EBAY GLITCH OR EBAY STUPIDITY

izzame
Community Member

Order placed on

Sunday, Sep 9, 2018

Payment date

Sunday, Sep 9, 2018

I live in Canada, ship via CP and physically go to the post office to ship. I never ship on Sundays, my next business day would be Monday. Buyer lives in France. Shipping tracked Packet. ebay has this on the order details. 
Estimated delivery Monday, Sep 10, 2018 - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018
Everyday is a "leaving me speechless" surprise. I do have a call into them, probably a time waster as the estimated wait is now 67 min. and requested a call back. I did email the buyer and tell them that the estimation is wrong, the tracking will be what is correct and to go by that but really.
Will the buyer be able to file an "item not received" or "didn't receive on time"
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Well that is pretty ridiculous for sure. I do think though as a seller because you used tracked shipping you are okay as far as any claims go.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

There is definitely something that isn 't working right.  When I look at that listing the estimate to Alberta is 8 business days and the estimate for TP and Xpresspot international to France is 2-4 business days.

I checked a few of your current listings and many of the international times are too short.  Germany, Australia, UK and more have a 2-4 business day estimate for both Tracked packet and Xpresspost.

@happy_pigeon

There are definitely some incorrect arrival times been shown. The times being shown are different than they used to be and are much quicker than CP eta.  For example, the op's listing shows a 2-4 business day delivery time for Tracked Packet and Xpresspost.    That includes the op's 1 day handling time so ebay is saying the package will arrive in 1-3 business days!

Canada Post estimated delivery time for those services is 8 business days and 5 business days. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Just rereading your original post and even if the 2-4 business day estimate showing in the shipping details was right (which it isn't)  how the heck do they figure that Monday delivery is  possible?? Sale on Sept 9, Ship on Sept 10th...earliest delivery date should be Tuesday.  Very bizarre.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Doesn’t look as if there is any time included for customs clearance either!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The ebay shipping calculator software must have broken. These are not the correct Estimated Delivery Dates associated with those services, as Canada Post will attest.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Doesn’t look as if there is any time included for customs clearance either!

Heck there is barely time to get it out of Canada!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I had a similar issue with date expected to be received.  I just made it longer and 3 day handling.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/OMG-a-buyer-is-asking-about-where-his-CD-is-and-it-has-o...

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

Is someone looking into the problems pointed out earlier in this thread? The eta delivery time has suddenly changed for tracked packet and  xpresspost international resulting in an estimated delivery times of 1-3 business days (after handling time) for some countries.  Two of the countries  are France and the UK but I believe that there are other ones as well.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Four days later this is still as issue and although eBay  has commented on other posts, we still don’t know if  they are even aware of this problem. 

@happy_pigeon please let us know if someone is looking into this.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

What is ebay doing to correct this problem? I have a Tracked Packet order shipping to France currently sitting on my desk which ebay is promising my buyer can be delivered overnight for receipt by tomorrow despite that I have until midnight on Tuesday to ship it. 

It was bought and paid Sept 15.

I packaged it for shipping today and it will be dispatched tomorrow. (That's actually earlier than I need to have it done because my handling time is currently set to one business day.)

ebay cannot possibly expect my buyer will be happy when it takes until the mid- to end of next week to arrive as per the Canada Post delivery standard on this type of service. Eight business days. 

The item listing itself says two to four which is incorrect because it should be eight but the order details is even more inaccurate because it says zero to two business days. This isn't good for any person involved in this transaction, buyer or seller. Even if I sent this via Priority Worldwide at a cost of $194.98 in postage, I still couldn't get it guaranteed to my buyer by Monday morning from a Saturday purchase. 

Can you give us some estimate for when this problem will be fixed? It was identified a week ago. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 2.22.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 2.28.24 PM.png

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I hope that you get an answer, I haven't had much luck!

Just a note...if your handling is one day, any item purchased from Friday to Sunday should be mailed and scanned by midnight on Monday, not Tuesday. Your sellers hub doesn't say to ship   by Sept. 17?

Anytime I try to find this info in writing it is almost impossible to find but if you want, I'll keep looking for it.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Just a note...if your handling is one day, any item purchased from Friday to Sunday should be mailed and scanned by midnight on Monday, not Tuesday. Your sellers hub doesn't say to ship by Sept. 17?”

Are you certain? That’s what I would expect it would say for same-day shipping bought before the cut-off time. I thought one-day allowed an additional.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Same day shipping is exactly what it says...to be shipped the same day if purchased by the cut off time,

And yes I’m sure.  As I said, it should be giving you the correct day in sellers hub.   This topic happened to be brought up on .com today and someone else posted the .com link so I was able to stop searching for it.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/calculating-shipping-costs-and-handling-time.html#m17-...

How it is calculated

Handling time is measured in business days—weekends and holidays don't count.

The handling-time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.

Each day ends at 11:59:59pm. In the case of 1-day handling, if an item is purchased on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday Pacific Time, it needs to have an acceptance scan by Monday at 11:59:59pm PT.  

NOTE -  the deadline for listings on .ca is 11:59 pm  ET

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Alright then. I didn't bother to check that direction as part of the Hub insight on the order because there was no issue with the order not meeting its handling time commitment, only its delivery commitment. 

Same-day is only same-day on a business day or weekday if the order is placed before the seller's cut-off time. After that, it becomes one-day handling which is the next business day by whatever the cut-off time is for the seller's area of service. If you live in a rural area, having until 11:59 pm to gain a scan is useless if the last pickup by mail trucks is at 4:45 pm and the only post office in town closes at 4:30 pm. 

Essentially what you're relating is that same-day dispatch on Monday is the same as a one-day handling time for orders placed on the weekend. In other words, any order that's placed on the weekend morphs into a same-day dispatch commitment on Monday. That doesn't make any sense to me but it also doesn't really matter to me since that's not my issue with this Tracked Packet misdirection. But I'll make note of it. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Hi all,

Thank you for the examples. This now lies with the Product Managers for investigation.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

The other situation that can and is coming into play, when you drop off any package there are no guarantees scanning will first of all always work and secondly that packages will get scanned due to various uncontrollable issues. (System issues/Busy counter person/Lazy counter person/Poorly trained counter person.) I just dropped off 2 expedited packages. 1 to the USA, 2nd for Canada. The USA package scanned no problem. The Canadian package did not scan apparently when it was dropped off and is still not scanning after calling to confirm. Should be scanned when it reaches the depot sometime this evening but if they are extremely busy there is the chance it would not get scanned until after 12:00 Midnight tonight.  Again after it has left our hands we have little control over any package.  All of these systems quirks can end up affecting us down the road. Just my 3 cents. Rounded up to 5 cents!!!

-CM

PS. I have had packages going from Calgary to Edmonton and the 2nd scan that displayed was out for delivery, in Edmonton, several times.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply