Ebay is scamming me?

geonico-0
Community Member

I need a professional sellers help.

I am new to selling on ebay probaly for a year now. I have never has any issues with any iteams and always use the ebay provided shipping as it was the easiest and more cost efficent. Rencently I sold two iteams from Canada to USA. Note: i have sold Iteams to the states with no issue in the past. When I sold the iteams I purchased ebay shipping like normal. A month went buy and the buyer claimed iteam was not shipped. I shipped it and I always make sure to get the recpits as well so I looked at ebay tracking and I noticed ebay provided me with a 18 digit tracking number. Turns out there is no such thing tracking numbers are 16 digits or less. I thought this was weird but thankfully I had my recepit so I checked that and the trakcing number was not found as well. Ofc ebay refunded the buyer because there was no proof of delivery. So i called Canada post and they informed me that infact the shipping I purchased through ebay never came with tracking. But when you purchase an ebay shipping label they claim all there labels come with tracking even the one I bought had a tracking check mark. 

Summary: Since I have no tracking number Canada post will not refund me nor ebay. I purchased a fraud tracking number with ebay and they refuse to fund me for my iteam. I am now lost of an two iteams and two sales. This is not okay. Any advice on how I can get my money back? Has this happened to someone else.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay is scamming me?

Sounds like you shipped using Canada Post Small Packet USA.

That 18 digit number is the label purchase number and is not a tracking number.  I think I remember a few other posts that mentioned this problem for small packet purchased through ebay.

Small Packet has no insurance and is considered "untracked" by Canada Post and USPS. But it does have an internal tracking number which you have to find on the label.  Format is usually:  UR 9 digits CA (found in tiny letters under the bar code).

You can manually enter that number as the "tracking" number  and it will work some of the time for USA -- it looks like ebay has access to the internal scanning data made by USPS.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

As ypdt Dennis said, you likely purchased small packet which is considered  a non uninsured and untracked service.  It is confusing that eBay adds in that order number as a tracking number but it is not fraud.  If you manually add the UR code under the bar code on the label as a second tracking number, it may show when the package is scanned once it is in the US. There is no guarantee that it will be scanned though as it isn't an 'official ' tracking number.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

Yes the one on my receipt is the same as the label the UR 9 digit code but with that one it just tells me that it is scanned Canada post is unable to tell me if it reached the states.
My issue is when you buy with eBay it says this service provided tracking but you are right this service is not insured.
Did you happen to read any solutions on the other post.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

My issue is when you buy with eBay it says this service provided tracking but you are right this service is not insured.
Did you happen to read any solutions on the other post.

Whether you purchase your label through eBay, Shippo, any third party or even from a Canada Post counter in person, tracking is only based on which service you choose/pay for, if you choose one without tracking by the postal service it can't be tracked. The number eBay gives is a receipt not tracking number. The solution is to  chose Tracked Packet USA (which always has tracking) or another trackable service. If you still wish to buy labels through eBay here and it is inexpensive item you could still use Small Package USA and take a "chance" since many packages still make it with this service, you just won't have the proof with tracking. Maybe the links sent above by other members will be helpful? I hear a lot about Chitchats too but I have never used them.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

Because the service is not tracked you will probably lose the case.

But

Sometimes.

Not always but sometimes

Sometimes that UR number entered as if it were tracking is accepted by the buyer, who gives up.

Sometimes that UR number is accepted by eBay as tracking.

Sometimes that UR number is accepted by USPS as tracking.

Don't count on it.

But try anyway.

And bookmark this site

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

which can help you decide if tracking is worthwhile.

The value of the shipment, and the annual value of your shipments will help you decide if the much higher cost of tracking is worthwhile.

Remember this is both an emotional and a financial decision.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

Yes now i have learned my lesson unfornually it is just so anoyying  because ebay thinks  that all the shipping they provide comes with tracking meanwhile it doesnt now i have to take a lost for not knowing. The solution they told me was that I never shipped it out even though I had a recipt from the post office is so crazy to me.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

Canadian, and I think most international sellers, do not use tracking very much because it is very expensive.

Meanwhile USPS makes tracking so cheap that our American buyers expect it -- even though it is a Seller protection and does nothing for them.

The cheapest Small PacketUSA  (untracked) rate is $8.59  for 100-200gr.

The cheapest Tracked Packet USA  rate is $12.56 for the same weight.

By comparison the same item could* ship for $3.19 if it is under 2cm thick and goes LetterRate.

So.

Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is just adding and/or  putting aside in a virtural Cookie Jar a few pennies from every sale as a self-insurance premium against loss or damage in transit claims.

Keep in mind that most people are honest and most claims - particularly on low cost items- are valid.

It's also worth considering whether using the safer but more expensive Tracked Packet is worth the extra money.

By using an untracked service you saved ~$4 (or more) on every shipment .

Add all those up.

Which was more the added fee or the item** you lost?

*"Could" because we are not actually allowed to use Letter rates for goods. Do you like living on the edge?

** Your actual cost is not the selling price. It is procurement cost +fees and taxes+packaging +shipping.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is scamming me?

As uninvited advice-- eBay defaults new sellers into Auctions, but most sellers actually use Fixed Price and many add Immediate Payment Required.

With the possible exception of Collectibles, buyers hate Auctions, which keep them waiting for seven days only to be outbid at the last nano-second by a snipe.

Over 85% of transactions are Fixed Price.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply