Ebay fee question for the members who understand the fees

Im probably just to lazy to figure this out my self.

I just sold an item and recieved payment through the new pay program Ebay forced on us. After looking at the fees, I feel that the fees are higher.

Does this amount look right to anyone.  Seems more than the 12% 

US $277.85
Total sale     

-US $40.75
Ebay fee 

US $237.10
C $279.65
Net sale
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

A couple of questions first....Where is the buyer located? Was there tax on the transaction?

A lot of the information should be in sellers hub under payment.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Not a third question (sort of) but GST/HST is also added to the fees so the Seller location is also a factor (OP is in BC so it should be just GST of 5% of the fee sub-total).

@mdf_jersey 

In the Seller Hub, Payments Tab, All Transactions, find the sale and click on "transaction details" for a breakdown of the fees.

There will be the base fvf fee of 12.55% + $0.30 fixed fee + International Fee for a non-Canadian buyer (.4% for US, 1.0% for others).

As PJ mentioned, the US Sales Tax (or UK, AU/NZ, Norway VAT) is also part of the "total sale amount" but that is in addition to the total of Item+Shipping.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Seems more than the 12%

It should be more than 12% because the base fee alone is 12.55% plus the amounts I detailed in the previous post.

One other thing, since your sale was in US Dollars and your Payout is in CA Dollars there is ther currency conversion to account for as well as the regular fees.

(not applicable if you are in the brand new US Dollar payout system which only started last week).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions

Select Transaction Details for the item you want to look at.

Looks like ebay added more info to the detail section today (May 12) that was not there yesterday. So now a lot easier to see the fee calculation.

A work in progress, since GST/HST is refered to as VAT, so could be made a bit more clear.

-..-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

The fees % is 12.35% and then you pay tax on the fees charged

If the item was sent to USA from Canada you pay an extra 0.40% fee on total sale and tax on the fee 

Then if the buyer paid tax on the purchase with in there local state and agin you pay 12.35%  plus 0.40% on that amount which ebay takes automatically from the buyer and you pay tax on those fees

Plus you have tha standard $0.30 charged per transaction plus $0.04 tax thus $0.34

Finally you get the nice treatment on the exchage rate conversition USA to Canada and pay extra in fees on the conversition but i dont know if Ebay charges taxes on fees, if they do then you have to really think things over if Ebay is the future for selling sports card online. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Fees based on: US $297.30

Final Value Fee

-US $37.31
Variable percentage  Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop category
Rate for US $0.00 - US $7,500.00
12.55%
International Fee
0.4%
-US $1.19
Charged because the delivery address is in United States Final amount: US $297.30

Item fee subtotal
-US $38.50

Quantity 1
Item fee total
-US $38.50
Final Value Fee
-US $0.30
-US $0.30
Per order fixed amount

Total fees
-US $38.80
VAT
-US $1.95
Total fees (VAT)
-US $40.75
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

International fee .04%?? Whats next, an apple pie tax.

Looking at the statement, ebay just seems to adding on any thing they can put a name to. I guess it make it more official. 

Its not a lot per transaction, but it adds up anually

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

To clarify...The fee isn't because the item was sent to the US. It is because their account is in the US.  If their account was in any other country, the international fee would be 1% regardless of where the item was actually shipped to.

The MP international fee for US buyers is less than it was with Paypal as they charged an extra .7% for US buyers.  That's why when you had a US buyer the Paypal fee was 3.7% rather than the 2.9% for a Canadian buyer.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've been shocked with all these discussions about international fees that so many people never realized that PayPal has always had the same fees (and higher).

I guess the difference is that PayPal never itemized the fee breakdown and just gave a lump sum with no detail while eBay is much more transparent.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply