my shipment is considered "on time"? Because I've had dings to my seller performance based on "buyer says late delivery". And there's a category for "tracking says late delivery ". Or Is it based on the date you marked "shipped"? This is very confusing!

Also, what if there's no tracking- or the ChitChats tracking doesn't show any tracking (even though it's been accepted)? Canada Post doesn't usually get my tracking for a week when I ship with them, so I shouldn't use their tracking, correct?
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi @teenytrinkets - 

The Late Shipment rate can be confusing, let me try to clarify! Help page here if you want to read up on it.

You get credit for an on time shipment in the following ways:

1. If you get an acceptance scan within your stated handling time. 
  2. If the item scans as delivered within the estimated delivery date. 
  3. If the buyer states they received it on time when leaving feedback

These requirements are not mutually exclusive* - meaning that as long as you meet one of those triggers you get credit no matter what else happens. For instance, if you get the acceptance scan but it's then delayed by a week and the buyer states they got it late on their feedback, you still get credit for on time shipping for that item. 

When there's no tracking information and no buyer response on the delivery feedback question, the transaction isn't included in your shipping metrics at all. 

However, if ChitChats is your first-leg carrier and their tracking is slow to upload (or nonexistent) you are probably missing out on credit for that. If CPC's delays are even longer then you may be left without much to go on.

Also, to Femme's point, depending on how much you're saving with the discount vs how much you'd need to spend in time and shipping labels to keep the status it may not make the most sense to pursue. Thanks!

*I may be using this term wrong, keep me honest @femmefan1946

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If it says buyer says late delivery then there provably wasn’t tracking on the package.  When there is no tracking or no tracking number uploaded  the package isn’t  counted as on time or as late unless the buyer answers the question that it arrived by xxx date.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply