EBay seller payment options

I have been selling items on EBay for 20 years periodically. I have noticed PayPal has been more unpredictable and I have heard that although PayPal has been linked and possibly owned by EBay, there are different ways to receive payments from buyers now on EBay. I cancelled my PayPal account last month and want to list a few items in the next week so I am all ears. Is there a way I can sell on EBay, get paid through EBay and then have my bank account linked so that payment goes into my bank account. I live in Canada but prefer to list on .com and get paid in US funds. In the past PayPal would hold my funds and then when I went to convert the $ into Cdn funds and transfer the $ into my bank account they would gouge me on the conversion and charge me a fee to transfer my money into my bank account. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

EBay purchased Paypal in 2002 and was forced to spin it off in 2015, by Wall   Street wolf, Carl Icahn, famed for breaking up profitable companies and killing them in the process.

EBay and PP had a five year agreement to continue their relationship but eBay was already working on having a new in-house payment processor. By 2020 they started moving German and US sellers to their Managed Payments service.  Canadian sellers started being "invited "  to MP in late 2020.

there are different ways to receive payments from buyers now

Managed Payments allow payment by credit card, Paypal, GooglePay and ApplePay.

So.

At the moment, MP is only available for sellers who are invited to join. These apparently are mostly fairly experienced sellers, who are able to take a long view. (Doesn't mean we won't complain. Loudly. )

Is there a way I can sell on EBay, get paid through EBay and then have my bank account linked so that payment goes into my bank account.

Right now, as a new /occasional/returning seller, no.

You will need a Paypal account.

Sellers must be "invited" to use Managed Payments.

BTW, once in, you cannot leave.

I live in Canada but prefer to list on .com and get paid in US funds.

No.

Managed Payments only allows you to attach one bank account.

The bank account must be checking.

The bank account must be with a Canadian bank.

If the Canadian bank account is in US dollars you will be paying high exchange fees. So in reality, it must be in Canadian dollars.

You cannot attach an American bank account, which could be in American dollars.

I live in Canada but prefer to list on .com and get paid in US funds.

You can choose to list on dotCA or on dotCOM.

Each site has its quirks but the main one is that they are one currency sites.

If you list on dotCA, you list in loonies. You can choose between Flat Rate and Calculated Shipping.

If you list on dotCOM you list in USD. You can only* use Flat Rate Shipping from an International Location.

*Unless you can use a forwarder, but that is another kettle of squid.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@dizzybizzy wrote:

I live in Canada but prefer to list on .com and get paid in US funds. In the past PayPal would hold my funds and then when I went to convert the $ into Cdn funds and transfer the $ into my bank account they would gouge me on the conversion and charge me a fee to transfer my money into my bank account. 

If you are invited in Managed Payments, they will also convert the US$ before transfering it to your bank account. EBay also charges a conversion rate unfortunately.

The advantage of PayPal is you can wait until the exchange rate is in our favour before converting manually and transfering to your bank account.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I should mention that if you list on dotCA in loonies, but give a shipping price for the USA, your listing will show up on dotCOM.

The price in Search on dotCOM will show in USD, but on the actual listing will be in both loonies and USD.

Which has been the situation since ever there was an eBay.ca.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply