Did you notice ebay doesn't refund platform fee on partial refunds to give buyers if there's no case

If buyer doesn't open a case and instead contacts me directly and we resolve things amicably by providing the buyer some partial refund, ebay doesn't give me back that portion of the money that ebay withheld as welling fee. 

For example, item sold for 100 dollar, free shipping. Ebay harges approx 12 %, that's 12 dollar selling fee.

Buyer comes back saying a screw was missing and wats me to send the missing screw. Instead of me sending the missing srew, I suggets giving 10 dollar refund. Buyer accpts, I refund buyer 10 dollars directly and everybody is happy.

Except Ebay doesn't bother to give me the 12% on the 10 dollar it charged. Basically Ebay keeps 1.20 dollar.

If the customer was opening the case, I would have gotten the fee from ebay. I don't want he customer to open the case foer something so simple if this can be resolved amicably.

Just another money grab by Ebay.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Did you notice ebay doesn't refund platform fee on partial refunds to give buyers if there's no case

Fees on partial refunds will be refunded starting next week, this was announced in the Winter 2022 Seller Update.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-winter/business.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Fees on partial refunds will be refunded starting next week, this was announced in the Winter 2022 Seller Update.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-winter/business.html

According to last word from Tyler... That is supposed to happen in  May but no firm date. Like most things eBay, that will be a wait and see.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Tyler was just repeating what is stated in the Seller Update. When eBay gives a month instead of a specific date it usually (not always) happens as expected.

Bottom line, it might not start tomorrow but probably will in the next week or so.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Will they provide all the refunds also retroactively for the time between I switched from Paypal to GP because I believe that's where ebay started to steal that specific type of money from sellers, right?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@itolduandso wrote:

Will they provide all the refunds also retroactively for the time between I switched from Paypal to GP because I believe that's where ebay started to steal that specific type of money from sellers, right?

No they won't and eBay NEVER refunded fees on partial refunds. PayPal did refund their fees on partials but not eBay.

And it's not "stealing" when it's published policy, policy that goes back a QUARTER CENTURY.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Tyler was just repeating what is stated in the Seller Update. When eBay gives a month instead of a specific date it usually (not always) happens as expected.

Bottom line, it might not start tomorrow but probably will in the next week or so.

According to an announcement on dot com credits for partial refunds <tentatively> scheduled to begin May 23, 2022.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Prorated-final-value-fee-credits-for-partial-refunds-eff...

-Lotz

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

That is very nice of Ebay ,but did you also know they will deduct Taxes from buyers automatically as of July? I hope we can claim those taxes next year

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

IS EBAY GOING TO DO PAY BACK ON THIS? ....NOT......

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@loc2blue wrote:

That is very nice of Ebay ,but did you also know they will deduct Taxes from buyers automatically as of July? I hope we can claim those taxes next year

Claim? What exactly do you want to claim?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@loc2blue wrote:

... will deduct Taxes from buyers automatically as of July? I hope we can claim those taxes next year

If you are registered for GST/HST then the answer is yes (once you fill out the paperwork), ebay will be collecting and remitting the sales tax on your behalf.

From the announcement:

"For GST/HST and/or QST registered sellers, eBay will be appointed as a billing agent for collection and remittance of Canadian sales taxes where the sales tax laws do not automatically require it. As such, eBay will require completion of billing agent authorization forms. A separate communication for GST/HST and QST-registered sellers will be forthcoming."

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Canada-collecting-Canadian-Sales-Tax-as-of-July-1-2...

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Just to clarify a bit further.. 

Ebay only gives refund for the "Final Value Variable Fee". 

It does not provide a refund of "Final Value Fixed Fee", which is in my case $0.34. ... I believe this fixed fee covers the Adyen payment processing fee which remains even if there is a refund.

Correct?

----

Does ebay require to open a CASE in order to qualify for this partial fee refund?

For some reason I believe the case was required in the past, so if there wasn't a case opened and I refunded the buyer then Ebay would not have refunded the final value fee.

But now Ebay will refund the final value variable fee, regardless whether there is a case or no case refund.

Correct?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@itolduandso wrote:

Just to clarify a bit further.. 

Ebay only gives refund for the "Final Value Variable Fee". 

It does not provide a refund of "Final Value Fixed Fee", which is in my case $0.34. ... I believe this fixed fee covers the Adyen payment processing fee which remains even if there is a refund.

Correct?

---

Correct, they will not refund the .30 fee for a partial refund.

Does ebay require to open a CASE in order to qualify for this partial fee refund?

For some reason I believe the case was required in the past, so if there wasn't a case opened and I refunded the buyer then Ebay would not have refunded the final value fee.

But now Ebay will refund the final value variable fee, regardless whether there is a case or no case refund.

Correct?

They've always refunded fvf if the buyer has been refunded in full whether or not a case has been opened.  Now a case won't need to be opened to receive a fvf credit when giving a partial refund. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

They've always refunded fvf if the buyer has been refunded in full whether or not a case has been opened.  Now a case won't need to be opened to receive a fvf credit when giving a partial refund. 

Fee refunds on partials starts on Monday the 23rd.

No idea why something they announced months ago had such an extended start date.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Now a bit modified question. How about when the buyer wants to cancel the transaction because changed the mind within 1 hour after making the purchase and I haven't shipped it yet.  Ebay says it will "refund the entire final value fee, including the $0.30 per-order fee".

I don't see anywhere saying what will happen with promotional fees e.g. Promoted Listings Express fee, and Promoted Listings Advanced fee.

Will those be refunded by Ebay in the case of buyer cancelling the purchase?

The same would be for the listing fee, will that be refunded?

I assume in the customer return, in the other hand, there is no refund of the listing fee.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Promoted listing standard fees will still be refunded.  Listing fees will not.   From what I understand the other 2 promotions fees are not charged per sale but based on per click or charged  ahead of time. So I doubt  that a cancellation would result in any type of fee credit for those promotions.   But I am just guessing.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply