Easter Monday: Stat or Not Stat?

So... tomorrow is Easter Monday. 

It's a Stat for Canada Post meaning no mail delivery or pickup from postal counters. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=find_out_operating_h&cattype=kb&cat=sending...

But ebay counts it as a regular business day? Or does it not. 

I'm aware it's one of those 'funny' stats where some people are given an extra day of holidays but others are not. 

I don't remember if it's a business day on ebay Canada. Anyone know?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

mcrlmn
Community Member

https://www.statutoryholidays.com/
Most business' are open. Most business' honour only Good Friday as a stat; some both.
Whichever the case, if the business is open one or both days, the employees receive time off in lieu if they work.

Canada Post is closed on national, provincial and territorial holidays, with no collection or delivery of mail on those days.
Post offices operated by the private sector will be open according to the hours of service of the host business.

Canada Post service is suspended on Good Friday, March 30 through Monday, April 2 for Easter stat holidays and the weekend.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

In just checking the USPS holiday schedule  Good Friday and Easter Monday are not considered holidays in USA. Would wonder then if they would even consider a Canadian Statutory Holiday in their calculations. And does eBay dot com consider customs delays  with in bound or outbound with their calculations of delivery times? That would be something a seller has no control over what so ever. I just find it curious how closely we are graded for deliveries to the USA whereas orders coming from the USA to Canada with limited shipping options available.  Example: I ordered a book from the USA Mar 22. Expected delivery window is Monday, Apr 9, 2018 - Monday, May 7, 2018. In business days 12 to 32 days. Fairly large window by my calculation. Gratefully it wasn't by Global or I could expect longer.

-CM

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Canada Post social media: We're closed tomorrow for Easter Monday, with no collection or delivery of mail. Post offices operating in authorized franchise locations may be open according to the host business's hours of service. In these cases, please contact your local outlet for information.

Considering eBay's track record, I figure Monday is going to be a business day just to be safe.

Good Friday and Easter Monday are not postal holidays for USPS.

The businesses in my neck of the woods were closed for Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Most are open Monday.

-..-

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Your local post office would be open on Monday for scanning/processing your parcels but reduced hours and with no pickup until Tuesday.

-CM

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

My neighborhood postal counter authorized dealer was open both Good Friday and Easter Sunday from noon to 4 pm despite many aspects of CPC being closed for the holidays.

I seem to recall from previous years that eBay Canada doesn’t consider Easter Monday to be anything other than a business day. (I’m wondering for the purposes of acceptance scan timelines, of course.) I seem to recall in the past making a bit of a stink because CPC not working Easter Monday wasn’t taken into account on Estimated Dates of Delivery.

In the past, I also used to adjust my handling time to account for the extra-extra-extra Easter Long Weekend in Canada (before I switched to mostly tracked services) because our friends to the South would get annoyed and/or frustrated that their order mailed Thursday night before Good Friday would take so long to arrive.

I’m just trying to figure out if I have until Monday close of business day or Tuesday close of business day to meet my same-day dispatch commitments for items paid this weekend. I’m thinking tomorrow isn’t a Stat as far as eBay is concerned.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I am in a small town and our post office was closed since Friday and won’t open until Tuesday. I’m not driving an hour each way to mail stuff so I guess I’ll be late mailing in Ebays eyes.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

What I've started to do also request a scan for all small packet air USA and Intl and ask for the receipt along with standard scans of expedited and tracked.  If its new clerk sometimes they are unclear of the procedure usually you can walk them through it and then  you have physical proof of drop off. I've had packages picked up at my depot in the evening but not leaving town until the following evening on many occasions. Also see some of my US packages now going directly from Calgary to LAX  and bypassing Richmond BC. It can be a lottery on the routing to USA depending on your pickup location in Canada.

-CM

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Fun fact for the day. If you ever have the opportunity to actually mail a parcel to CPC in Ottawa it will be delivered shockingly quick. Expedited to Ottawa is normally 4 business days. I've had Montreal take 6 days. My parcel was there overnight  for some reason. They will pay promptly and there will be no return communication or feedback from them. A test? I'm not sure but a sale is a sale!!!

-CM

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodieswrote:

some of my US packages now going directly from Calgary to LAX  and bypassing Richmond BC. 

Doubtful.

What you're probably seeing is missing scans.  Maybe the scan in Richmond didn't show up on your screen.  Next time this happens, call CP and see what they see on their screen.

Also, all international mail entering the USA on the west coast enters in SF.  Maybe another missed scan.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodieswrote:

If you ever have the opportunity to actually mail a parcel to CPC in ........

I'm not sure but a sale is a sale!!!

-CM

You sell stuff to Canada Post?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Did once.  Confirmed the address and it was directly to a particular department at CPC. Possibly could have been for an employees personal use but not likely. Order included a PO number. Just was very surprised when it arrived overnight.

-CM

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Shipped Tracked service.Item processed March 6th 12:23 Calgary. Next scan arrived at USLAXA 23:45  Mar 6. Delivered in Colorado on  Mar 12th. Only noticed this happening for approx 10 days now appears they've gone back to routing via Richmond. Noticed the same scans a few other times with identical scan spacings. They may just have flights available with room  so are able to use that routing. Hey, I never complain when things are delivered quickly. I've seen other times when shipments have sat at LAXA for 4 or 5 days.

-CM

Message 13 of 13
latest reply