Ebay assisted a scammer in ripping me off

Recently sold a used camera lens to a buyer with a 0 feedback score (my mistake).  When the item sold, I received the usual notification from ebay that it had sold, and was provided with a name and shipping address for the buyer.  Note this is important - ebay provided me with the shipping address of the buyer.   The following day I shipped the item by courier to the address provided and received confirmation of delivery.  A couple of days later the buyer contacts me to say she never received the item.  When I provided proof of delivery, she advised me that I had shipped to the wrong address.  She said "I contacted ebay and they told me you shipped it to some address in Vancouver"  -- which sounded odd to me and made me wonder if I was being set up.  So  I contacted ebay customer service and advised them that I am pretty sure I am being scammed, and this person is going to end up with both my lens, and a refund for the lens.  That is exactly what happened.  The eBay customer service rep confirmed for me that when this person bought my item, her address was listed as the one provided by ebay.  Shortly after buying my item, but after I had shipped it, she changed the shipping address associated with her account.  The was confirmed by the ebay rep, who agreed with me that there was something suspicious about this transaction.   She advised she was going to send information about this transaction to some other department that deals with fraud, just in case the buyer opened a dispute against me.  Which of course she did.  The seller initiated a dispute, and even though I have proof that the lens was delivered to the shipping address PROVIDED BY EBAY,  they settled in favor of the buyer and provided a refund.  So in essence eBay set me up to get scammed and I am out several hundred dollars -- and somewhere in BC there is a lady with both my lens, and my money.  I have sold through ebay for about 15 years -- lesson learned.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

you need to file an appeal.

was this done through Managed payments. or Paypal.??

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Oh, I'd be fighting this one tooth and nail.

It's getting really disgusting to hear some of the stuff ebay is letting scammer buyers get away with.

Do not let this one go.

Also, I live in the Vancouver area, and I'd be happy to help in any way I can regarding the "misdelivered" address.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'm sorry, hope you get justice. I'm convinced ebay is increasingly just automatically refunding buyer requests without even looking at the exchange between the buyer and seller. I've had a few this year, and I know the buyer in a couple of cases didn't do anything to escalate it to customer support, it just automatically processed a refund after a certain number of days open.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If the buyer made a change to their address after payment  that would not affect the transaction you had with her at all so if the rep is telling you that they changed their address after they paid and that's where you should have shipped to, they are incorrect.  If you have delivery confirmation showing that the package was sent to the address that was used at the time of payment, then you should be covered by seller protection for an item not received claim.   However, it's not uncommon for a buyer to change an address when they pay so if you made note of the pre-payment address and sent the package there rather than to the payment address then you would be at fault.

Once a buyer pays, the payment address is the only one showing to the seller on both ebay and Paypal.  If you look at the transaction right now, is that the address that you sent the package to?  If it is and you have delivery confirmation showing that the package was sent there, then you definitely need to file an appeal.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This seems incredibly odd that eBay would not "also" reimburse the seller. They, according to your description, see that the change in address occurred after the item was sold, so it must be their (eBay's) responsibility to "not" allow such changes to occur (by buyers), to "sold" items. This attempt should have triggered an automatic cancellation (IMO). EBay is creating loose ended transactions that can be corrupted, and then not taking responsibility for said transactions. They need to make their platform "idiot-proof" so to speak.  I would totally appeal this decision.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply