Ebay, A Most Unprofessional Company!

seadogj41
Community Member

So I recently decided to begin selling my products on eBay, not having a Seller's account, I began to go through the process of setting one up. Admittedly everything about doing this on eBay was new to me. I work a regular daytime job and can only do my side business in the evening, so back on the 17th of October, I set up the eBay account. Everything for the most part went well, until right after I entered my banking information. When trying to complete the process, I received a message that eBay was having trouble verifying my identity, I'm not sure what was causing this, but I couldn't seem to move any further.

I reached out to eBay through chat and got a friendly chap that I asked to look into it and give me some guidance. The eBay CSR said they couldn't see anything wrong on their end and asked if I had tried listing anything. I told him that I had started creating a draft listing, but nothing was yet posted. He told me I should go ahead and try and list something to see if everything worked right. Because the hour was getting late, I told him that I would do that the next night I was working on the computer.

On October 20th, 2021, and only three nights later, I decided to finish the draft listing I had started. The first thing was I checked my bank account to see if the small deposit had been applied that eBay said they would attempt to do, I didn't see it. I completed the listing, but when I attempted to post it, I got a message stating that I had not set up a payment method. I had no idea if they were talking about a payment method where I would pay my eBay fees or a payment method a customer would use to pay for the product. I decided to reach out again to eBay through chat.

Literally, while I was in the process of contacting eBay, I received an email from them as follows:

==========================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Your eBay account has been permanently suspended because we noticed activity that we believe is a risk to our community.

This means the following:
- You can’t buy or sell on eBay any longer. Any other accounts that you own or that are associated with this account have also been suspended.
- Outstanding selling fees are due immediately, and any amounts that you haven’t previously disputed will be charged to the payment method we have on file.

The safety of our community is a top priority for us, so our decision to permanently suspend your account is final and can’t be appealed.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding this matter, select Help & Contact at the top of most eBay pages.

Thanks,

eBay
==========================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At this point, I had not listed any product, I had not entered any CC information, and had not even completed the setup of the eBay account. I reached out to eBay who told me they had "reviewed" my account and there was no recourse for me and that I could no longer buy or sell on eBay. When requesting to know what the issue was I was not given any information as to what went wrong, and I'm still at a loss as to what the problem was or what I allegedly did. It certainly made me wonder what a person who makes an income from eBay would do if treated like this, it seems it could be a recipe for a financial disaster. I submitted the transcripts to eBay from the first and second conversations I had with them while trying to set up my Sellers account, but have not heard anything back at the time of writing this post. It would seem to me that eBay doesn't consider their Sellers all that important to them.

Very unprofessional.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I had no idea if they were talking about a payment method where I would pay my eBay fees or a payment method a customer would use to pay

Both. EBay' s Managed Payments accepts payments for sellers who cannot take credit cards directly (working with Paypal, GooglePay, ApplePay, Visa MC, AmEx and Discovery)  and transfers the money to the seller's checking account.

We can summon an eBay employee. tyler@ebay is away this week, but two other employees may be covering his desk.

You are not alone in having problems with setting up new accounts. Managed Payments is much more strict about identification and I personally, had problems with them accepting my banking information.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I think that in situations like this a bot is set up to look for certain thngs and you caught up in it even though you are trying to do something totally legitimate.   Tyler can't deal with individual account problems so it would be best to contact customer service on Facebook or Twitter. You can send a private message explaining the problem and hopefully they can fix the problem or pass you on to someone who can.  In the original message give them the ebay ID that you were using as well as your name and postal code that you used to set up that account with.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I just read your issues you were having with E-Bay 

Just to let you know you were correct that the sellers mean almost zero to E-Bay the ruels change a fair bit and every time they change it makes it wors for the seller. our rights are pretty well gone. I have been really focusing on my own web sites and tring other sites to move my products. when I find a site that fits my needs. I will post my findings 

hope you find a way to sell 

Joe 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I as well had issues with setting up my new account . We had it all set up and working and then a e-mail came to us saying there was a problem i had to work with the bank for help by the time the Bank did there paper work for me it was to late so i was suspended and 800 items taken off E-Bay. Left a bad taste 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply