Ebay SIN Number

If they think im gonna give them my SIN number. Just like the bucks program they will reverse their decisions arbitrarily and they will still have my personal and sensitive information on file ready and waiting for hackers.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay SIN Number

marnotom!
Community Member
There are alternatives to the SIN that you can provide eBay with in most cases. The impression I’m getting from similar discussions board posts as yours is that eBay starts playing hardball in requesting or demanding it when something about the seller or the seller’s track record has set off a yellow flag. I don’t have any solutions for you, I’m afraid. Sorry.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ebay SIN Number

@marnotom! wrote:
There are alternatives to the SIN that you can provide eBay with in most cases. The impression I’m getting from similar discussions board posts as yours is that eBay starts playing hardball in requesting or demanding it when something about the seller or the seller’s track record has set off a yellow flag. I don’t have any solutions for you, I’m afraid. Sorry.

@wkndshop 

As per Tyler that field can be skipped on dot ca. It's just not clearly expressed when you go to fill in the application. I bypassed it with no issues. By sounds of things when form was created they just used what they had from dot com without removing that field.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Ebay SIN Number

Providing the SIN for registering for Managed Payments is .... optional.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ebay SIN Number

SIN is optional.

Under Canadian law eBay can not force you to provide a SIN to sell on eBay.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ebay SIN Number

It's illegal to demand it.

You can provide it if you like.

There may have been rumours about who was getting those 'demands' but I believe it is just there because... Canada is just another US state? in some poorly educated American minds.

Not that I should talk, I only recently learned that there is a state called Idaho and another called Iowa. Did they learn nothing from Arkansas and Kansas?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply