Ebay Cross Advertising For Cheaper Products

Hello,

I just noticed when I go into sold listings that ebay had a bunch of related ads with links to websites at the top. Now since this was sold it didn't bother me however ebay is adding

this to the bottom of new listings and encouraging people to shop elsewhere. I did a search for a Cynthia Rowley shirt and it gave me a site offering 70% off called shopstyle. Just called an ebay rep and he said I had adware but after getting him to look into my new listings and one of his sold listings he is seeing the same thing. As a buyer I, of course, would love to get the cheapest price however as a seller it ticks me off that they are driving traffic to other sites. Sales for the last 2 weeks have already been the lowest I've seen in almost 2 years.  I rarely go a day without something selling and last week I had 3 days with no sales at all.  I can see why, if people are shopping alternative websites. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

hlmacdon
Community Member

External ads have always been part of the ebay experience, they just were terrible at monetizing it, hence the huge push on promoted listings. They are brokering deals with retailers and websites/marketplaces to buy listing inventory for ebay so it wouldn't surprise me if directing traffic to them as a reciprocal thing wasn't part of the deal. 

Current product pages are a mess and do more harm than good. If the marketing head worked for me I would have fired them. Monetizing every pixel on a screen might seem like a clever idea but it increases bounce rates and cart abandonment when it is done tastelessly. It's a bit like walking into the middle of a surgery and adding your two cents into the mix.

Millions of people run ad blockers for a reason. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I don't think ad blockers would remove these types of ads. I don't mind ads for Hudson Bay, Visa etc because they don't affect my sales but ones that specifically offer reduced prices for the same items I am selling is counter-productive. Ebay gets final value fees when we sell something so why are they shooting themselves in the foot by making it impossible for us to sell anything.  I guess we all have to make our own websites and then contract with ebay to get exposure resulting in sales on them. That's the only way we're going to make any money at this rate. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Just looked at a sold listing for a book.

One of the ads was for a book seller's website.  

This seller has a store where books are sold on eBay.....  and now this seller has a link to an off eBay site...  where this seller  can sell books... OFF eBay.

It was my impression that this was not allowed.....  an eBay seller linking to an off eBay website to sell

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

now that's an interesting point. I think ebay relaxed that rule a while ago though because I see listings saying that they have their stock in a brick & mortar as well as on ebay. I would be concerned about selling something in the store and on ebay at the same time and getting defects for item not available but that's their problem..LOL

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

forgot to mention,  we all had to revise listings that had any links to off ebay sites like hosting sites etc...and this person would have an advantage by having a link provided by ebay.  Which is what I said in a previous post, we all cancel ebay, get websites and contract with them to promote those websites...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I don't think ad blockers would remove these types of ads. I don't mind ads for Hudson Bay, Visa etc because they don't affect my sales but ones that specifically offer reduced prices for the same items I am selling is counter-productive. Ebay gets final value fees when we sell something so why are they shooting themselves in the foot by making it impossible for us to sell anything.  I guess we all have to make our own websites and then contract with ebay to get exposure resulting in sales on them. That's the only way we're going to make any money at this rate. 

You can block any page element you want really if you don't want to see it. You can run an  adblocker in conjunction with something like ublock origin and selectively remove everything. I use a combination of that for my main work browser but keep another one without just so I can compare from time to time to see what's changed.

As for why they are doing it? Simple ,they need to drive their GMV upwards every quarter. User growth is essentially negative once you remove all of the fudging eBay's execs have been using to game the numbers. The only way the can appease shareholders is to turn to monetizing sources other than buyers. That means moving forward they will be looking at more ways to extract money from sellers and more ways to decrease marketing spend while increasing advertising revenue, whether taken from the seller or an external party. Every business works in cycles, eventually you peak, max out your total addressable market for sales and have to switch towards making more profit from your existing level or declining level of actual sales. Think of it like when a new company takes over an old one, they look at where they can pinch pennies to cut costs and where they can charge more.

With the reality of where ebay is today, it should not be seen as the sole venue for your business. It's a channel, and it can be a very important one, but that is all it is. You should look at ebay as one of your larger important customers rather than your entire customer base. If you objectively analyze a given seller looking at their number of listings versus their actual sales you can see a great many sellers are failing to turn their inventory within 120 days let alone 90, 60, or 30. Businesses go broke that way.

The vast majority of marketing/ad spend goes to google and facebook to drive traffic to brand/retailers websites. That is where retailers are finding positive ROI as it is highly targeted/tuned to the customer, but if your sole sales channel is ebay, the high cost of doing business here means you can't throw around marketing dollars to drive traffic whether you adverting externally or from within ebay. Between "trending rates" from promoted listings, fees, etc you are effectively at a 20-25% cost. That doesn't work as a business unless you are in an exceptionally high margin category and even then those tend to be categories with very high levels of return and buyer fraud. There are low cost ways of driving traffic to your listings via communities or blogs that can help, but how much that can help depends on the nature of what you sell.

If you look at how ebay is evolving, in order to succeed as a seller what you sell will be less important than how low you are willing to sell it for and how geographically close you are to larger markets. The best match algorithm is going to be heavily weighted towards driving customers to a "good" seller with the lowest price that can get the item the quickest to a customer for the lowest total cost. For those that sell less mainstream items we get stuck in a quagmire where feature wise there is very little on the platform moving forward that is being designed to increase the discoverability of our items by buyers. Switching everything to GTC is one of the few things that will actually help in this regard since it will keep pages indexed by search engines for longer.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

thank you for your advice, does give me a lot to think about. Physically I'm not able to do more than ebay and it does pay my bills, but having just done my taxes I see about 1/3 went to ebay/paypal fees. On the flipside if I didn't sell on ebay I would be standing in the line for unemployment or some sort of medical assistance.  Since I'm a home-based operation I don't have any overhead and can "call in sick" whenever I need to, so for the time-being I will slug through the ebay quagmire as you put it..LOL..

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I was just thinking about what you said and I wouldn't have a problem with this type of advertising if it were random ads however they seem to tailor the ads to the item being sold and THAT is what I really object to, with so many search engines out there people are already shopping around but at least they have to put in some effort doing that. This way those ads are directly competing with our listed item and by providing the link making it very easy for buyers to jump ship from ebay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

thank you for your advice, does give me a lot to think about. Physically I'm not able to do more than ebay and it does pay my bills, but having just done my taxes I see about 1/3 went to ebay/paypal fees. On the flipside if I didn't sell on ebay I would be standing in the line for unemployment or some sort of medical assistance.  Since I'm a home-based operation I don't have any overhead and can "call in sick" whenever I need to, so for the time-being I will slug through the ebay quagmire as you put it..LOL..

I think there are a lot of people in that situation. Ebay has traditionally been the venue (before Facebook stole that market) for people looking to sell to make ends meet or as a side hustle. I sort of view ebay as the Uber of ecommerce in that respect, bringing all the positives and negatives of that model. That doesn't mean it has less value, as it can play a key role for people like yourself and many others. As a sole venue for a business you want to scale, it's just a difficult proposition as it has evolved in a very different direction from where it started.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The key words in a listing are......

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Am I now responsible for these links?    .... I did not put these links in my listing.

Do these links interfere with my selling on eBay?  Perhaps

I have several copies of the same book  for sale...  I will sell.. and then relist.  .....  and sell... and then relist.

Since August 2017 I have sold 19 copies of the same book on eBay....  Will these links interfere with the sale and relist option with this book....  and others?

Is there a way for me to say..... NO links.....?

With one sold bookthe link was to a site that said a copy of this book is available for sale.... but the link was to an off-eBay site....

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Unfortunately there are no opt outs for advertising of any kind. Ebay views all traffic as their traffic so it is there to be monetized. For what it is worth, their previous earnings call indicated they are cutting back on third party external ads moving forwards and pushing promoted listings as those are actually growing.

Moving forward I think you'll see more downward price pressure from sponsored products from promoted listings appearing on your listing frame page. If your items don't have part numbers, find a popular competitor, mimic their keywords, undercut their price and run a promoted listing.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply