Does INR cases close automatically?

Got someone who opened a INR and after back and forth he said he don't mind waiting over the time allowed and won't request ebay to step in. But he refuse to close the case and contact back. Dont INR cases close automatically after time if no tracking is provided? Or a buyer indeed have to still request ebay to step in? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If a case has been opened and there is no tracking, after 3 business days ebay may step in and refund the buyer even if the buyer has not asked them to.  If they don't do that,  the case should eventually close.

I don't think it is fair to ask a buyer to close a case when there is no guarantee that they are going to be refunded or receive their item. The situation might be different if they  have dealt with you in the past and are comfortable that you will refund if the item doesn't get there.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I don't think it is fair to ask a buyer to close a case when there is no guarantee that they are going to be refunded or receive their item

Not fair neither to jump to open a item not received case 7 business days after shipment 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

In my own experience a significant % of my INRs are simply people meaning to aski f I know where the item is, they have no idea that asking that question opens a case, and all the stuff that goes along with it, it comes up as an easy way to ask the question and they use it.....often because there is limited, confusing or poor updates in the CP or USPS tracking.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

A - I think that the Buyer gets a reminder after 4 days if the INR is still open, they are prompted about the item and if it has or has not been received, if they reply asking eBay to step in, eBay contacts the Seller asking for tracking.

B - Unfortunately, asking the Buyer to close the case before it's resolved is a 50/50 risk.

C - Usually, a Buyer would/should send a message instead of opening a request.

D - If the tracking uploaded shows the item is in transit and within the delivery window, eBay closes the case and makes the Buyer wait longer, they can reopen the case at a later date if the item does not indeed arrive.

E - Was this a tracked shipment?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

In my own experience a significant % of my INRs are simply people meaning to aski f I know where the item is, they have no idea that asking that question opens a case

This is exactly what's hapenning. Buyer thought he was just asking a question (at least that is what he is saying) but opened a case. For him a case is when ebay is asked to step in. Explained the situation he puts me in but refuse to trust and make it right amicably and wants to keep its protection, so will just force me to send a refund weirdly. I can't risk a case closed without resolution. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Which service are you putting in your listings?  I use standard shipping for Canada and international standard for the US and I have about 12 business days including 2 days handling before a claim can be opened.  If your listings are stating lettermail then you should change them to give yourself a bit more time.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Ask eBay to step in

If the seller hasn't responded or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, they can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if there is no valid tracking information available.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Earliest:

• 3 business days after the report date

Latest:

• 21 business days after the report date
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I opened a case in January on .ca for a purchase I made to my US address.

I was NEVER reminded that the case was open, and ebay did NOT close it in my favour after 4 days.

I had been chatting back and forth with the seller in the case messages, he said the package was sent back to him and  he had resent it and I should get it soon. I checked my mail again the week later and it still was not there. I had to manually go in and ask ebay to step in when the seller said he would issue a refund after it had not arrived the second time I checked my mail. I asked ebay 2 days after he said he would refund and still had not. ebay refunded me basiclly immediatley once I asked them to step in

I found it overall weird that anyone in the USA was mailing something with no tracking, when they have the cheap card service with tracking for the same price as stamps or less lol. If we had that here I would use it 100% of the time lol

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What I have done when I'm faced with these is I let the buyer know the rules around the case, that I only have 3 days to refund or it is closed to my detriment. I let them know that if they're ok to close the case I will still refund them myself if it does not arrive, or if they are concerned about that approach I will refund just before the 3 days and if it does arrive after that I can set up another special for them lot to purchase and pay for and ebay et al are happy after that. 

I've had buyers go both ways, remember I'm in the "better stamp world" customer wise (and you know from my annual "cookie jar insurance" report, my actual loss rate is very small).

Generally I've been fortunate that probably 50% of the time the item gets there before the 3 days is up if they've chosen to wait.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I guess eBay isn't consistent with that rule but as a seller, I wouldn't take the chance.  I know that  they gave me a defect in a situation when they perceived there was no tracking and an inr was opened.   But I was able to get it removed as there was tracking on the postal site that just  wasn't carrying over to eBay, 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

If you don't refund before the deadline given and the buyer asks eBay to step in, you will receive a defect. 

If the buyer stated in the case that he received the item, you might be able to contact AskEbay on Twitter or Facebook and convince them to close the case. If he just said he will wait, I doubt they will close it.

You could contact the AskeBay account and explain that you always resolve INRs before the deadline, but the buyer wants you to wait. Point to their messages. Ask if they could either extend the deadline for the case or put a note on the case where if the buyer asks eBay to step in, your defect can be removed because you were clearly acting in good faith. Whether they can do either of these, I don't know. 

If eBay says you have to refund before the deadline, here is what I would do in your shoes:

• Refund buyer on the last possible day to resolve the case.
  • Create a listing called "Private Listing For Buyer's First Name" with a generic photo and the same price as the item.
  • Message the buyer. Politely explain that you appreciated their willingness to wait out the case, but in order to comply with eBay's policies once a case is open a seller is required to resolve it by the deadline, so you have issued them a refund.
  • Include a link to the Private Listing, politely instruct them to repay you via buying the private listing when the item arrives. If/when they buy it, simply mark it as shipped.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Got someone who opened a INR and after back and forth he said he don't mind waiting over the time allowed and won't request ebay to step in. But he refuse to close the case and contact back. Dont INR cases close automatically after time if no tracking is provided? Or a buyer indeed have to still request ebay to step in? 

To answer your specific question......

eBay will close the REQUEST (it's not a claim until the buyer escalates) if there is no activity for 21 days.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@recped 

@recped wrote:

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

To answer your specific question......

eBay will close the REQUEST (it's not a claim until the buyer escalates) if there is no activity for 21 days.

Unless ebay decides to step in on their own as posted in post 2 and 8.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I sent refund as usual and told the buyer to contact if he receive, nothing else i can do. Won't risk myself to a selling defect and losing selling fees on top of refund. 3 case for $130 past week, tough run. Two first cases in my other threads were clear scams, now it's an opportunist buyer. Pretty sure he won't contact back. In 3 years i never had a single person sending back the money 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply