Do cdn buyers buying from a Cdn on .com pay exchange fee on MP?

If I sell on .com in us currency and a Canadian buys from me is there double exchange fees under Managed Payments? Does eBay charge the cdn to convert to US and then charge me to convert from US to cdn? Does anyone know the answer for sure?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you list on .com in US Dollars buyers must pay using US Dollars.

A non-US buyer unless they have US Dollars in their PayPal account or have a US Dollar credit card will have to pay a conversion fee to complete their payment.

If you are a Canadian seller listing on .com you will receive payment in US Dollars which eBay will convert to CA Dollars in order to payout to you.

This is no different than it has always been except for the small number of Canadian sellers who had a US based bank account who could withdraw funds in US Dollars. Of course even if you have a US account you would still pay a conversion fee if you wanted to bring the funds back to Canada.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yup. Was just making sure what it was like on MP. If you sell on .com as a Canadian and a Canadian buys there will be exchange costs * 2. Simplified as a 6% exchange fee(a little less in reality) . I count buyer end fees because it lowers the amount a buyer is willing to pay you in total for your item. Just like "free shipping" isn't actually free 🙂

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@recped 

So what happens if you have a sale where the customer registered with eBay on dot com but has a US and Canadian mailing address? Had one recently where that happened. On the Sellers Hub page it displays as an International transaction. (All my listings are created on dot ca). Curious to know how many dings on fees there would be if they paid in US funds. Really difficult to see a breakdown. Customer did pay in Canadian funds and the transaction counted towards Canadian orders.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When it comes to payments the buyer status is established by their country of registration, therefore a buyer registered in the US is considered an International Buyer to a Canadian seller regardless of where the order is shipped or which site it is listed on.

I'm going to guess your buyer is a "fake" American (pretty rare for Americans to use mail forwarding from Canada). If they hold Canadian Dollars in PayPal or have a Canadian Credit card there would be no currency conversion for either buyer or seller.

In a normal circumstance for you and me (I list on .ca only) a US buyer only has US Dollars which will be converted to CA Dollars by eBay at the going rate, seller receives CAD, buyer sees a USD charge to their card/bank/PayPal account.

FYI - the PayPal International fee for non-Canadian buyers is .08% for US 1% for all others, MP is .04% or 1% so MP is going to be lower for most Canadian sellers.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of breakdown you are looking for?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@recped 

Before payment it was showing Seattle or Portland. After payment it became Vancouver. It looks like if there were any conversion fees those are very well hidden. Looking at the details in PayPal for a definite US buyer the transaction shows CAD all the way. The only reason I watch is because I am on the bubble for US TSR's and was keeping track of US transactions. Hub clearly states International transaction even though the Postal code for delivery is Canada.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Conversion fees are the business of the buyer and eBay, has nothing to do with a .ca seller who has no need to know anything about it.

The only time currency conversion affects sellers is when they list on a site other than .ca

Of course PayPal shows CAD for your sale to a US buyer, your listing is in Canadian Dollars, buyer can ONLY pay in the currency of the listing, they must hold that currency in their PayPal account or buy sufficient CAD to complete the payment.

Years ago before the Safe Payments Policy, before eBay even had a proper checkout system a buyer could send and a seller could accept any currency they agreed upon, that really hasn't been possible since 2008.

You can see your number of US transactions on the Seller Dashboard

https://sellerstandards.ebay.ca/dashboard?region=US

Click The Monthly Breakdown report just below to see how many will be falling off this month or the next months.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply