Do you accept Paypal for Local Pick Up?

I would like to offer local pick up as an option.  Do you guys accept Paypal for these buyers who wish to pick up?  I remember before you would lose the case if buyer claims not received (ie. need tracking number). 

Edit:  Looks like policy has changed recently?  Buyer needs to select Local Pick Up and they can't claim not received?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Do you accept Paypal for Local Pick Up?

I try not to use local pickup at all.

Time is money and the "pickup " buyer is substituting MY time for HIS money.

But most of my items are small and easy to ship.

No reason to hang about for hours waiting for someone to find my house.

Larger items are different of course.

Try encouraging your buyer this way.  "Pay when you pickup after inspecting the doohickey."

One value of PP is to make Disputes over delivery and description simple to mediate. Return for refund.

But if the doohickey is not as described, the buyer can politely refuse the sale and the seller can relist immediately. No mediation required.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

On eBay you MUST offer PayPal even for a Local Pick-Up only listing so there is no choice in the matter.

I've done lots of local pick-up sales it's rare that a buyer will actually use PayPal but it does happen. In theory if the buyer selects Local Pick-Up in Checkout (which they would do except possibly if you offer free shipping) they cannot claim INR (SNAD is still a theoretical possibility).

Personally I never give much thought to INR's, I've shipped thousands of orders with no tracking (International), my rate on INR claims is incredibly small and the few that I've had gave me no reason whatsoever to think they may not have been legit.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This is what eBay says about paying for a local pickup.....

"In addition to PayPal or credit card, you can sometimes pay by internet banking, check, or money order – either beforehand or when you pick up your item. Sellers may also accept cash for local pickup purchases. Items collected in person are still covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee."

My choice for payment has always been cash.

----------------------------

There was once a time that the payment choice was only  the seller's choice.... It is still the seller's choice, but with an agreement between the seller and buyer.

If the payment was with Paypal... there is no record of this payment... such as tracking .  Buyer can say... not received....  and not easily proved that the item was received by the buyer.

With a cash payment, the buyer gets the purchased item,  and can say whether they do or do not want the item.   With cash the transaction... payment included... is specifically between buyer and seller.... A visual transaction.... 

-------------------------------

There was once a buyer that wanted to make a local pickup with a payment using Paypal.... and only with Paypal.  It was my choice to say  ... cash only....  Buyer was unhappy and the transaction was cancelled.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

After a local pickup, paid with cash,  an invoice with local pickup at $0.00 is forwarded to the buyer.

Then the transaction is record as payment received, and purchased item as shipped.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cash is king for local pickup. If you take paypal the buyer can file an item not received claim and win as there will be no tracking showing delivered. That is all paypal is going to care about in a claim.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Cash is king for local pickup. If you take paypal the buyer can file an item not received claim and win as there will be no tracking showing delivered. That is all paypal is going to care about in a claim.

Not true!

PayPal Buyer Protection

Item Not Received claims

Your claim will not qualify for a refund under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program for an Item Not Received claim, if:

• You collect the item in person, or arrange for it to be collected on your behalf, including if you use PayPal in a seller’s physical store,

When a buyer goes through eBay checkout and selects the Local Pickup option they lose their Buyer protection for INR claims.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

That would only apply if the seller has local pickup as an option and the buyer selects it. We do not have local pickup as an option but sometimes get a local buyer who asks for it after buying. Most of our items are free shipping so its not a shipping cost they are avoiding. Usually they just want it without waiting. Also we never have them come here. We can meet them inside the mcdonalds across the street.
In cases like this paypal is not going to entertain a copy of the text of an ebay message as defense in a claim. We lost a not received case already with paypal that was a pickup. That wont happen again.
It was a camera lens. Paypal took $180 from us for it. Another thing is a chargeback. Paypal throws you under the bus with those.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply